Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-07-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

Default subaru origin

where did subaru completely originate from? i reckon its jap land, but dad says europe? i know the rice box wrx must be from japan?????

sum one plz solve mi mystery

16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 12:29 AM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Its Japanese.. Fuji heavy industries if I remember correct.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 12:42 AM   #3
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Its Japanese.. Fuji heavy industries if I remember correct.
That's correct. They used to make aircraft during the 30 and 40s.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Jamie XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 12:46 AM   #4
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

i remember mitsubishi also made the bombers that bombed darwin or pearl harbour? cant remember but thats funny i reckon
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 12:54 AM   #5
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri gt
i remember mitsubishi also made the bombers that bombed darwin or pearl harbour? cant remember but thats funny i reckon
Mitsubishi made the Zero fighter and many other aircraft that was involved in the raids on Darwin and Pearl Harbour. So was Subaru (or Fuji Heavy Industries).

Having said that, BMW made the DB605 engine in the ME109 and several other aircraft that bombed and fought against our troops in WWII.

All a long time ago now.
03 BA XR6T, Black, T5, Unichip tuned by Autotech Engineering (235.5 rwkW), BPT short shifter, Custom Leather, 18" rims, PBR sports calipers, Lowered, Tint, duel CAI & BMC filter, AWC bits, custom stripes.

My Website
Old 02-07-2005, 01:36 AM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

In fact the BMW logo of the circle made up of 2 white quarters and 2 blue quarters is actually the representation of a propeller... more useless facts for you! BMW is actually "Bavarian Motor Works". They started as an aircraft engine company.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 02:06 AM   #7
XRated
Shoot.

That's interesting about the blue and white quarters! Thanks!!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 02:37 AM   #8
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and the fact that German car makers used slave labour during WWII (including Ford and Opel), so if you see any Jew driving one, suppose theres a touch of irony there.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 03:29 AM   #9
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where did Subaru get the boxer design from?

Some ppl say they copied the Alfasud engine, some say VW.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 08:19 AM   #10
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The engine would have to be licenced from VW. Just like the Mazda Rotary was licensed too.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 08:49 AM   #11
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Subaru's new corporate face is designed to incorporate their aircraft heritage. The front grill (fuselage) flanked by two longer grills (wings).

Casper is quite correct with the BMW badge. That design goes back to their aircraft engine manufacture during WW I.

My Website
Old 02-07-2005, 10:28 AM   #12
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Where did Subaru get the boxer design from?

Some ppl say they copied the Alfasud engine, some say VW.
Common in the aviation industry, it's much better balanced and ideal for planes. Subaru made planes up until after WW2 when there was no need as Japan had no air force. They had all the tooling for the engines, they have just kept them going in cars.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 10:45 AM   #13
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
sum one plz solve mi mystery
I see you speak fluent Japanese :Up_to_som
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 11:12 AM   #14
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Quote:
better built, better backed...
Old 02-07-2005, 10:26 PM   #15
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Mitsibishi - better built, better backed ????

Is that why the Australian govt had to bail them out?
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2005, 10:35 PM   #16
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief

Which time are you referring to? :

My Website
Old 03-07-2005, 07:08 AM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Mercedes also made engines for war time aircraft as did Rolls Royce. They used to do battle in the air and now they do on the ground. Just don't put a Mercedes or Beemer together with your Roller in the same garage, dumkopf!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #18
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
In fact the BMW logo of the circle made up of 2 white quarters and 2 blue quarters is actually the representation of a propeller... more useless facts for you! BMW is actually "Bavarian Motor Works". They started as an aircraft engine company.
I remember seeing someone say that in an American movie, can't remember what it was called, it was about books I think so I probably didnt watch the rest.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #19
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
.......... but dad says europe? i know the rice box wrx must be from japan????? .................
I am sure the Marketing & Advertising gurus from Subaru will be very happy to see this, a Euro image is something they have been pushing very hard.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #20
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

A lot of talk about the relationship between the prop symbolism on the BMW badge - but no mention of the SOUTHERN CROSS appearing on the Subaru badge.....(/me waits to see if anyone here points out the significance)
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 08:11 PM   #21
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
A lot of talk about the relationship between the prop symbolism on the BMW badge - but no mention of the SOUTHERN CROSS appearing on the Subaru badge.....(/me waits to see if anyone here points out the significance)
"Unlike some other motor companies, such as Ford (founded by Henry) or Suzuki (founded by Michio), Subaru is not named after its founder. "Subaru" is the Japanese word for "Seven Sisters", a common name for the most prominent stars in Pleiades, an open cluster of about 500 young stars (only about 100 million years old), barely visible in our northern sky. At least six of the 500 or so stars are visible to the naked eye, while under moderate conditions the number increases to 9, and under clear dark skies, jumps to more than a dozen. To see the rest, good quality binoculars or a telescope is required; but the cluster is still difficult to locate as it is spread over only 2 degrees - about four times the diameter of the moon.

The name "Pleiades" itself may have been derived from the Greek word for "to sail" or the word "pleios" meaning "full" or "many".

Another theory is that the cluster is named after the mythological mother, Pleione, which is also the name of one of the brighter stars. According to Greek mythology, the main, visible stars are named for the seven daughters of "father" Atlas and "mother" Pleione: Alcyone, Asterope (a double star), Electra, Maia. .Merope, Taygeta and Celaeno.

Although somewhat similar to the constellation Crusis, comprising Gacrux, Alpha 1 Crusis, Beta Crusis and a few other unnamed stars, which we know (in Australia) to be the Southern Cross, the Subaru badge represents a totally different group of stars.

But why does the Subaru badge only have six stars?

Ken Takeuchi from Japan has provided this insight, including an alternative background for the star emblem:

To say first, SUBARU may stand for "seven sisters" may be true but the Pleiades stars are also called "Mutsura-Boshi", which means "six gathered stars". The star SUBARU even appears in the lyrics written more than 1000 years ago. The word has some romantic feelings to we Japanese.

Fuji Heavy industries, the maker of SUBARU cars, was known as Nakajima Aircraft before WW II, which made many fighters and bombers. Even the famous Mitsubishi Zero fighter had a Nakajima 14 cylinder engine. After the war, the company was forced to spread into 15 companies to cut the strength of the huge weapon industry. But in the early 1950s, five of the companies gathered into one again to restart as a transportation company. That's FUJI and that's why there are five little stars and one big star.

So, the present SUBARU emblem represents the company structure rather than the original star cluster image.

OR

http://www.subaru-global.com/about/origin/
Old 03-07-2005, 08:22 PM   #22
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
I remember seeing someone say that in an American movie, can't remember what it was called, it was about books I think so I probably didnt watch the rest.
I know that movie. It was Finding Forrester kind of movie. Rough neighbourhood, etc.

It was Finding Forrester.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 08:37 PM   #23
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief

I think you'll find that its the south australian government that has given MMAL the biggest assistance.

Meanwhile, the better built, better backed campaign has worked wonders - MMAL have returned to their rightful 4th spot. And they do pretty damn good for a company without the massive expenditures on R&D the others get.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2005, 10:46 PM   #24
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

lol - well researched answer 'Raptor'.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:53 PM   #25
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
and the fact that German car makers used slave labour during WWII (including Ford and Opel), so if you see any Jew driving one, suppose theres a touch of irony there.
Not to mention Henry Ford rather liked Hitler and vice versa, and was also an anti-semite. I seem to remember Ford and GM were rather split as to who to support in the war effort too...
Old 04-07-2005, 07:38 PM   #26
wulos
Forum Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny_Puppy
Not to mention Henry Ford rather liked Hitler and vice versa, and was also an anti-semite. I seem to remember Ford and GM were rather split as to who to support in the war effort too...
Some rather vague comments contained in this quote don't ya think???

Henry Ford it can be argued supported some of Hitlers ideas & principals. It can be argued that he was anti semetic after his past dealings with the banking sector at the time too - mainly Jewish controlled at the time. His main issue was paying money out to partners, "parasites" in his own words - that did NOT have an active part in producing a product bearing his name(money lenders, investors, lawyers, office jockeys, even shareholding members of his own family)
A lot of the anti semetic writings that support these arguments were written by William Cameron, with very little detailed reference to Henry personally, with a lot of the information / development of ideas ets supplied by Ernest Liebold.
You make no mention of the numerous relationships Henry Ford had with the Jewish community, from sending Rabbi Leo Franklin a Model T ford as an annual present to employing no less then 3000 workers of Jewish decent in his workforce during the 20s. Nor did you mention Henry Fords general aversion to war - having funded an unsuccessful 'Peace Ship' mission to Europe during World War 1 to bring the war to an end. Nor the conversion of a LOT of Ford plants during WW2 to produce equipment for the war effort including things from ships, to aircraft, etc.
There is obviously a hell of a lot more that has happened behind the scenes that goes unexplained to allow sensationalistic headline comments like those above to be made - & repeated. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story (or should that be argument???)
Old 04-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #27
Jamie XR6
3FB Detailing Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au

Meanwhile, the better built, better backed campaign has worked wonders -
Especially in Victoria where they mistook the CEO of Mitsubishi for Ron Barassi.

My Website
Old 04-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #28
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Some rather vague comments contained in this quote don't ya think???

Henry Ford it can be argued supported some of Hitlers ideas & principals. It can be argued that he was anti semetic after his past dealings with the banking sector at the time too - mainly Jewish controlled at the time. His main issue was paying money out to partners, "parasites" in his own words - that did NOT have an active part in producing a product bearing his name(money lenders, investors, lawyers, office jockeys, even shareholding members of his own family)
A lot of the anti semetic writings that support these arguments were written by William Cameron, with very little detailed reference to Henry personally, with a lot of the information / development of ideas ets supplied by Ernest Liebold.
You make no mention of the numerous relationships Henry Ford had with the Jewish community, from sending Rabbi Leo Franklin a Model T ford as an annual present to employing no less then 3000 workers of Jewish decent in his workforce during the 20s. Nor did you mention Henry Fords general aversion to war - having funded an unsuccessful 'Peace Ship' mission to Europe during World War 1 to bring the war to an end. Nor the conversion of a LOT of Ford plants during WW2 to produce equipment for the war effort including things from ships, to aircraft, etc.
There is obviously a hell of a lot more that has happened behind the scenes that goes unexplained to allow sensationalistic headline comments like those above to be made - & repeated. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story (or should that be argument???)
Well, German car makers did use slave labour during WWII so thats fact. I was not aware of Henry Fords supposedly anti-semitism but did know he sent Hitler birthday and christmas cards.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post