Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-02-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Default stupid water tank rules!!!

I am currently do renovations at home and this uses lots of water. so we get a 13000 ltr water tank so i can use the water for renos aswell as washing cars ect.
The tank has run out of water after some recent brickwork so we phone up a water cartage company to get the tank refilled. i thought this was the responsable thing to do !!
We were told that the water cartage company cannot deliver water to places that have town water connected as it is illegal !!
I was told that building works do not require tank water by law and to use the mains water saving the tank water for washing cars and watering.

I still cant believe that we are running out of good drinking water and i have to use it for renos because its illegal to fill my tanks!! who makes these rubbish laws

another water related issue lately was when we removed 2 20,000 ltr tanks because they were in the way of an extension, we phone the council & the CFA to say we had 40,000ltr of water we needed to get rid of. we were told that they couldnt take it and the council suggested we just release it to storm water. what a waste!

I dont know who makes these rubbish laws but im ready to give up on being a water saver and go back to a 10 minute shower !!

FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #2
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Agree with all of that but there's plenty of twisted laws/legislation. Frustrating when you've gotta deal with them.
Bit strange the water cartage company wouldn't deliver as this is how most people fill new pools (maybe different with pool application)
Old 25-02-2009, 04:06 AM   #3
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

that is just plain crazy. can totally understand your frustration
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

perhaps you should have used the 40,000 l for cleaning the bricks.

Also yo do realise the water the water cart guy brings is pumped form the mains dont you, as in drinking water any way. you will find the reason he cant (though I find it hard to beleve is "illegal") will be becasue you will be paying for the mains water at your adderss via your meter where as the water cart only charges cartage.

As for the CFA not wanting your water, I dont understand what your point is, where d oyou want them to put it? in there back pocket? all trucks are kept full after every incedent its not like they have 20,000 empty trucks running arround to store your water, also the logistics of traveling to your place to fill up in 4000l incaments is unfeasable not to mention the liability if they were to damage somthing on your porperty whilst collecting it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm that doesn't sound right I phoned up to get water to fill a pond and had no problems was also offer three types of water
1) Quarry water (cheap water that collects at a quarry)
2) Recycled water (can be used for gardening etc)
3) Spring water (Can be used for drinking etc - not mains water)

But the quotes I had were not for mains water both companies said that they were independent of Melbournes mains water supply and also didnt effect the catchment areas.

Try http://tgssandandsoil.com.au/Water%20Sales.htm or www.water-2go.com.au.

But they never said I couldnt get water. Maybe tell them you are planning on filling a pool.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
perhaps you should have used the 40,000 l for cleaning the bricks.

Also yo do realise the water the water cart guy brings is pumped form the mains dont you, as in drinking water any way. you will find the reason he cant (though I find it hard to beleve is "illegal") will be becasue you will be paying for the mains water at your adderss via your meter where as the water cart only charges cartage.

As for the CFA not wanting your water, I dont understand what your point is, where d oyou want them to put it? in there back pocket? all trucks are kept full after every incedent its not like they have 20,000 empty trucks running arround to store your water, also the logistics of traveling to your place to fill up in 4000l incaments is unfeasable not to mention the liability if they were to damage somthing on your porperty whilst collecting it
we had to remove them tanks to put in the extension.
the tanks could have been drained over a few weeks it wasnt urgent. funny thing was as i was driving home to see all my tank water running down the road the council was in the street watering the trees.
I realise the logistics of carting 40,000ltrs of water but in this day and age with strict water restrictions and constant tv & radio ads telling us to save water something could be done.

water can come from different sources, we were happy with ground water as we can filter it anyway
Old 25-02-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Matty4
Banana

I've also just finished reno's at my place. Put in a pool and garage with a 22000lt tank attached to the garage. I'm also on mains water and had the pool filled with spring water that was delivered by truck in 2 runs.

I rang a water cartage bloke last week about filling the tank as I can't see it getting full with all this rain we're having at the moment

He said no problem. He uses filtered dam water and could deliver anytime I wanted it. No mention was made of it being illegal due to me being on town water.
Old 25-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4
I've also just finished reno's at my place. Put in a pool and garage with a 22000lt tank attached to the garage. I'm also on mains water and had the pool filled with spring water that was delivered by truck in 2 runs.

I rang a water cartage bloke last week about filling the tank as I can't see it getting full with all this rain we're having at the moment

He said no problem. He uses filtered dam water and could deliver anytime I wanted it. No mention was made of it being illegal due to me being on town water.
who did you phone?
Old 26-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You realise that 40,000 litres is worth about $30?
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Quotes I got were for around $500 (from memory for 5,000 - 10,000 litres good quality water) The water cost would be reasonably small, the majoirty of the cost would be filling up, freight, time spent on your premises and then returning to the depot.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 12:24 PM   #11
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
I dont think its the cost factor, I could always put the hose into the tank to fill it and pay the water bill. Its a case of saving OUR drinking water.
Old 26-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

A side issue I was made aware of by an older workmate.
This guy told me when he built his house in the 80's he wanted a tank and was told it was illeagle due to the water tanks attracting mossies and causing Dengue Fever.
Has anyine noticed since water tanks are back in favor there have been a lot of cases of Dengue Fever? Strange how the media has not picked up on this fact.
Old 26-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
cool65
carefactor zero

I believe you can get it filled with bore water. there was a guy making a motza from filling toorak tanks with bore water for their lovely (money - spare no expense) green gardens. Don't know if bore water is a bit harsh on the duco though
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #14
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
This guy told me when he built his house in the 80's he wanted a tank and was told it was illeagle due to the water tanks attracting mossies and causing Dengue Fever.
Has anyine noticed since water tanks are back in favor there have been a lot of cases of Dengue Fever? Strange how the media has not picked up on this fact.
another side note. our place had 2 large tanks (40,000ltrs) as there was no town water supply up until 5 years ago. when the town water was put in the council made sure that tanks were disconnected from the house and the mains hooked up. apparently if there is mains water available it must be connected :
Old 26-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #15
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool65
I believe you can get it filled with bore water. there was a guy making a motza from filling toorak tanks with bore water for their lovely (money - spare no expense) green gardens. Don't know if bore water is a bit harsh on the duco though
bring on the rain this weekend!! hopefully i wont need to buy water anyway.
we have 40 squares under roof so tank doesnt take long to fill.
Old 27-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGAutosalvage
we had to remove them tanks to put in the extension.
the tanks could have been drained over a few weeks it wasnt urgent. funny thing was as i was driving home to see all my tank water running down the road the council was in the street watering the trees.
I realise the logistics of carting 40,000ltrs of water but in this day and age with strict water restrictions and constant tv & radio ads telling us to save water something could be done.

water can come from different sources, we were happy with ground water as we can filter it anyway
I cant speak for council and I sort of think perhaps had you spoken to a "switched on" person at council the tree watering would have been very different as they would have only shipped a stand pipe up the street to fill their truck.

but form the CFA point of view as a Crew leader with the RFS its a logistical night mare, I dont know how busy the brigade is in your area but we do 200+ calls a year, and many of them at odd hours.and I can only imagian how you would be if we came to fill up after an incedent at 3am. and yes we fill up at 3am you cant put the trucks away that arnt full they have to be ready to go all the time, and again the other issue is and I'm not saying you would be like this but alot of people get narky if we so much as happen to drop a wheel off the paved drive way or damage there drive way (these trucks weigh in exsess of 13 tonns) . I have personaly been bitched at at and had formal complaints made about me for our truck damaging a drive way when we were conducting property protection durin a running bush fire. And I assume the CFA is no different with bitching home owners

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
I'm sure given a decade or two, we will remember why tanks where out of favour. Mosquito born diseases can be very nasty.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #18
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

send me ya water and tanks Darren, on a farm we can have anything we want.....
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 12:18 AM   #19
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^
send me ya water and tanks Darren, on a farm we can have anything we want.....
should i put the postage on your credit card Mark??
Old 28-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #20
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

why not Darren, you must know the numbers off by heart by now...LOL
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #21
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Nowerdays with tanks being fitted with the leaf/branch collectors and sieve over the inlet of the tank, And proving the water is used regularly and not the same water sitting in the tanks for months; I don't think the mozzies are such a problem anymore.
Im still not for drinking the stuff ! , I just use it on my garden and to wash the car with it.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #22
jemma789
MadKow

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Dengue Fever is a a tropical disease with cases ( I could be wrong ) occuring in northern Australia. The cooler southern states don't get the Fever.

Vision without action is a daydream, Action without vision is a nightmare
jemma789 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #23
Trendseeker

There have been cases over the past few years of people contracting Ross River Fever, another mosquito borne disease, in Sydney. Anyway, there are plenty of places for them to breed other than water tanks.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #24
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
who did you phone?
http://www.bulkowatercartage.com.au/

Quote:
another side note. our place had 2 large tanks (40,000ltrs) as there was no town water supply up until 5 years ago. when the town water was put in the council made sure that tanks were disconnected from the house and the mains hooked up. apparently if there is mains water available it must be connected :
My plumber is setting up my water tank and pump so it can also be connected to the house via the mains, therefore not using mains at all, if the need ever arises. The tank at this stage is solely for the garden, car washing and topping up the pool.