Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #31
dusty86

I know I will probbaly get caned for this etc... If ford picked up their game there wouldn't be a problem, and I'm not necessarily talking about the cars but the dealers etc too are what's really letting things down, I work at a mazda dealer and my dad owns a BF XR6, the sort of service in comparison to what we offer at mazda is absolutely ridiculous. and I'm sure some people will agree.

P.S this is not a can, If i didn't like fords in some way I wouldn't own one. (even if it is just a daily/tow car)

Last edited by dusty86; 17-10-2008 at 09:12 AM.
dusty86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 09:25 AM   #32
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's the current stinger... over the past 3 years we've gradually wound up a large part of our local automotive industry and associated manufacturing suppliers on the back of the continual rise of the Australian dollar, to the point where it was nearly 1:1 with the US dollar.
As its risen the amount of imports and imported components has followed, decades of manufacturing infrastructure has been dissolved, dismantled sold off... now the aussie dollar is back under 70c US.... where will that leave us??

Old 17-10-2008, 12:11 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosta32
The hilarious thing is that there is more danger of Toyota shutting. hahaha

They're plant runs seven days 24 hours and they still can't keep up. The news that I get from there is that one day Toyota will shut down Altona because the plant just isn't big enough and cannot be made bigger. Ironic that they are the victims of their own success.
My mate who works for Toyota recons they are losing $2000 on every Camry they export due to the higher aussie dollar. This may have eased a bit lately but even now they may only be breaking even, and exports make up well more than half what they produce.

And since Toyota make the Camry in 7 plants globaly its not hard for them to shut down Altona and just import them from elsewhere.

Just heard on the news that Holden will be cutting production now too.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #34
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And don't forget the Japanese are ruthless businessmen with no human empathy. These guys shut factories for fun on their lunch breaks.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 02:19 PM   #35
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
The government can in a way control this situation and save a heap of local jobs by controlling how much tax and tariffs there are on local vs imported cars. Perhaps if they made imported cars more expensive the local plants, plus the 1000's of employees that work for suppliers, could keep working.

Buyers of imported cars won't be happy but all we seem to be doing by allowing such cheap cars here is supporting another country's economy instead of our own. media doesn't help either, local cars here get a reeming because they flog them for being heavier and thirster
The catch with this thinking is I wouldn't trust Ford management or their customer relationship people to organise my shopping, let alone sell me a competitive, well engineered and high quality vehicle.

Don't get me wrong the Terri and Falcon are light years ahead of what went before them, but I just couldnt justify propping up an American company that is poorly managed and takes our money from taxes when things are bad, and sends our money back to the US when things are good. They have never made the proper committment and investment in Australia and the fact the Falcon has no serious export markets is proof enough of that.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #36
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone else noticed that Ford have gone very, very quiet about the Focus? When the engine plant was announced to be closing, the PR girl fell over herself to mention how the Focus was going to be made here in 2010 etc It was in just about every story published about the closure.

Yesterdays annoucements said nothing about it at all. Not a word, or a mention of any kind. Just pointed to the fact more reviews are underway and possibly more job cuts. The silence from the media is also interesting on this one too. You would expect they would ask if this news has any bearing on the future of Focus production in Australia. Again silence.

Can't help thinking a decision has been made to have the new Focus with a "Made in South Africa" sticker on it. The media were heavily critised for the 380 fracus, so maybe they are leaving some room on this, before they chase it.
Old 17-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #37
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
The catch with this thinking is I wouldn't trust Ford management or their customer relationship people to organise my shopping, let alone sell me a competitive, well engineered and high quality vehicle.

Don't get me wrong the Terri and Falcon are light years ahead of what went before them, but I just couldnt justify propping up an American company that is poorly managed and takes our money from taxes when things are bad, and sends our money back to the US when things are good. They have never made the proper commitment and investment in Australia and the fact the Falcon has no serious export markets is proof enough of that.
Very good, honest reply but I would love the chance to defend Ford Oz.

Ford Oz do send the profits overseas but they pay a multitude of taxes just like any other major Australian business. Payroll tax, Tax on earnings, 1000's of employees paying Income tax. Imagine what that amounts to over 80 years?????

Ford has been in Oz for near or over 80 years now and has invested millions upon millions in infrastructure and employee training. How many apprentices have been through the two major plants? The mind boggles. Marin Brunela used to be a Geelong employee, he is now president of the whole operation! Ford have given so much to Australia.

As to your last point, It is a very sore point that Ford HQ absolutely adore the Falcon and Territory but the chances of us exporting there, ZERO!!!! Their union is so strong and will not allow a car that greatly competes with their own product to enter the country. And so they shouldn't. Our cars make theirs look like the garbage they are. Reports came through that the first time Alan Mulally traveled in a G6E Turbo he nearly fell over at the fact that a little island in the Pacific could produce such a fast, well engineered car. That's what the shop floor employees were told anyway.

As for other export markets, It now seems that Tom Gorman was a major catalyst for undoing Geoff Polities hard work. Diesel territory, don't need it. Left hand drive Orion, pfft, who needs that. The guy was a schmuck. I apologize for him. But you let an accountant run a factory and it inevitably happens.
Old 17-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #38
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed that Ford have gone very, very quiet about the Focus? When the engine plant was announced to be closing, the PR girl fell over herself to mention how the Focus was going to be made here in 2010 etc It was in just about every story published about the closure.

Yesterdays annoucements said nothing about it at all. Not a word, or a mention of any kind. Just pointed to the fact more reviews are underway and possibly more job cuts. The silence from the media is also interesting on this one too. You would expect they would ask if this news has any bearing on the future of Focus production in Australia. Again silence.

Can't help thinking a decision has been made to have the new Focus with a "Made in South Africa" sticker on it. The media were heavily critised for the 380 fracus, so maybe they are leaving some room on this, before they chase it.
I think you will find that in order to guarantee the Focus contract, Ford need to trim the fat from their operations to remain profitable. South Africa won't get the new contract because their plant is too old and decrepid. Too much money needs to be spent. I think somewhere like Thailand would be our major competitor for the contract.
Old 17-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #39
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:

I'm not sure if my memory is failing me but I'm sure I heard Burela speak about the Focus plan yesterday.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #40
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPO83
I'm not sure if my memory is failing me but I'm sure I heard Burela speak about the Focus plan yesterday.
Well that is good news if he did.
Old 18-10-2008, 04:19 AM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check out this link... http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...ction=business
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 08:45 AM   #42
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
. wealthy people can still buy BMW'S.
Look at the figures , the cost of a top end falcadore equals a beemer or merc.. the std Eurocar is more highly kitted ( I have several older examples)I figure what is needed is a diesel falcon/other models and a decent lpg system factory .

Last edited by atec77; 18-10-2008 at 08:53 AM.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #43
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
A leading motoring commentator hey...
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #44
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
How did you come to that conclusion? My understanding (to date as it hasnt been fully finalised) is that the main pollutant in Oz is Energy (power etc) therefore we can see things like power to increase in cost which will increase our manufacturing costs but have no effect on overseas manufacturing.

It not just the labor cost that make it difficult to compete - compare all the costs imposed by governments around the world (environment, compliance with all applicable laws, all taxes etc)

Yes the automotive industry in oz needs to change to take on board changing trends - however new cars are not developed overnight and the large car segment has performed well for the last few decades - there has only recently been a shift to smaller cars
Haven't seen the details of the CTS so I couldn't tell you how it is being implemented. However it will consume more energy to produce a car overseas than locally therefore the carbon tax should be higher on an imported product than a local one. Therefore, while FoA will be handing out $$$ for the scheme the higher cost of the imported product should make it more competetive and therefore making the system work.
Old 18-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #45
fordboi

The job cuts should start in the marketing department !!
fordboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 04:59 PM   #46
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Questions
1) Why isn't the money the Government threw around for the Hybrid Camry being used to introduce a LI gas Falcon/Commodore?
Old 18-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #47
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
The other option is we all work for a bowl of rice so as to maintain competition with Asian workforces. And do away with all OH&S laws. There is a reason they can make a brand new car less than 10K.
not quite right . a bowl of rice , education for the kids , a house to live in . isnt that what we the australians work out entire life to accomplish. ??
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #48
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Read today the Ford factory is also going to shut down for 16 days from Dec 19th.

Personally I think Marin has made the right decision with regard to the redundancies, the workforce does need to be trimmed to suit production otherwise Ford Aust will go spiralling down with the high overheads. As opposed to premier Brumby who said that Ford should have kept them on as long as possible. I just hope the VRP is well managed and the right workers leave, sometimes 'deadwood' seem to stay.

I think its such a shame that Ford is in this position, the public dont realise that there is a good product out there that is cheaper to maintain than the European and Japanese cars that are somewhat more costly to service and repair when something goes wrong. And that my BA Ghia fuel cost is comparable but just as comfortable if not more and I would expect the FG even more so, to any of those cars, even the smaller ones.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 18-10-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #49
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Read today the Ford factory is also going to shut down for 16 days from Dec 19th.
That makes no sense, christmas shutdown is always at least 21 days, and i'm expecting it to be at least 30 days like it was last year.

What I think they were trying to say is that there will be 16 down days between now and christmas shutdown.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post