Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #91
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
SUMTER, S.C. – An ex-convict who thought he was being robbed gunned down a 12-year-old trick-or-treater, spraying nearly 30 rounds with an assault rifle from inside his home after hearing a knock on the door, police said Saturday.
He emptied a clip because someone knocked on his door..??

I'm not advocating guns in the house shoot whoever cometh, but maybe a warning shot might have worked?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:41 AM   #92
Rob
Living the dream

LOL - I know its a sad story, but I had to laugh at this

Quote:
Police said they also charged a 19-year-old in his home, Ericka Patrice Pee, with obstruction of justice when she was caught trying to run away after the shooting with $7,500 in cash. Patterson did not give an explanation for the money.

Pee's 2-year-old daughter was inside during the shooting and is now being cared for by family members.
Guy shoots door, slapper wife nicks his money and does a runner

Juvenile humour is great
Old 03-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #93
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't see the point. Why is this celebrated in Australia? Do any of the kids or their complicit parents know why they are doing what they are doing?

No. Just a good reason to go and scam free stuff, or engage in petty criminal vandalism. Tell me, why SHOULD I support this?

If anyone had of come around to my joint I would have politely suggested that they "try North America - its about 16000 k's north east of here".

Any other time I am more than happy to chat with neighbours, or kick a ball around with their kids or chat with them about what they did at school that day. This is just pure Americana crap that has no basis, meaning, or place here. Its much like people always driving in the right lane when the road is clear - Just because we see it on TV, doesn't mean that we need to follow like mindless zombies. We have our own pasttimes and traditions (and rules to keep left!!!).
Old 03-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #94
gozza

I think people should be able to celebrate what ever they like. If you don't get involved with Halloween, it is indeed annoying having children knocking at your door.
I guess having some universal symbol, like possibly a pumkin on your doorstep to show you are involved could be good.
What ****es me off is narrow minded points of view. Oh its an America tradition. We can't have that. Oh we are all wearing backward hats and rapping now. Get over yourselves
Old 03-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #95
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
Wow - nice way to be a patronising know it all.

I commend you on instilling knowledge onto our misguided youths
Play the the game or don't.
Oh dear, patronising eh. :

Well sunshine for your information I probably know a fair bit about halloween (the origin, meaning etc) more than quite a few here. I have my reasons for knowing and I can tell you that the art of going around expecting 'treats' then attacking someone's property because
a) the person had no treats due to not realising it was - 'give free lollies day'
or
b) the person is simply not interested
does not have anything to do with the tradition. Well most certainly not the tradition that it means for my reasons of celebrating it!

If you wish to celebrate Halloween in the 'new tradition' so be it, but I chose to celebrate it in the tradition it was meant, for me it is Samhain one of the greater Sabbats.

I choose not to 'play the game'. By the way since you seem to like to judge nicely, I thought I would let you know that these kids were in fact of age to have understanding of what something is about, I guessed they were around 10 to 12, not little ones!!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #96
gozza

[QUOTE=fiery]

Ok - I am not undermining what you know about Halloween. From what i know about Samhain i understand and myself believe in spirits. Also there is many similar countries celebrating Samhain in different ways.

My point was Halloween is about trick or treating. I do not partake in Halloween . Your comments saying you would quiz the children, i found patronising, in the way that they don't actually care. Its like dangling a carrot in front of a Donkey. Play the game or don't, meaning you have your beliefs. Either ask them nicely to leave or give them a treat. Don't try and school them on your beliefs about Wiccan festivities
Old 03-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #97
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Yeha I just sat out the front by my car eating a big bowl of m&m's watching all the dressed up freaks go by in my underwear! ...

Okay, I wish I had the ball's *litrally* to do that..

I went round to my GF's place and helped her n her daughter get on their little costumes and whilst they went trick or treating, I slept on her couch, watched her TV and drank her Canadian Club .... aaaah Got to love holidays
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 03-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #98
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=gozza]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery

Your comments saying you would quiz the children, i found patronising, in the way that they don't actually care. Its like dangling a carrot in front of a Donkey. Play the game or don't, meaning you have your beliefs. Either ask them nicely to leave or give them a treat. Don't try and school them on your beliefs about Wiccan festivities
First off I would never and have never passed (or tried to school) my beliefs on to anybody, least of all children. Not even my own.

My point was to these brats basically I never refused them treats therefore I shouldn't have my car or house vandalised.
Which is what these little cretins in this area quite enjoy doing.

Just a quick point also is maybe my theory might have been right too, as my car and house had nothing done to them at all, yet my neighbour a few doors down had his car egged. He now has a bit of damage to deal with.

Oh and there was a bunch of little ones that knocked on the door around 9pm - no adults in sight mind you - that I did give chocolates to.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #99
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

call me irresponsible, but the last thing i'd let my kids do is go door knocking at night, and the 2nd last thing i'd do is go with them!!!

This is one very crappy tradition america can keep *grr*

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #100
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was at work this time luckily, but I swear next year if they come by my place I'll scare the living poo out of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by Daymoe; 03-11-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:39 PM   #101
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
First off I would never and have never passed (or tried to school) my beliefs on to anybody, least of all children. Not even my own.

My point was to these brats basically I never refused them treats therefore I shouldn't have my car or house vandalised.
Which is what these little cretins in this area quite enjoy doing.

Just a quick point also is maybe my theory might have been right too, as my car and house had nothing done to them at all, yet my neighbour a few doors down had his car egged. He now has a bit of damage to deal with.

Oh and there was a bunch of little ones that knocked on the door around 9pm - no adults in sight mind you - that I did give chocolates to.
Yeah well i guess there is a fine line for everything. I like to think people can choose to celebrate and/or believe in whatever they like. But with that comes freedom and responsibility. Hence bad seeds doing things like egging cars. This little debate/discussion of ours could turn into somthing more than intended. I see your motives no doubt in regards to my initial post
Old 03-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #102
irlewy86
Meep Meep

You'd think after 3 years of being hit I'd learn to put some lollies in the house. At least the kids got twisites this year, last year the closest thing to sweets I could give them was sultanas.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #103
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah well i guess there is a fine line for everything. I like to think people can choose to celebrate and/or believe in whatever they like. But with that comes freedom and responsibility. Hence bad seeds doing things like egging cars. This little debate/discussion of ours could turn into somthing more than intended. I see your motives no doubt in regards to my initial post
I have typed out a few different replies and deleted them, figured sometimes it is easier to not bother with explaining things. People can and will think whatever they like.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #104
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the freakin big deal? And it's Irish... If it started in Australia and worked it's way over to America, and people didn't give credit to the Aussie's they would go nuts! LOL
Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #105
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Can't see the point. Why is this celebrated in Australia? Do any of the kids or their complicit parents know why they are doing what they are doing?

No. Just a good reason to go and scam free stuff, or engage in petty criminal vandalism. Tell me, why SHOULD I support this?

If anyone had of come around to my joint I would have politely suggested that they "try North America - its about 16000 k's north east of here".
Lucky you didn't say that to my young blokes, there responce would of been go F@#& yourself and most likely kicked you in your bag of boiled lollies, not that i would condon this, but a polite sorry i dont have anything would surfice, and it's Americain thing so are the cars we love to adore (they certainly didn't originate in Aust) everything must come and start from somewhere
Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #106
Hillbilly F Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
What's the freakin big deal? And it's Irish... If it started in Australia and worked it's way over to America, and people didn't give credit to the Aussie's they would go nuts! LOL
It's not that big a deal really, i suppose we're just proud of being Australian and proud of OUR traditions which seem to be getting eroded. No offence to America.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #107
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Geez, I don't know how many times it has to be said that it's not a tradition America started.

America also celebrate Christmas, a tradition they also didn't start. Based on this thread, obviously we shouldn't either!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:29 PM   #108
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
I think people should be able to celebrate what ever they like. If you don't get involved with Halloween, it is indeed annoying having children knocking at your door.
I guess having some universal symbol, like possibly a pumkin on your doorstep to show you are involved could be good.
What ****es me off is narrow minded points of view. Oh its an America tradition. We can't have that. Oh we are all wearing backward hats and rapping now. Get over yourselves
if people are going to celebrate something isn't it normal practice to actually have a clue about what you are celebrating?
we were lucky this year. we got prior warning that some of your trick or treat mates were going to vandalize houses up our street and a few of us were ready for them.
neighbors 1 , knobs 0.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #109
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
Lucky you didn't say that to my young blokes, there responce would of been go F@#& yourself and most likely kicked you in your bag of boiled lollies, not that i would condon this, but a polite sorry i dont have anything would surfice, and it's Americain thing so are the cars we love to adore (they certainly didn't originate in Aust) everything must come and start from somewhere
so are you saying 'your young blokes' go around abusing people and assaulting them because they are not interested in being a part of this crap?
you must be so proud.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #110
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I was just peed because the Mrs's gave all my Sour snakes out and left the musk sticks! Surely the musk sticks would be the first to go!!!!! DAMN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamin63
if people are going to celebrate something isn't it normal practice to actually have a clue about what you are celebrating?
NO?

I can think of heaps of stuff that is celebrated here that most wouldnt know why? Most things have been inherited from elsewhere including christmas, Easter? Those that aren't religious should they celebrate it? What the hell is St Patricks day, everyone dressing green and drinking green beer to celebrate something irish? How many know why we have Australia Day? At least Boxing day is a day to celebrate cricket at the MCG Queesn birthday isnt even celebrated on her proper birthday and how relevant is this to most people? Labor day weekend???

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-11-2008, 07:55 PM   #111
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
What lovely children they must be, surely they will become wonderful young adults with such mature guidance. :
Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #112
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Im still walking around the streets with my Mankini and makeup on........

and I thought I was the tossa till I read the recent replies, obviously not!
Closed Thread