Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 
Default Gold Coast -> Sydney

Hey guy's, picking up a car next week from the Gold Coast and back to Sydney.

How long does this drive take with mimimal stops and whats the fastest route, Pacific Hwy or New England Hwy?

Cheers.

GTP370 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Im not gonna tellyou untill you post pics of a new toy. Its just the way we do things here LOL. I take the pacific even with the roadworks.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP370
Hey guy's, picking up a car next week from the Gold Coast and back to Sydney.

How long does this drive take with mimimal stops and whats the fastest route, Pacific Hwy or New England Hwy?

Cheers.
Wouldnt recommend the Pacific Hwy (its shorter, but often lots of roadworks, not sure about now, and also known for highway patrol). Best bet wouldbe go inland, New England Hwy, via warwick, glen innes, tamworth, singleton. Journey would take you approx 11 hours non-stop, and assuming your doing the speed limit the whole way. Allowing for breaks, unexpected roadworks, etc, i'd probably say 12 hours max.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

I take the pacific from surfers to newcastle only 1 stop fuel and lunch 8 1/2 hrs average speeds......which for me is about 10 over posted most of the way. Unluck to be done at 110 in 100 but I suppose there is always a first. Some 110 zones on the pacific now. Did 10.5 hrs from sunshine coast to newie in the jeep in the rain in 4hi all the way that was a good drive dont think anything passed me on that one. watch for fixed cameras there are a few of em....

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Pacific highway is the easiest way.
Its all straight forward, and you cant get lost no matter what.

Allow 12 hrs from goldie into Sydney with stops and you will breeze it in without having to push it.

Peice of cake.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

definatly the pacific hway ,more scenic and a better road
XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Excellent breakdown of costs associated with importing a pre-89 car from the U.S.  Very helpful to others and at least two other guys will use the provided info to make their dreams reality.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
Im not gonna tellyou untill you post pics of a new toy. Its just the way we do things here LOL. I take the pacific even with the roadworks.
Hey mate, proud to say I'm the new owner of this beauty.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
XR2DOOR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

`woah !! id go the longest windiest way possible
XR2DOOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ hahaha...

i've done the trip from brisbane to sydney a few times.. down the pacific highway...

takes 11 hours.. even with frequent stops...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Id be proud of that too. Congratulations on the purchase - Now all you need to do is save for a Tom Tom LOL
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #11
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

A friend of mine said he used to always use the New England hwy to Brisbane which he thought was quicker, that was going back about 5 years.

Google indicates the Pacific hwy being quicker, but I thought I would double check.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's not much in it if you start in Brisbane, but from the Gold Coast the Pacific's about 1.5 hours quicker believe me. Prior to cheap air fares Iv'e done it so many times, I could almost do it in my sleep. 9.00 hours pre flash for cash, around 10 now. (who stops for lunch?).

Flash purchase .... were the snaps taken at Sovereign Islands?
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #13
GTP370
2005 BA II GTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
There's not much in it if you start in Brisbane, but from the Gold Coast the Pacific's about 1.5 hours quicker believe me. Prior to cheap air fares Iv'e done it so many times, I could almost do it in my sleep. 9.00 hours pre flash for cash, around 10 now. (who stops for lunch?).

Flash purchase .... were the snaps taken at Sovereign Islands?
Thanks Pedro and everyone else who has posted.

Pics were taken at a servo next to the airport, and the other at the sellers place.