Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #31
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Anybody go today and what type of aircraft were on, I'm thinking of going either tomorrow or Sun depending on the weather????, what is the weather susposed to do, anybody know???.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Anybody go today and what type of aircraft were on, I'm thinking of going either tomorrow or Sun depending on the weather????, what is the weather susposed to do, anybody know???.
Hammering down rain here, very bad day for it.

Yesterday I could hear the jets roaring around all day, and i'm about 30 k's away.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2009, 03:32 PM   #33
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Hammering down rain here, very bad day for it.

Yesterday I could hear the jets roaring around all day, and i'm about 30 k's away.
Thank's mate, yeah I decided againt's it for today as the rain, but I'm hoping to head down there tomorrow, they say isolated showers for tomorrow so hopefully thats all there is.
Old 14-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #34
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Anyone know what the outlook for tomorrow in Gelong is supsosed to be, I have heard isolated showers and the chance of hail ????.
Old 14-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #35
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
from bom.com.au

Forecast for Sunday
Cloudy. Isolated showers and the chance of hail and thunder. Winds west to southwesterly averaging up to 45 km/h.

Geelong Chance of storms. Showers. Min11 Max19
i heard from a customer at work that a plane was turned over in the wind when it hit but have not seen anything on the news or the likes tonight

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #36
iCat
doof doof doof doof

went today - rain this morning was pretty bad, but spent a few hours in the tents and all was well.

the flying display was the best display of jets i have seen at the Avalon show, except for the first one where they had the russians attend.

that A380 is SO HUGE! the flying display of it was fantastic, and it was awesome to be so close to it on the runway.

very good day and well worth the money. :
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #37
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you could always just watch it from where the lara overpass is.
Old 15-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #38
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We got a little show from where we were playing paintball up near the You Yangs. Saw 3 choppers in close formation and a few relatively low passes right over us - an F111 I think making a few trips. There was a firing range next door which made the paintball markers we had seem so much less awesome.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #39
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

I went on the saturday for the first time. Was a shame for the rain at the start but when it cleared the rest of the day was awesome.

The air display was excellent. Im not a aircraft sort of person but it sure was a great experience. The aerobatics was excellent. The A380 is a massive air ship. I really loved the F16, F18's and what really was excellent was the B1B. Man this thing is quick, real quick and HEAPS loud. The fly by at almost 1000km/h was absolutely ground shaking. The thing has 4 F16 turbines on it. Real stunning. When the thing took off the thermal cloud behind it was awesome. It was cold wet and windy and this thing provided a little warmth as it passed.

The little little combat show they put on where 2 helecoptors dropped about 8 troops with fake guns onto the ground to infiltrate the baddies was cool. And the F18's simulating a bomb strike was real cool. The explosions going off shook the seats i was in. The explosions you could really feel in your chest.

I really loved the jelly belly plane. Kinda scared me at first cos i'd never seen this display before, but when it took off the one of the rudders on the wing fell off in the air! scared the outta me brought images of russian air shows! But there was nothing to worry bout it was all part of the show. He ended up flying like he was drunk and doing touch downs on the runway with one wheel n stuff. He also dropped a roll of toilet paper in the air and cut it in half with one wing. Was great to see.

The rocket man was there with his jet pack. Was cool to see him go for about 34 seconds.

I was really impressed at the maneuverability of the F18's man these things can turn without any problems.

The marque setup was cool too. Loved the Thermal camera display

What i found quite funny was the Jetstar passenger planes were landing every couple of hours or so. It was quite cool seeing them land and take off throughout the show. The runway was always made clear for jetstar.

I will be going the next time. Was very impressed!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #40
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went today, and very disappointing IMO. The worst airshow since it started (which was excellent mind you).

Firstly, due to the 40 knot wind, some of the displays were canclled, such as the parachute drop and light plane displays. Fair enough, as there's nothing you can do about the weather. But from there on in, it all fell apart. Within 30 minutes of entering, the $10 event program was useless, as all the events quickly fell hopelessly out of order. Might as well have wrapped it up and smoked it. So, you'd reckon that the guys doing the PA commentary duties would fill you in on the new schedule? Nup. No cigar. They prattled on with useless crap, hour after hour, but somehow without mentioning what was happening, and when. There were periods of over 30 minutes when not a single plane took to the sky, but you dared not take a trip to the gents because it was guaranteed that an FA-18 etc would take to the sky (unannounced) and you'd miss it whilst waiting in line for a leak.

So, no A-380 on Sunday. Then, the B1B was due late morning and never eventuated. No explanation. No mention as to why. Nothing. Was like the commentators thought that if they didn't mention it, nobody would notice. Sorry chaps, but people did notice. Obviously no Russians were there, but no F-15 either, and no Cobra helicopter gunships which were present in previous years. After waiting 45 minutes in a queue that stretched almost to Geelong for a half cold burger I missed most of the only decent event being the FA-18 Super Hornet.

As a "filler" they ran this stupid jet powered truck 3 times. Yep, count it.....3 fricken times. Sorry, but I thought I was at an airshow, not some poor imitation of Calder Park on a Saturday night.

The final insult? After being told that Avalon will be the F1-11's final major appearance before decommissioning, we were then told late in the day it wouldn't fly............because the runway was wet and there was a sidewind. WTF??? Memo to the ADF to make sure the enemy never attacks in poor weather. Apparently out best "all-weather" long range fighter bomber can only operate when its nice, fine, cloudless and balmy, no doubt preferably in a 22-26 degree temperature range with 50% humidity or less....... I say absolute BS. If something fell off or the boys couldn't be stuffed flying it, then say so. Shocking effort. Rubbish.

I've been to very Avalon airshow since its inception. I won't be back. Save your money and time and spend it on bourbon, smokes, hash, hookers or whatever takes yours fancy instead.

Rant over.

Brent.

Last edited by Brent; 15-03-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #41
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Went today, and very disappointing IMO. The worst airshow since it started (which was excellent mind you).

Firstly, due to the 40 knot wind, some of the displays were canclled, such as the parachute drop and light plane displays. Fair enough, as there's nothing you can do about the weather. But from there on in, it all fell apart. Within 30 minutes of entering, the $10 event program was useless, as all the events quickly fell hopelessly out of order. Might as well have wrapped it up and smoked it. So, you'd reckon that the guys doing the PA commentary duties would fill you in on the new schedule? Nup. No cigar. They prattled on with useless crap, hour after hour, but somehow without mentioning what was happening, and when. There were periods of over 30 minutes when not a single plane took to the sky, but you dared not take a trip to the gents because it was guaranteed that an FA-18 etc would take to the sky (unannounced) and you'd miss it whilst waiting in line for a leak.

So, no A-380 on Sunday. Then, the B1B was due late morning and never eventuated. No explanation. No mention as to why. Nothing. Was like the commentators thought that if they didn't mention it, nobody would notice. Sorry chaps, but people did notice. Obviously no Russians were there, but no F-15 either, and no Cobra helicopter gunships which were present in previous years. After waiting 45 minutes in a queue that stretched almost to Geelong for a half cold burger I missed most of the only decent event being the FA-18 Super Hornet.

As a "filler" they ran this stupid jet powered truck 3 times. Yep, count it.....3 fricken times. Sorry, but I thought I was at an airshow, not some poor imitation of Calder Park on a Saturday night.

The final insult? After being told that Avalon will be the F1-11's final major appearance before decommissioning, we were then told late in the day it wouldn't fly............because the runway was wet and there was a sidewind. WTF??? Memo to the ADF to make sure the enemy never attacks in poor weather. Apparently out best "all-weather" long range fighter bomber can only operate when its nice, fine, cloudless and balmy, no doubt preferably in a 22-26 degree temperature range with 50% humidity or less....... I say absolute BS. If something fell off or the boys couldn't be stuffed flying it, then say so. Shocking effort. Rubbish.

I've been to very Avalon airshow since its inception. I won't be back. Save your money and time and spend it on bourbon, smokes, hash, hookers or whatever takes yours fancy instead.

Rant over.

Brent.
i watched it from near by. Got there at about 12 and stayed until about 4:30.
Guess what we saw. FA-18 Super Hornet, a few helicopters, a couple of jetstar planes, and the "jet powered truck, you guessed it, 3 times. I know I shouldn't be complaining since I didn't pay but... I feel extremely sorry for all the people who did pay (Brent).

Cheers, Anthony

P.S Best thing we saw was a hare in the paddock we were parked next to!
Old 16-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #42
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:

Rant over.

Brent.
Woah I thought the saturday was cut down, but seems the sunday was worse. Cos this was my first I couldnt gauge it against any other air show so it seemed good to me.

One thing that irritated me was the american commentator when he was doing he's sell speel on one of the F18s I think. Seem too try hard and I wanted to throw my pie at him.

On saturday when the rain finished I reckon they did well to squeeze all that they could. Pity bout sunday though.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #43
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The irony was that I could have gone on Saturday, but decided that Sunday would (hopefully) be better weather and thus (hopefully) a better chance of the show runnings its full program. I lucked out on both counts it would seem.
Old 16-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #44
adrianb

I was there yesterday - only my 2nd time and took my partner's kids for their first time.

We saw the US F15, US FA/18 Super Hornet, 4 x RAF FA/18 Hornet doing formation flying, C-17, 747-400, Hercules and the simulated ground assault as well as the various aerobatic displays.

I do agree there were some gaps in the programme and that the schedule being messed up was a bit frustrating but all in all had an awesome day.
Old 16-03-2009, 12:38 PM   #45
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
here ya go :

Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #46
Nappa
Impressive...

i too was very dissapointed with the show yesterday. we arrived at 10, and left at 2pm, it was nothing like the airshows of the past, there was a lot missing. The worst part was when we were trying to leave at 2pm.
It took 35mins just to exit the carpark.
Old 16-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #47
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Magna!!!! [wipes tears from eyes] :(
Old 17-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #48
cycle myth

Yes - you would have to say this is a pretty poor spread for a major air show.

Could sort of tell by the poor - limited information on the site.

Would have to be a good list next time to bother considering.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #49
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I to thought it was a little disapointing, it was my 2nd experiance but I felt it was poor and not worth the amount to watch.
Old 17-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #50
B-1B
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wish I was there for the Bone.

Why are antagonist posts from members with high post counts so common now?
B-1B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post