Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default F1 technology (KERS) in new S class

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2...0-hybrid-15366

while there is no mention of 'kers' (kinetic energy recovery system) as used in F1, it is clearly the same principle. the article does make numerous digs at the 'other' hybrid technology though.

i think this is a great system, and as soon as it appeared in F1, i felt for sure it would filter through.

merc have always been at the forefront of technology. i love their products.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Paxton
Cobblers!

I have to say this - KERS is overrated.

Brawn don't use KERS, and haven't had any trouble winning races. Whilst I like the idea in concept, I think cost and complexity will keep this out of Mainstream cars until well into the future.

As the old adage goes, if you want to see your average car in 20 years time, look at an S Class today.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.

Last edited by Paxton; 17-06-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

in F1 it may be overrated at the moment (RBR don't use it either). i was merely commenting on it finding its way into road cars.

the s class comment may be true though, hadn't heard that before. good one.
Old 17-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #4
bf tubs

remember that not everyone in f1 used turbos but how useful and popular are they now
 bf tubs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #5
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

they banned the turbos once the 1.5ltr Hondas were banging out around 1400BHP!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
kpcart
Banned

mclaren mercedes has built a great kers system, can overtake any other f1 car on a straight with ease because of the system. pity the rest of the car is crap and cant hold speed through corners. Brawn will win the championship this year, but next year when kers is compulsory, they will fade and mclaren, renault, ferrari will come back to the fold as they are already using kers this year and will be a years worth of kers development infront of teams like brawn and redbull (who are relishing not having to use kers, as kers adds extra weight to the car). brawn and redbull in theory will slip back next year and beyond, as they are behind in development for 2010 and beyondcars. they are living in now, and not the future, and taking the accolades nowat the expense of future achievements.... BUT I MAY ENTIRELY WRONG, if the FOTA-FIA was isnt settled and a new breakaway f1`series is formed.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
prydey
Rob

this thread was not so much about F1 (there is a 'pits' section for that), but about how merc have already implemented a very similar system to KERS in their road car.

there is no button to push but there must be sensors or something to know when to use the stored battery power, eg. under acceleration. early days but hats off to merc i reckon.
Old 18-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

It must be like a mild overboost. It was introduced to F1 to try and force the development of similar systems in road cars, so it looks like it may justify some of the hype.

I’m always conscious of the “lost” energy from brakes. Up to 600 degrees at the front at some tracks (relatively heavy car). Especially on track days where my small engined car can go pretty deep in to a corner under brakes then loses to torque/acceleration out of tight corners…..Thinks this might change things when tracking road cars. Rather than maintain high corner speeds it may be an advantage in certain corners to just jam hard on the brakes and use the recovered energy to slingshot out the other side.

I would love to try it at Sandown coming on to the front & back straights, Phillip Island at Honda corner, Winton at Dudleys elbow, around cleavage and the squirt or at Calder coming up to Mount Jane.

Re: F1 Brawn are sharing drivelines with McLaren and Force India, I wonder if there is a technology sharing agreement with their KERS systems? A lot of the smaller teams seem to be buddying up to the larger teams due to the high cost of developing a KERS system.

I also wonder how much pressure Mercedes brought to bear on McLaren to run KERS in their F1 cars this year (seeing as they could use it as a marketing platform for their road cars)?

Last edited by Rev28K; 18-06-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Sounds like a bit of creative marketing, don't all Hybrids use regenerative braking systems?
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post