Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
outside
off in outer space

Default how fast

would you trust the speed reading on a GPS?
are they right? one would think so but how do you really know, short of getting yourself booked for speeding.

Old 24-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my navman is spot on, just go through one of those speed check things and compare speeds
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
outside
off in outer space

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOJ
my navman is spot on, just go through one of those speed check things and compare speeds
do have any here in the hunter that i know of
Old 24-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
EB_5.0_WAGON
Formerly known as NUDGE

I would trust a GPS/Navman more than i would trust the speedo in the truck i was driving.

Always been accurate never got a fine while i was using it.
2004 Toyota Prado GXL
EB_5.0_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

The gps speed seems to be spot on, check mine against the speed cheek 5 days a week, BUT, I no longer trust the speed alert/ speed zone component, got done 17 over after missing a drop to 80 sign on hols last month.

The copper said "thats not an excuse", even though the GPS still showed I was in a hundred zone !

Should be watching where im going and not the speedo all the time, thats a bit hard in vic, 11 fixed speed cameras between NSW border and my home in Geelong !

Vic, "the revenue state"

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant
Should be watching where im going and not the speedo all the time, thats a bit hard in vic, 11 fixed speed cameras between NSW border and my home in Geelong !
shouldn't you only need to watch the speedo at the same 11 points each trip - and the road for the rest of the time to see where the mobile ones are
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

absolutly.
Being so paranoid about your speed takes the enjoyment out of just cruising these days.

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

i use the speed reading on my gps more then i would use the speedo on the car the gps shows me doing 100 and my car speedo would show me on 108. so i use that and havent been booked yet. i think they are pretty accurate and i know the car speedo are out. there designed like that from factory

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant
absolutly.
Being so paranoid about your speed takes the enjoyment out of just cruising these days.
that is true - cruising was much more fun 22 years ago than now, i suppose in my case though, we would just drive anywhere and not care about fuel or things breaking - as we get older we care more about funds and with each passing year, we add another year of hating other road users to our count

sorry to get off topic, now to get back on - i have not had any experience with gps units, but my na fairlane and 121 speedos do seem very accurate, usually reading a little (2-5ks) lower than the speed guides. you would think that the better gps units should be fairly accurate though - some of them are pretty amazing with their directions and distances
if you are not sure though, maybe use the lower reading - it may cost a few extra seconds, but hopefully some decent dollars
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have done a lot of testing of this over many years.
I have a magellan GPS that I checked against Sydney radar at speeds up to over 400km/h and it was always spot on.
I also have my own KR10 mobile radar and have checked my tom tom and navman against it (navman up to 190km/h, tomtom only to 110km/h) and again they all agree.
Further to this I have checked my tom tom against a LIDAR that a friend of mine keeps in his pannier and again it is spot on.

So the short answer is YEP.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #11
Paxton
Cobblers!

My TomTom is pretty good.

I've been setting my Cruise Control to that, rather than the Speedo, and haven't yet had a fine or been pulled over. They are far more reliable than a mechanical/electric speedo.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Regarding the TomTom, why did they name it twice?? :
Old 25-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #13
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ cos youd sound like a fag calling it a tom

"ohh yeh i unzipped it and grabbed my tom. touched the right spots and off we went"

yeh or something like that

dads 4 year old tomtom was spot on with a dyno speed check i did in my old car
ie when on the dyno i got all the road speeds compared to speedo readout on paper and tried them out on the road with the tomtom

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #14
fordfalconfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside
would you trust the speed reading on a GPS?
are they right? one would think so but how do you really know, short of getting yourself booked for speeding.
my mums Garmin nuvi navigator GPS is accurate we went through a speed check thing outside Melbourne and it was right.
fordfalconfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 01:23 AM   #15
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

We use our Navman in the coupe. We test it through the speed checks too and it seems spot on. The only issue we seem to have with it is it gives wrong directions all the time like Turn left on the middle of the Westgate bridge.

Maybe it thinks our car is a submarine??
Old 25-05-2009, 01:38 AM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

GPS are accurate (can locate where you are within 30cm).
When they were originally released they were purposely made less accurate so you had military and commercial levels. This has been taken away. So you can trust them for speed readings.

Funnily enough I tested one against the trip computer avg speed (reset the avg speed and saw the current speed reading of the car) and it was within 1km/h. So something to keep in mind.
Old 25-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #17
FPV GT40
Banned

I have a mate thats been in Highway patrol for over 10 years, and he has tested the GPS navigators extensively, and they are spot on in the speed reading down to 1Km/hr.

He recommends people use the sat nav speed reading over their car one, as at different speeds the car speedo can be out to varying degrees. (Your speedo being out is no excuse or defence against a speeding ticket, as it is your responsibility to ensure your car is working correctly)

ie it might be out by 3 km/hr at 40Km/hr, while it might be 15km/hr out at 110km/hr.

If you have an older car (even a new one) check you speedo with a gps at all road speeds so you know its right, or how much its out by.

My FPV reads spot on at all speeds compared to the GPS, so its a very accurate speedo that I can trust at this stage.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #18
Ross-b
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GT40
I have a mate thats been in Highway patrol for over 10 years, and he has tested the GPS navigators extensively, and they are spot on in the speed reading down to 1Km/hr.

He recommends people use the sat nav speed reading over their car one, as at different speeds the car speedo can be out to varying degrees. (Your speedo being out is no excuse or defence against a speeding ticket, as it is your responsibility to ensure your car is working correctly)

ie it might be out by 3 km/hr at 40Km/hr, while it might be 15km/hr out at 110km/hr.

If you have an older car (even a new one) check you speedo with a gps at all road speeds so you know its right, or how much its out by.

My FPV reads spot on at all speeds compared to the GPS, so its a very accurate speedo that I can trust at this stage.
there was a clause in the nsw sdro guidlines to get your fine reviewed if you had proof that the car speedo was out by more then 10% (as long as you werent speeding by more then 10%) they got rid of this halfway through reviewing my case though :|

Recent Car
Ross-b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

GPS's may lose their accuracy.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=63057
Old 25-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #20
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Psh, I often have a fix from 8 sat's.
Only 13/31 are past their design lifetime, I'm sure there will still be enough to have a fix on the required three.
Old 25-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkr
Psh, I often have a fix from 8 sat's.
Only 13/31 are past their design lifetime, I'm sure there will still be enough to have a fix on the required three.
You need 4 sats.