Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Default Any body know this car?

A work mate dug up this picture of his step fathers xc hardtop.. He is not much of a car guy and did not know to much about it... From what it looks like, it has the red an blue stripe like the famous 1-2 bathurst car..

He told me it was like that from new.. Could it be a horn car? or a sticker kit? To me it looks like a v8 xc hard top..?? Car was driven around padstow/revesby in sydney in the late 70's.. Does any1 know about this car?? or another with similar stickers?

VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Someone in the coupe club might know more about it...We have a meeting tonight. I will print off the pic and ask them.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

That would be great!! I have just never seen stickers like that on a road car that was "factory".. he said it was a 4.9 and as you can see a sunroof.. sweet ride if you ask me.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
outside
off in outer space

its a allan moffat special
Old 12-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside
its a allan moffat special
Dont think it is mate

They had a Aussie flag on the front doors with AM signature and as far as I know and they were only available in 4 doors

Of course I may be wrong!

http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/more_specials.html
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
outside
off in outer space

check here http://www.allanmoffat.com.au/again/photogallery.htm
Old 12-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

thanks outside, but the link is to a race car not a production car

we all know the bathurst 1-2 cars had those stripes!

http://media.photobucket.com/image/1...fatBond1-2.jpg

Last edited by gcg2503; 12-05-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: pic of 1 - 2
Old 12-05-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i would think it is not factory set of stripes. the roof antenna is aftermarket so maybe someone added the stickers and antenna when the car was still fairly new

the horn cars resembled john goss' race cars, because he was sponsored by mcleod ford who made them. i doubt they would ever have done one to resemble moff's car
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GTXB67

Gday mate, I thought antennas were all dealer fitted in the X series cars?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
GTXB67

Gday mate, I thought antennas were all dealer fitted in the X series cars?
roof ones or left hand guard ones

i had thought they came from the factory with the antenna on the left front guard. i had thought the roof mounted antennas were part of the 80's craze and were fitted by owners - thought anyway
Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I asked the guys at the Coupe club meeting tonight and the general consensus was that it looks as if someone personalised it with stickers...similar to a horn car or it may be a dealer fitted them as a one off. (Promo car)
Old 12-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #12
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
roof ones or left hand guard ones

i had thought they came from the factory with the antenna on the left front guard. i had thought the roof mounted antennas were part of the 80's craze and were fitted by owners - thought anyway

No- some were fitted with roof antennas (mounted centre front of roof) from factory too....only just learned this pretty recently myself.

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #13
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There were a few ford dealers who fitted the 'Moffat Ford Dealers' stripes to the sides and bonnet. There used to be a a couple of four doors getting around like it too.

Dealers used to customize cars to capitalize on the 'race on sunday, sell on monday' mantra.

A ford dealer down south did it in 1975 with moff's thorn red and gold xb's and bryan byrt did it with dick's blue xc.

Get a cheaper package (250 or 302 gs, no air, no steer) and throw some stripes on it.

In Brisbane, a dealer couldn't get enough of the 4 door allan moffat specials (xc sedan with xb gt blackouts). He just started applying the blackouts to to xc falcon 500's. Some were full house v8's, many were 302's but most were were 4.1's. The 4.1 badges were removed and a superoo decal or aussie flag placed over the hole. I think it was metro Ford coz they used to do a few nice looking cars that were pretty uninspiring mechanically.

I currently have a base model xc falcon (not a 500), with 3.3, coloumn auto, vinyl bench seats, vinyl floor mats but bought new in outback bronze with bone vinyl rood and 14x7 cheviot hotwires. Car has white trim. Looked great, but was a taxi pack! Metro sold many like that (including mine).

I used to have a white falcon 500 (4.1, bucket seats) with xb gt blackouts and mags. I bought it off my cousin, who bought it new like that. I sold it on a while back but hope to get it back.

These cars probably aren't worth anything more than the base model pack they are based on, but......who knows
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 01:57 AM   #14
blackwood
FiSTed

Interesting front spoiler on that car. Looks fairly different to the usual option 96/7 spoiler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
blackwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 02:45 AM   #15
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not a horn car, they had the stripes running up the c pillar and over the roof.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 09:20 PM   #16
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I asked the guys at the Coupe club meeting tonight and the general consensus was that it looks as if someone personalised it with stickers...similar to a horn car or it may be a dealer fitted them as a one off. (Promo car)
Thats what i was thinking mate... I never seen anything like that on a production car so must just be a sticker to match that 1 on the race car and that is that.
Old 13-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #17
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAREV8
No- some were fitted with roof antennas (mounted centre front of roof) from factory too....only just learned this pretty recently myself.
looks like i have learnt something new . . . again

i would think they were done as a one off. maybe by the dealer, but i would think if a dealer did them, they would be more accurate. the black outline is missing, the shape of the blue one especially at the back looks slightly different and (depending on the sunlight) they look a little bright
i am not trying to put them down, but if a dealer did them, i would assume they were a one off almost as a favour to original owner

it certainly would have looked the goods back when new - would have turned heads a fair bit