Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
XC-351

Exclamation P PLATERS alowed to drive turbo and V8's (vic)

I guess its now sort of official that people on there red P's are now able to drive turbo or v8 as long as if its a family orientated car and has 125KW per tonn...

personaly as a red p plater i think its a sort of good idea, i am now able to drive my 67 xr fairmont, and my dads 351 F100 (if i need to)

i still think it was a safe move (even though i didnt agree) however its been said a 1000 times a person can speed in any car turbo or not...

Off the vic roads site

Permission to Drive Lower-Performance Turbocharged or Supercharged Cars
Drivers who obtained their probationary licence on or after 1 July 2007 can drive some lower-performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles. These vehicles generally have improved safety features and greater fuel-efficiency and can be driven by probationary drivers.

Probationary drivers may apply to drive vehicles with 6 cylinders or less that are:

* turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio of less than 100kW per tonne;
* turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio between 100kW and 125kW per tonne and that are considered to be a family type vehicle (4 seats or more) rather than a sports type vehicle.

A family type vehicle is a sedan, station wagon or hatch normally used to carry families/passengers with 4 or more seats and is equipped with child restraint anchorages and does not include sports cars eg a two door coupe.

Vehicles with eight cylinders or more, family type-type vehicles with more than 125KW per tonne or other vehicles with more than 100KW per tonne will NOT be granted under this scheme.

Probationary drivers may drive diesel-powered supercharged and turbocharged vehicles provided they have no more than 6 cylinders. No exemption is required.

Examples of vehicles that are NOT lower performance turbocharged or supercharged cars and must not be driven by probationary drivers include::

AUDI TT QUATTRO 2D COUPE 4 1781 cc TURBO Multi 6 speed Manual
BMW 335i E92 2D COUPE 6 2979 cc TWIN TURBO F/INJ 6 speed Automatic
FORD FALCON XR6 TURBO BA 4D SEDAN 6 3984 cc TURBO Multi 5 speed Manual
MAZDA 6 MPS 5D SEDAN 4 2261 cc TURBO F/INJ 6 speed Manual
SUBARU IMPREZA WRX 4D SEDAN 4 1994 cc TURBO Multi 5 speed Manual

Probationary drivers can apply to drive lower-performance turbocharged or supercharged cars by completing an application form.

You can download a copy of an application form or telephone 13 11 71 to be sent a copy.

Application to drive a Lower Performance Supercharged/Turbocharged Vehicle

Completed application forms must be returned to:

VicRoads
Exemptions
Locked Bag 5000
KEW VIC 3101

Probationary drivers granted an exemption will receive notification in writing.

For further information contact Tel 131171.

Penalties

From 1 July 2007, the penalty for driving a high powered vehicle will be three demerit points and a maximum fine of approximately $1100. These penalties will apply to both the former power to weight restrictions and the current high powered vehicles restrictions.

Old 30-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11262464
Old 30-06-2009, 11:46 PM   #3
XC-351

my bad got a link
Old 30-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did they change the rules back , I thought that a p-plater could not drive any turbo/sc or v8
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Link is in the thread above ....but was closed. Like all things related to P platers and Turbo's, they inevitably all turn to crap.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
XC-351

sort of, but its not exactly the same...

i love the fact that they write:
A family type vehicle is a sedan, station wagon or hatch normally used to carry families/passengers with 4 or more seats and is equipped with child restraint anchorages and does not include sports cars eg a two door coupe

even though those on there Red P's have no use for a family sized car considering they can only have 1 passenger

thanks for the link

read the other thread its a bit different but feel free to close this thread if neccasary
Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
jasjul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XR6
sort of, but its not exactly the same...

i love the fact that they write:
A family type vehicle is a sedan, station wagon or hatch normally used to carry families/passengers with 4 or more seats and is equipped with child restraint anchorages and does not include sports cars eg a two door coupe

even though those on there Red P's have no use for a family sized car considering they can only have 1 passenger

Read the other thread its a bit different but feel free to close this thread if neccasary

Only 1 peer passenger, 15-21 age bracket. You can fill a car with your family or people outside that age bracket.