Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Clarkson what the?

OK Seen top gear and Clarkson was testing the v8 monaro which is the vauxhall something? for europe, now he calls it an "aussie car" and in the same sentence says "same engine as the corvette" hm now the 'vette is an American car with an American engine, so how can the car be Australian when the powerplant comes from the USA?

Now as best as I can tell the engine in the car is the vette engine, and yes its an American engine

There are 100% aussie designed and built cars here, but he isn't interested seemingly, which I think is a shame as some of them are very good cars.

Do I have my facts wrong or does Clarkson, and by the way Clarkson Australia has done alot since the rotary clothes line, we are not as dim as you made out. The win/loss ratio for rugby Australia vs England is in our favour, don't get too excited your country stopped eating scones and taking tea to beat us once.

Bring on the flames!

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
OK Seen top gear and Clarkson was testing the v8 monaro which is the vauxhall something? for europe, now he calls it an "aussie car" and in the same sentence says "same engine as the corvette" hm now the 'vette is an American car with an American engine, so how can the car be Australian when the powerplant comes from the USA?

Now as best as I can tell the engine in the car is the vette engine, and yes its an American engine

There are 100% aussie designed and built cars here, but he isn't interested seemingly, which I think is a shame as some of them are very good cars.

Do I have my facts wrong or does Clarkson, and by the way Clarkson Australia has done alot since the rotary clothes line, we are not as dim as you made out. The win/loss ratio for rugby Australia vs England is in our favour, don't get too excited your country stopped eating scones and taking tea to beat us once.

Bring on the flames!
If he were to please you then whatever was left of his segment would not have been very entertaining would it? Entertainment being the key word. By the way I think I watched that episode about 5 years ago?!?!??! Could be wrong though and I am sure there were threads on this very episode on AFF previously?
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Its not his fault that ford didn't have an export program to the UK.

Neverless, he did also say that the XR8 had an american engine, a half truth.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I don;t quite understand what you are saying.

And re: your last paragraph, it's called "taking the p*ss", everyone does it.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

Bring on the flames!
I see, so aussies can wind up the poms but turn the tables and we get all sooky eh.... :

Clarkson is a bloody good fisherman.... :

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

Cheers

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

That was as mentioned above a very old episode

later on in another seriews they tested the Monaro against a jaguar SC v8 and a chrsyler 300C and all three presenters gave the winners jersey to the monaro and were singing its praises
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

I do recall James using the term "you fat aussie slacker!" in referring to it doing 100kmh at 1500rpm,
was a good episode, could have done with a little less "locomotion" though. it's great seeing some of these older episodes as in series 3, oh there are plenty more TG motivationals to go, found them on finalgear.com

Cheers
Dave

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #9
500SEC

By the way, that Monary was 02 plated (meaning registered in the first half of 02). A 52 plate would mean registered in the second half of 02. Pattern in the UK is 03,53,04,54 etc...

But still good to see the re-runs after all these years.

Btw, to the guy who started this thread, think of it as a badge of honour to be criticised by Clarkson.
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 02:26 AM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Ok... So what should he have said that would have satisfied you?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 02:47 AM   #11
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:

Bring on the flames!
think outside the square um maybe its because GM import the monaro to the UK. the monaro is made here and developed here thus an Australian car.

Ford dont import to the UK from Australia its pretty simple

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 08:28 AM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I damn near busted a gut when I saw that, the car saying "you poofter, poofter poofter" had me in tears.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
I damn near busted a gut when I saw that, the car saying "you poofter, poofter poofter" had me in tears.
Yes i liked it, but i don't think he was to impressed with that gizmo. that was the first time i have heard a Aussie voice computer. _2:
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #14
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was very funny, and he was right. Just like you getting all sooky over what he said - very good light entertainment
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"same engine as the corvette" hm now the 'vette is an American car with an American engine, so how can the car be Australian when the powerplant comes from the USA?

Bring on the flames!
hm with this type of acknowledgement on this forum about the origin of the power train in the then and also current V8 Commodore, it kind of makes the thread about the placement of the Chev badge on the grill and boot lid kind of irrelevant then!
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

stupid thread.
Old 15-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I see, so aussies can wind up the poms but turn the tables and we get all sooky eh.... :

Clarkson is a bloody good fisherman.... :
I agree, we dish it out to them all the time, plus that was an old episode when the English had finally won something and they made fun of it and good on them - we (aussies) have been doing it for years

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 11:38 AM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
stupid thread.
+ 1 where's the padlock
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #19
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:

Bring on the flames!

I am having trouble understanding where you're coming from. If you are hurt because the Holden has overseas parts, don't be.... most cars, if not all, have foreign content. Even the humble Falcon six has a pedigree that harks back to US design, probably has a substantial amount of Chinese plastic and electronics and is a subsidiary of a US corporation. It's up to Ford whether they think it's worthwhile to play the Falcon on the world stage, in the meantime at least Holden are waving the Aussie flag for us parochial types.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #20
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Well, Bob Lutz has just recently defended rebadging the Commdore as a Chevrolet, now that Pontiac has been shut down. And when prompted about the outcry due to the fact that GM is now US Government owned and funded, but an Australian car might be used to revive the Chevrolet Caprice name and potentially replace the ageing US build Ford Crown Vics - his response was “While the large (rear-wheel-drive) cars may be made in Australia, they are an integral part of GM, contain US-built engines and transmissions and numerous other components, and are so ‘American’ in character that I don't believe the law enforcement agencies would have any problems with the assembly origin of the vehicle. Plus, they'll love it,” he said.

(Bob Lutz quote from http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=64304&vf=2)

I guess in this case not being an Australian car might work in their favour....

Lukeyson
Old 15-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #21
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
Well, Bob Lutz has just recently defended rebadging the Commdore as a Chevrolet, now that Pontiac has been shut down. And when prompted about the outcry due to the fact that GM is now US Government owned and funded, but an Australian car might be used to revive the Chevrolet Caprice name and potentially replace the ageing US build Ford Crown Vics - his response was “While the large (rear-wheel-drive) cars may be made in Australia, they are an integral part of GM, contain US-built engines and transmissions and numerous other components, and are so ‘American’ in character that I don't believe the law enforcement agencies would have any problems with the assembly origin of the vehicle. Plus, they'll love it,” he said.

(Bob Lutz quote from http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=64304&vf=2)

I guess in this case not being an Australian car might work in their favour....

Lukeyson
It's been exported badged as a Chevrolet for about 9-10 years now to the middle east. Hopefully they keep the standard Holden front bars, the Pontiac bars induce vomiting.

Edit: The Arabs love drifting them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A4gpsPGJuM

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #22
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS

Holy crap.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
It's been exported badged as a Chevrolet for about 9-10 years now to the middle east. Hopefully they keep the standard Holden front bars, the Pontiac bars induce vomiting.
I actually reckon the Ponty front end on the VE looks better than the Holden one
Old 15-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #24
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

Paradise beckons......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #25
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:

My god, obvisouly no OH&S or Victorian Pollies over there!

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #26
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I agree that it is absolutely incredibly stupid to the max, I still can't get over how incredibly skilful these Arab drift manoeuvres actually are!

And as for the Crown Vic, well isn't that essentially an American car built by the Cunnucks?
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #27
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
While I agree that it is absolutely incredibly stupid to the max, I still can't get over how incredibly skilful these Arab drift manoeuvres actually are!

And as for the Crown Vic, well isn't that essentially an American car built by the Cunnucks?
At the moment it is yes, at the St Thomas Assembly Plant. Hasn't always been so.
Old 15-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #28
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Holy crap.
There was a video of one of those crazy arab drifters doing it in a camry at night and he basically wrapped it around a pole as the car was on its side crushing the roof. This drifting madness in the middle east is more dangerous than the cast of queer eye ending up in a bikie bar.

BTW, am really sick of that stupid song being attached to every bloody video ever invented on Youtube.

Quote: