Yes, but only if it is needed for mechanical reasons 27 20.61%
Yes, the bulge is tough and says POWER 86 65.65%
Yes, but only as an option like stripes or decals 6 4.58%
No, it would become rice and a laughing stock 12 9.16%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #31
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I think they will keep it. I remember reading somewhere, when they were designing the FG they were not sure what they were going to do with the Buldge. They then asked around and realised that the buldge did have to stay and in fact they decided it should be larger. So hence the FG buldge is bigger than the B-Series buldge.

I havent compaired them side by side, but I do think the FG one is slightly larger. So to me that gives a clue as to the future of the buldge.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #32
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
although not a falcon, the ford family does have some tradition with the "bulge". Remember the TC-TD cortinas ?

gotta keep the bulge !!

& dont forget the RS3100 capris
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #33
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Another vote for the bulge.

It is just such a quick identifier for V8's. You can see the bulge coming from a mile away. And the profile image of an XR8 or a GT is just awesome with the bulge.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #34
WASP
Whipple Induced

One thing I miss on XR6T is not having the bulge. If no bulge, then a modern ram air intake would be my preference. To do nothing on a GT in my book would be a major dissapointment. The stripes on a GT serve no technical purpose either, but ....

Colville
Old 27-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #35
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
While the bulge looks good from outside , from a drivers perspective inside the car, when comparing my GT to my old I6 BA I'd prefer the 6 bonnet with no bulge
I totally agree, plus if the bulge is not needed why did they make it bigger on the FG, I could not get the FG with the bulge as my wife could never have driven it, blocked her view too much.
Old 27-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #36
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
While the bulge looks good from outside , from a drivers perspective inside the car, when comparing my GT to my old I6 BA I'd prefer the 6 bonnet with no bulge
Only time I wish I didn't have one is when the suns glaring off it, always happens on a dead straight highway.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #37
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

I thought that the "cat scratches" were on EF, and the EL had more of a "scallop" for lack of a better word.
The bulge should stay, even if for no other reason it is an identity.
Old 27-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #38
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

If its down to cosmetics why shouldnt the turbo also have the 'bulge'? Otherwise that XR6T looks just like the Hertz car I dropped off at the airport a week ago....

The bonnet might have started from necessity, but to me its about presence, and presence sells cars. Offer it as a factory option. Just like a wing spoiler on a XT, like the additional kit on the old EF/EL XR's. PRESENCE. I see a XR8 or FPV I dont think 'wow a V8!'. V8's IMHO are no longer on the pedestal they were. I think 'that looks GREAT on the road', thats my thought. It has real presence the bulge-less cars lack at a glance.

The more of these cars they sell the longer they have a reason to produce them. Otherwise we'll be ordering Mondeos without a bulge sooner than later as Fords 'large car'. If it helps Ford sell more XR's / FPV's keep it, and make it an option on their power leaders. Damn I'd order one on a F6, Id like someone to argue a FG F6 doesnt suit it.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post