Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #31
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

It would have to be broken up into categories imho (and im speaking from a motorsport background aswell so good fuel economy doesnt make a car good in my eyes - sod off corolla).
The mini wasnt so influential because it was fwd or had a transverse mounted engine - it was because it made people realise that cars didnt have to be big to be fast.

For a supercar... to me... it would have to go to the mclaren f1: It embaressed everyone in its time and it was a car built to never be superseded. You could have bought an f40 but it was doomed to be superseded by an f50, f60 (enzo) and so on. That shows your spending your money on a supercar that is not the best that the manufacturer can do. When they built that car they said "Hey we are going to make the best car we can possibly make"
I cant pick the mclaren f1 and gt40 apart though they are both in the same league.

911 gets the 'every day supercar' category by far though.

For all else.... theres the e30

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #32
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Mclaren F1
+1

Just as well you asked for greatest and not best, best at what?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #33
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Model T for making car ownership a reality for the masses.

VW Beetle for being a long lasting global vehicle (despite anti German sentiment post WWII) that was easy to drive and robust.

Toyota Corolla for adding more simplicity to the beetle ethos, two extra doors and furthering the cause of gloabl vehicles.

Porsche 911 - global sports car that can be driven everyday

RangeRover - created a new segment

Lew Bandt Ford Ute - new segment

Citreon Ds (1954??) - bringing aerodynamics, 4 wheel discs, revolutionary suspension and safety to the mass market.

Mercedes 300sl gullwing - the first 'supercar' (alot of the M-Benz W124 F1 GP car underneath!)

Ford GT40 - a car designed to race first and sell later. A le mans winning car you could buy and drive and get serviced with relative ease.

Bugatti Veyron - The ultimate expression of automobilia. Apart from cost, does it have any weaknesses? Ride, Handling, Braking, Performance, Comfort etc

Nissan GTR R35 - Cut Price Veyron. Supercar Performance on HSV w427 budget

HSV SV1800 - for bringing laughter to the world
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #34
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8
'69 Chevy, with a 396, fuellie heads & a Hurst on the floor.
(Probably showing my age & choice of music here......)
That sounds right but id have an auto and air conditioning
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 12:57 AM   #35
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehast13
HSV SV1800 - for bringing laughter to the world
Massive credit to you for that one, absolute pisa
Old 10-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #36
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

After just watching Jeremy Clarkson's Thriller I'm a bit biased right now so I gotta go with.....

THE BLACK

Any other day probably the Veryron, possibly (but hopefully not) the peak of motoring engineering.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #37
Steve
torque is your friend

The greatest car of all time for me was my old man's XA Falcon 500 sedan, green with a cream vinyl roof, 250 and column shift auto that he owned in the seventies. This car would take us everywhere, it's the car I learnt what wolf whistling was, it's the car that I'd fall asleep in the back seat on a long trip home, it's the car Dad took us to the drive-in with, it's the car we'd get so much sand in after a trip to the beach Dad would flip, it's the car that I'd know Dad was home by recognising it's distinct sound as he pulled into the driveway, it's the car that we brought my baby sister home from the hospital in for the first time, it's the car that we went got my first puppy with...

I'm a bit of a sentimental bastard.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:12 AM   #38
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

GT40 for previous reasons. Stuck it to Ferrari in le mans what more to say!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #39
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Nah, you're all wrong...it has to be the VEB Trabant 601

They were so good the East German Polizei used them as Pursuit Vehicles on the E28 Auto Bahn Between Berlin and Kluczewko to stop dissidents escaping over the Polish border with all the Sauerkraut and Hahndorf they could carry...

...or who could forget Herr Manfred Fricke in his EVO II blasting the opposition into the weeds during the 1974-1975 Bundestleaugen Autohausen Agricultural Society Tractor and Sports Vehicle Touring season producing 21Kw from the 602cc and reduced weight by using the Duroplast doors which were strengthened with a light weight cotton sourced from a now defunct secret laboratory ran by the GDR and a few ex-Stasi which tried to manufacture a lightweight replacement for the brown leather jackets they used to wear when conducting covert abductions in Moscow and the French Riviera.

:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trabant_Polizeiversion.jpg (59.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Trabant_RS02%28ThKraft%29.jpg (63.0 KB, 50 views)

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #40
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

But on a serious note...being a Ford nut all my life, I would have to say the Ford Mustang...up to about 1969...not exactly an engineering masterpiece or practical but definitely trustworthy, reliable, Shelby versions were missiles, cheap and mass produced, anyone could identify one and they were cool...

But, at the moment, the most prolific car and possibly the future of automotive engineering would have to be the Honda FCX Hydrogen Fuel Cell Concept Car.

Never been a Honda fan at all (and being a mechanic / engineer) but you cannot ignore the technology this thing encompasses...exciting and scary at the same time...

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #41
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Always been the GT40 for me aswell ..... never driven or even sat in one but ...... one day It is the most 'Perfect' looking car amazing to think it's from the '60's

Like all lists they are fairley pointless but a good discussion point. The lbiggest problem with that list is that the title should be "The most Influential cars of the the 20th century ..... no way near the best!
+1 for me too.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #42
Saiken
Cobra Motorsports

I want to throw a vote to the Mazda 787B.

For taking the ****el rotary to the world and thus getting it banned from racing.
Competed in the 1991 Le Mans race, and won, being the first non-american, non-european car to win.

As a result of this upset, it was deemed that ****el Rotarys would no longer be allowed in the competition due to an unfair advantage.

The 2.6ltr Quad Rotor "R26B" ****el produced 520 kW @ 9000 rpm and 607 N·m @ 6500 rpm in race format, however the engine was good for 700kw and 10,500 rpm. However due to the conservative nature of the Japanese they thought it would be to risky to put this engine format in a 24 hour endurance race (reliability to unknown).

FOR SALE1996 EF Series 2 Fairmont Ghia | Ported and Polished Head with Bigger Valves and Springs, Wade 1636, AU Head Gasket, 3.45 LSD, Shift Kitted Auto, RDA Slotted Rotors, QFM Performance Pads,Hornet Scooped Bonnet :evil3: , Custom CAI

Cobra Motorsports
Saiken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #43
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ferrari 250 GTO.
Worth a small country.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #44
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiken

For taking the ****el rotary to the world and thus getting it banned from racing.
Competed in the 1991 Le Mans race, and won, being the first non-american, non-european car to win.

As a result of this upset, it was deemed that ****el Rotarys would no longer be allowed in the competition due to an unfair advantage.

The 2.6ltr Quad Rotor "R26B" ****el produced 520 kW @ 9000 rpm and 607 N·m @ 6500 rpm in race format, however the engine was good for 700kw and 10,500 rpm. However due to the conservative nature of the Japanese they thought it would be to risky to put this engine format in a 24 hour endurance race (reliability to unknown).

good pick, apparently the sound of them was amazing!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #45
Saiken
Cobra Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
good pick, apparently the sound of them was amazing!
Here is a video on the tube

I absolutely love it.. but Rotaries aren't everyone's cup of tea.

There is also the scoot RX-7 which is a beauti to.... kind of a... lets try make the 787B into a road car (by a tune shop).

Can be seen here

This runs a custom built Quad rotor and produces slightly less power... but still nice.
FOR SALE1996 EF Series 2 Fairmont Ghia | Ported and Polished Head with Bigger Valves and Springs, Wade 1636, AU Head Gasket, 3.45 LSD, Shift Kitted Auto, RDA Slotted Rotors, QFM Performance Pads,Hornet Scooped Bonnet :evil3: , Custom CAI

Cobra Motorsports
Saiken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 02:24 PM   #46
Steve
torque is your friend

My vote would be the Beetle for being a car that has been taken to the world and can be recognised by almost anyone on earth.
For the exotics I'd say the Miura for it's sheer beauty.
The Mustang for kicking off the muscle car era.
The XR GT for bringing the muscle car to Australia.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #47
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

T model ford, VW Beetle or Morris Mini.

all affordable motoring for the masses
Old 10-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #48
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Lotus 7/Caterham & Clubmans in general - for prooving that you don't need massive amounts of power to be quick. Give me light weight & sensible design anyday. The latest versions have evolved way past their original designs but some are now back to Cosworth-improved Ford power.

Look up Jay Leto's opinion piece on the Octane website to see what a smart well thought out design the Model T was/is. He still drives it and it still has some good ideas in it.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #49
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ssanyong Stavic for being so brave to enter the world and still exist looking like a deformed rice bubble .
Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 PM   #50
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ford GT40 for me too BUT I cannot shake my love for a 1957 FORD thunderbird pic :

http://www.ritzsite.net/DKW1000SP/19...hunderbird.JPG

so pretty I love that car, pity they want a liver a kidney and a set of reproductive organs for one.....

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #51
351capri
windsorman

Henrys model T, brought motoring to the masses, started The Ford Motor Company on a world wide domination. there arent many places in the world where you cant find a ford product in some shape or form..
Old 11-01-2009, 05:14 AM   #52
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

No1 is the BF Futura...

McLaren F1 close second, because it only takes two passengers. If had room for one more I would have picked it ahead of the Futura. True story.

The only car I know of that was so far ahead of it's competition it took ten years before it was trumped. It almost looks as good as the Futura too.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 05:21 AM   #53
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiken

That's a good car too, I won alot of races in that. Very fast car.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #54
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
No1 is the BF Futura...

McLaren F1 close second, because it only takes two passengers. If had room for one more I would have picked it ahead of the Futura. True story.

The only car I know of that was so far ahead of it's competition it took ten years before it was trumped. It almost looks as good as the Futura too.
Good luck with your fishing, I can see at least 3 obvious baits there.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post