Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Share your favourite tips...

Ok so I just bought a new tube of Sikaflex for $17 to do one small job. A weeks time it'll probably have gone off in the tube like all my other tubes of silastic etc.

I've tried putting glad wrap over the mouth and putting the nozzle back on but it still goes off, does anyone have any tips on how to prevent this?

If you have any other handy tips why not share.

Mine is if you're painting and have to down tools for a while and don't want to clean your brush or roller, wrap it in glad wrap and when you come back to it it's still good to use. I've found I can even come back to the roller the next day and she's still good to go.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If you want to leave your brush in your pot of paint for a few hours a wet rag over the top well stop it skining up and going hard, also putting a small amount of water on it will alow you to leave it a fair while, once you get back just mix the water in! If your using Enamel (oil based) Just put a small amount of thinners on top!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Ok so I just bought a new tube of Sikaflex for $17 to do one small job. A weeks time it'll probably have gone off in the tube like all my other tubes of silastic etc.

First thing, try using 'Bostick Gold Flex' it is practically the same product, just alot cheaper.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

My tip:

Follow ozbargain.com saves me a crap load of money. Just last week I got a hdmi cable for $8 delivered.

It is sort of a blog where people post really cheap things

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

dont swim in the morning

dont buy shares in gm

buy a houseboat in north queensland

brush teeth twice a day

dont put silly answers on forums

:
Old 02-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Be kind to your mum.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
dont buy shares in gm

I don't know about that, there's really only one way they can go!!!
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 AM   #8
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee

I've tried putting glad wrap over the mouth and putting the nozzle back on but it still goes off, does anyone have any tips on how to prevent this?

Mine is if you're painting and have to down tools for a while and don't want to clean your brush or roller, wrap it in glad wrap and when you come back to it it's still good to use. I've found I can even come back to the roller the next day and she's still good to go.

Get a couple of spare nozzles, when your done with using the gun, chuck it away and screw the new nozzle on that hasnt been cut. give it a coupla squirts so it fills a little bit up, easy as.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 03:30 AM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Silastic Cartreidges and the like just push a large long nail the thickness of the hole in the nozzle (so it is a tight fit) and about 2/3 its length into nozzle up to the head of the nail. You will need to use pliers to pull the nail out later when you want to use it again but it will do the trick it terms of stopping hardening in the nozzle and cartridge. You can also but plastic inserts at Bunnings for this particular purpose - just plastic tapered nails in effect).
Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
I don't know about that, there's really only one way they can go!!!
bankrupt?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Silastic Cartreidges and the like just push a large long nail the thickness of the hole in the nozzle (so it is a tight fit) and about 2/3 its length into nozzle up to the head of the nail. You will need to use pliers to pull the nail out later when you want to use it again but it will do the trick it terms of stopping hardening in the nozzle and cartridge. You can also but plastic inserts at Bunnings for this particular purpose - just plastic tapered nails in effect).
yep, depending on the size of the hole you created you may need to use a small bolt. never had any issues with cartridges drying out.

also regarding the paint rollers, i was told to put them in the fridge after covering them in a plastic bag. not sure why.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #12
Mental
Cam Luncheon

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
also regarding the paint rollers, i was told to put them in the fridge after covering them in a plastic bag. not sure why.
Thats what I did, painted the inside of our house over 2 weeks and never had to clean a brush or roller until we were done. Plastic Bag and Fridge winz.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
IDT
Marko

[QUOTE=jaydee]Ok so I just bought a new tube of Sikaflex for $17 to do one small job. A weeks time it'll probably have gone off in the tube like all my other tubes of silastic etc.

[QUOTE]

When you buy a tube take two of the screw on nozzles, replace the nozzle when about to re-use it. They are always free so grab a heap if you need to.