Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
Sprint347
Tickford

Default GM and Chrysler to leave NASCAR by 2010

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ascar_car_news

In a move sure to spark outrage, the White House announced today that GM and Chrysler must cease participation in NASCAR at the end of the 2009 season if they hope to receive any additional financial aid from the government. Companies around the globe—Honda and Audi, to name two—have drawn down racing operations, and NASCAR itself has already felt the pinch in the form of reduced team spending. A complete withdrawal from America’s premier racing series is expected to save more than $250 million between GM and Chrysler, a substantial amount considering the drastic measures being implemented elsewhere.

“Automakers used to operate on the principle of ‘win on Sunday, sell on Monday,’ but the Auto Task Force’s research just doesn’t validate that as true,” said the statement from President Obama. While fans have decried the Car of Tomorrow for heavily limiting what little personalization the cookie-cutter series had previously allowed to participating manufacturers, and drivers have slammed its brick-like aerodynamics and unpredictable handling, even the governmental oversight committee sees that the full-scale regulation of the cars leaves the manufacturers very little space for research and development. “NASCAR is a racing series that regulates down to the smallest detail of the cars, where a car badged a Chevrolet or Dodge differs only marginally from a Ford or a Toyota. There’s no technological development to speak of.”

The statement goes on further to say the same demand will be made of Ford if it asks for government assistance. “In order to receive this money, corporations must demonstrate they will spend it wisely. Racing has been said to improve on-road technology, but frankly, NASCAR almost flaunts its standing among the lowest-tech forms of motorsport. NASCAR is not proven to drive advancements that transfer from the racetrack to the road, and this nation’s way forward does not hinge on decades-old technology. We need new, and we need innovation.”

The President realizes this will be an unpopular call, but stands behind the decision, saying, “This is an obvious cut to make, but it is not an easy one. This administration is not ignoring the tremendous sentimental value and emotional appeal NASCAR holds for so many Americans. But now is not the time for sentiment and nostalgia; now is a time for decisive financial action. If our automotive industry is to emerge from this recession intact, then these difficult decisions must be made.”

Both Chevrolet and Dodge see the move as only temporary, and fully expect to resume racing in NASCAR as soon as they have stabilized and the government’s hand in their operations is minimized. “There is nothing really to say at this point,” said one representative, who wished to remain anonymous. “We’ve been doing this since the beginning, and we always assumed we’d be doing this until the end. Heck, nobody ever thought to think that there would be an end. But we ain’t done. As soon as this is over, we’re taking back our spot at the top.”

NASCAR officials remain tight-lipped about the call, but sources say series president Mike Helton and team managers are exploring several options, including other manufacturers to fill Chevrolet and Dodge’s vacated positions. Given the company’s recent interest in motorsport and the steady cash-flow and V-8 engine provided by its new Genesis sedan, sources indicate that NASCAR is pinging Hyundai to gauge the Korean company’s interest in occupying a spot in NASCAR. “Toyota was not well-received their first year in the sport, nor was their first season an easy one,” the source says. “But they learned, they applied the lessons, and they have proven very competitive this year.”

If Hyundai does indeed join the series, there will no doubt be a steep learning curve, and the move would leave Ford the lone domestic battling a pair of Asian makes in America’s most popular racing series. We wonder, however, how long NASCAR could hold that title without two of its most storied participants.

SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Nice try ;) April Fools!
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Good on Obama!
Old 01-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #4
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I posed this question to the top brass at Ford last year or the year before. I asked why Ford puts so much weight into participating in NASCAR when so little of the car is actually "Ford".

The response I got was that NASCAR fans, no matter which brand they cheer for, are very loyal to that brand and are likely to own several vehicles from that brand, and will buy again from that brand. Whichever brand dominates the wins sees it's sales increase, not necessarily because more people want that brand, but those that are already loyal to it are proud to buy a new vehicle of that brand because of it's notoriety in NASCAR.

I hope I explained that well enough.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Yeah that makes sence! Plug up some of GM's finacial leaks. I highly doubt that this is an April Fools joke!

I know you're not supposed to like politicians but this guy has a brain (which he uses, shock gasp horror), even if he does things that will not be popular.

To be honest I cant care less if Nascar looses GM, Ford, Toyota etc and goes belly up. Its always been a 'hick' car racing series anyway. Just a shame that it could effect Marcus. But Im sure there will be room in the racing series back home?!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Im sick of reading posts that ain't true!!
Old 01-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Yeah that makes sence! Plug up some of GM's finacial leaks. I highly doubt that this is an April Fools joke!

I know you're not supposed to like politicians but this guy has a brain (which he uses, shock gasp horror), even if he does things that will not be popular.
It's obviously an April Fools joke.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
MAV50L
Banned

Another April fools joke done after 12pm..................................
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I vote for no april fool post's and those that do, a week's or so ban, it's useless and wasting time, we come here to read good post's, not idiot's that want to waste time , time and time again just because other's have done so before them, get a life.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I vote for no april fool post's and those that do, a week's or so ban, it's useless and wasting time, we come here to read good post's, not idiot's that want to waste time , time and time again just because other's have done so before them, get a life.
Grump, In a world of doom and gloom little things like this provide a bit of fun.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Grump, In a world of doom and gloom little things like this provide a bit of fun.
He makes a good point.... 1 thread per fools day is enough, its hard enough to decipher the crud from the facts at the best of time.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
He makes a good point.... 1 thread per fools day is enough, its hard enough to decipher the crud from the facts at the best of time.
Combine thread like what happens to others? Moved to the bar?

Happens once a year, and most of the titles gave it away...

HSV buying prodrive

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yeah, and that's just from the Cleveland section...

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #14
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

DANG, I was on guard all day and nobody got me. I'm on this forums for 2mins and I get fooled.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #15
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
I posed this question to the top brass at Ford last year or the year before. I asked why Ford puts so much weight into participating in NASCAR when so little of the car is actually "Ford".

The response I got was that NASCAR fans, no matter which brand they cheer for, are very loyal to that brand and are likely to own several vehicles from that brand, and will buy again from that brand. Whichever brand dominates the wins sees it's sales increase, not necessarily because more people want that brand, but those that are already loyal to it are proud to buy a new vehicle of that brand because of it's notoriety in NASCAR.

I hope I explained that well enough.

Steve
In other words *dons a cletus accent* "Dang ma, let's go out 'n get us a new Silverado cus muh boy Jimmie jus won another, I said another Sprint Cup"
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #16
RED FGII
Formerly EL-351

Oh well, theres an opening there now for a V8 round in the states!!!!!!!!!
I recon they would love em...............
Old 02-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #17
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Hey April fools joke 'rules' state that you it stops at 12am doesnt it?!

I was being careful, and checked the post time and everything!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #18
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
Hey April fools joke 'rules' state that you it stops at 12am doesnt it?!

I was being careful, and checked the post time and everything!
12pm mate.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #19
TERMINATOR X
3000 CCA STARTER MOTOR

April fools joke? Dont you blokes take any notice of whats going on?
TERMINATOR X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #20
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERMINATOR X
April fools joke? Dont you blokes take any notice of whats going on?
Did you bother checking the link??
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...fools_car_news

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post