Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Advice needed - episode 1

This will probably get removed, but maybe I can get a few responses before it does. I will give you a brief background, then I will ask the question.
14 months ago I made a decision to buy a 4WD to tow my jet ski on regular trips to Murray bridge in SA. I desparately needed more room inside and boot space and pulling power for this trip. I did the rounds checking out various softroaders. Then petrol prices went nuts and closer to purchase time, it was $1.60 a litre and increasing by the week. Dad (rip) told me buy an LPG car or your crazy. It had to be factory LPG. The FG wasn’t around so I had a good look at the BF, and of course, the VE. It got down which boot could fit my sons kneeboard….so the VE won
Fast forward to 2009. Murray bridge water levels dropped so low that the council has posted 4WD signs at EVERY ramp for 140kms along the river. So summer is over and its not so important now, but next summer (6 months) we cant use river anymore. My car has dropped $10,000 in value now (valued by dealer) so do I trade in my VE for a newish 4WD and lose a car I really love driving (and kiss 10,000 away!)….or keep the VE and buy an old ‘weekend’ 4WD that has still got good supply of parts. For those not familiar with SA, the closest place along the murray with enough water to launch safely is a 380KM round trip from my house. Too much for one day, and the caravan park is in inundated with other people in same predicament so they are booked constantly.
The EA is for my son from April next year so its on ‘light duties’.
If you recon keep to VE, then can you get reliable 4WD for under $10,000?

FG XR6 (son)

Last edited by jphanna; 23-05-2009 at 08:40 PM.
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #2
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Could just get an old Pajero. Mid-late 90s. I dont think they would be too much these days. Landcruisers will still be expensive.

Or could always get an Explorer.......
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
MAV50L
Banned

GQ Patrol or Ford Maverick. If you cant get a GQ nowdays for under 6k your not looking hard enough.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
AUIIForte

Mate, check out the Mitsubishi Challenger's. Great off roaders, great on petrol and plenty of space.

You can pick a 2001-2002 model up for just under $10,000 if you have a good look. You can't go wrong!
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
Valid8
COOGES

Slow crossflow picked up a couple of Mavericks for around $4000 each and they are in good nick.
Valid8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Rangas GTP

Keep the VE, move to QLD and ski in your own backyard.
Rangas GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
notty1978
NOTTY

get a cheap 4x4 dual cab
notty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2009, 11:31 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangas GTP
Keep the VE, move to QLD and ski in your own backyard.
: so true
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #9
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

GQ Patrol diesel. Can't kill it with a baseball bat let alone a stick. .Go the 4.2 if you can find one, They are a lazy engine but so understressed they go forever and will walk you up the side of a wall without breaking a sweat.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #10
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

+2 for the GQ patrol as a second vehicle.

While it won't have performance that your use to, it will pull anything along comfortably. And being tough as nails, you won't have any problems with it. Just make sure you go the 4.2 diesel... petrols suck...
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #11
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys are the BEST!

i have written down the ones suggested and will do some deep thinking over winter as well as start sussing the classifieds to get a feel for them. (who said its only Korean cars that depreciate like crazy...$10,000 in one year!)

I can use the ski in the ocean on my own, but i bought it for the family, and thats why the murray river is so important for family fun.
FG XR6 (son)
Old 24-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #12
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

buy a 96-2000 turbo diesel pajero.. you wont beleve how good they are on fuel..
plus they drive more like a car than a truck
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How often do you need a 4wd? Just rent one when you need it.
Seems crazy to spend money on a 4wd, rego, tyres, insurance, maintenance etc if you are only going to use it once a fortnight or month in the warmer months
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Seems crazy to spend money on a 4wd, rego, tyres, insurance, maintenance etc if you are only going to use it once a fortnight or month in the warmer months
100% Correct.
Old 24-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #15
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin

in the space of the period from october to April, i would do 20 - 25 or so trips to the river. it is a waste of money to have a part time vehicle, but when i see the enjoyment my family have, i cant put a price on that.

I see it like this, many ford forum guys have in their garages, mustangs, american classics, Aussie classics, convertibles, GT falcons (old and new), icon cars, that are only brought out on sunny weekends or for cruises with other people with same types of cars.

i recon if i walked up to one of those guys and suggested that its a waste of money having the car in the garage only to be used periodically.....he would kick my azz.

Maybe if some of that huge amount of water falling in the eastern states, finds its way in the Murray i can save my cash. (for those that are affected by the floods over there i hope that you can get out of the situation safely and with minimal damage)
FG XR6 (son)
Old 24-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You dont need a GQ to launch a jet ski!!

I'd sell the VE privatly, and buy a decent soft roader, ie. late 90's 3L pajero on gas. somthing you can live with all year round.

There's no point buying and maintaining a full sized 4wd for only 3-4 months of the year.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

The good thing though is if you got the second vehicle, you would be able to use it as a weekender with the boys or family and head out bush or beach. Once you done a bit of 4wd'ing, its hard going back to a road car
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #18
vik351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97
The good thing though is if you got the second vehicle, you would be able to use it as a weekender with the boys or family and head out bush or beach. Once you done a bit of 4wd'ing, its hard going back to a road car

Dont know about that...

On the way to the Murray Mouth...

vik...Tide was coming in... : : : first 4WD trip...
vik351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #19
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik351
Dont know about that...

On the way to the Murray Mouth...

vik...Tide was coming in... : : : first 4WD trip...

you now what you opened up here....you can do the honours as you deserve it.

'a worst 4WD experience thread'. go on do it, i never had one as i never been 4WDing before, but those pics you sent, i cant help but laugh.
FG XR6 (son)