Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
paul7v7
bring it on

Default britan to test GPS speed detector

i don't like this idea at all. what's next?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...678707,00.html

Old 04-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

What a waste of a trial, who on earth would believe for a second that a Skoda could break any posted speed limit outside of a carpark (downhill with a tail wind, of course)?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 11:33 PM   #3
DivaChick

Why do all these "experts" think that slowing down is the only way to avoid a potential accident?

Expert:- "X" =unknown quantity
"Spurt" = drip under pressure.

I rest my case..............
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 PM   #4
MrQuan
Social Disaster

F**k that!! I like to drive my own car thanks, and I prefer my whereabouts not to be spied on.

Anyone read the book 1984 by George Orwell? Not much longer...

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 11:46 PM   #5
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

theres no way the motoring corporations would allow this. if new cars have these things noone will buy them and their businesses would be in danger.

they already tried a similar thing like this in australia but it died in ***
Old 04-07-2005, 11:55 PM   #6
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaChick
Why do all these "experts" think that slowing down is the only way to avoid a potential accident?
Yeah I agree, would be real handy when attempting to avoiding an accident with the limiters on.. NOT!!

Oh and.. DivaChick.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 01:17 AM   #7
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate of mine works for the RTA and he reckons in the future they will come up with a way to put a microchip in your rego label so when you speed or park in the wrong spot they can just send you the ticket in the mail!!!
Terrifying thought, big brother gone mad.....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 03:56 AM   #8
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

and then when you write bak and say "i didnt do it", they just scratch there heads.
Full comp insurance :nutsycuck
au-steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 08:55 AM   #9
MrQuan
Social Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by redebxr8
A mate of mine works for the RTA and he reckons in the future they will come up with a way to put a microchip in your rego label so when you speed or park in the wrong spot they can just send you the ticket in the mail!!!
Terrifying thought, big brother gone mad.....
How could they prove who was driving the vehicle though? Same with this new technology... I guess it will be a fine without a loss of demerits??

But what about lending a car to your mate, or sharing one in the family?

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #10
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a load of crap - I dont think the Aussie public would ever stand for this but I suppose everyone said that about when they were going to introduce fixed speed camera's everywhere too.

Maybe they can just install the GPS things on P Plates : (j/k)
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 12:20 PM   #11
Steffo
LPG > You

If that ever gets implemented.. I'd never own a new car ever. But there's about 0.01% chance of that ever happening.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
neb
hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuan
How could they prove who was driving the vehicle though? Same with this new technology... I guess it will be a fine without a loss of demerits??

But what about lending a car to your mate, or sharing one in the family?
they might have to start putting microchips in people as well so they know who is driving the car.. !
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 12:26 PM   #13
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

LOL what a crock of sh!t, oh well i know a few mechanics that would have a good time takin them out and attaching them to push bikes :thebirds:

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #14
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
LOL what a crock of sh!t, oh well i know a few mechanics that would have a good time takin them out and attaching them to push bikes :thebirds:
Ha ha!

Bear in mind that for every technology created to upkeep the law, there are several made to combat it!.........radar detectors for example.( don't know if they are legal over here as haven't seen many)

its all a bit Mega City 1 though isn't it :lookedat:

Presumably the easiest way they could do this would be a data-tagging system.
Having grown up in the UK, they drive a damn site faster on the freeways there-however, most of the speeding crimes that they are interested in stopping are those based in built-up areas and I agree.

Maybe Ishould post this in the things I hate thread. A car doing 100mph on a freeway is relatively safe as everything is flowing in the same direction but i really get f#$king angry when some who thinks he can drive, goes around the streets at 70k's with on-coming traffic, pedestrians etc....God forbid a child runs out-but they dont think like that :

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #15
!Gn|T|0n
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I couldn’t disagree with this proposal more. There are countless situations in my driving history where the safest course of action was to accelerate. I think that they’ll have to work hard to find figures that demonstrate a decrease in incidents using a system like this. You can’t expect to control every aspect of a situation with the use of only two parameters – accelerator and brake. Does the system take into account any application of the steering system? As one simple example, consider the case where you’re cornering with no brakes in the wet and managing to maintain traction when BigBastard decides that you need some brakes applied. There goes your front end traction. Just an illustration of the lunacy of such a proposal. What about motor bikes? Are they immune to the proposal? If not then words fail me when trying to voice my horror at the specifics of that one!

Still saluting the Ford flag.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #16
NIGHTHAWK
starter motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
What a waste of a trial, who on earth would believe for a second that a Skoda could break any posted speed limit outside of a carpark (downhill with a tail wind, of course)?
Obviously you did not see the ACA program where a young mother was cloched by a policeman @ 148klms an hour, she was in adatsun 120y. ACA got a racing driver to try his best to get it to that speed and couldnt.
I dont know if she got off or not but "believe it or not".
NIGHTHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #17
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
What a load of crap - I dont think the Aussie public would ever stand for this but I suppose everyone said that about when they were going to introduce fixed speed camera's everywhere too.
Are you kidding? The majority Aussie public is the biggest bunch of pushovers ever. They'll believe anything ACA throws at them.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:42 AM   #18
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Especially a nation that buys over 5200 Corollas in one month. What is the world coming to?