Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
MR GTP-UTE
BARTOS racing

Default Caltracks

Hey,
i have just fitted a set of second hand caltracks to my ute and was wondering if any one can give me some advice on setting them up as i have not had alot to do with them at all.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
cheers

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09062008(003).jpg (136.1 KB, 71 views)

[QUOTE=Bluepower]

This car has always made impressive power - I can tell you now it's the fastest NA 260 auto period.
MR GTP-UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
turbomania

Default caltracs

they dont look like caltracs,i think that you will find that they are slde-a-links.
turbomania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomania
they dont look like caltracs,i think that you will find that they are slde-a-links.
correcto

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
MR GTP-UTE
BARTOS racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomania
Sorry slde-a-links.......
does anyone know much about them and how they are correctly set up besides the name for them??????

[QUOTE=Bluepower]

This car has always made impressive power - I can tell you now it's the fastest NA 260 auto period.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR GTP-UTE
Hey,
i have just fitted a set of second hand caltracks to my ute and was wondering if any one can give me some advice on setting them up as i have not had alot to do with them at all.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
cheers
I have found if you adjust them so that they just start to load up the springs is a good starting point, on the passenger side adjust them one hex of the bolt on the main bar more (ie" 1/5 of a turn) which roughly compensates for the driver, even better have someone in the drivers seat and adjust both sides the same, less preload on them they will hit the tyres harder more preload the opposite will occur. Also found and was recomended by the manufactures of caltracs (Calvert Racing) that you dont want too stiff spring rate running the bars (as when they load up your spring rate increases) so I removed the helper spring and it made a huge difference before it would load up off the line and release unloading the tyres which created alot of issues with traction. Another thing I did was reset the pinion angle with 4deg wedges (angling the pinion down) helped alot also. A bit of trial and error and learn to read track conditions so as to adjust bars accordingly.

If you have the solid bush on the front of the leaf, dont drive to much on the street as the front eye in the chazzy rail cops a hiding.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #6
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR GTP-UTE
Sorry slde-a-links.......
does anyone know much about them and how they are correctly set up besides the name for them??????
Isn't there supposed to be a bolt through one of those two holes there so that the bellcrank captures the leaf between an upper and lower bolt?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Isn't there supposed to be a bolt through one of those two holes there so that the bellcrank captures the leaf between an upper and lower bolt?
By the look of the picture you cant see the top of the pivot arm so wouldnt be able to see the bolt you are talking about.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:54 PM   #8
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
By the look of the picture you cant see the top of the pivot arm so wouldnt be able to see the bolt you are talking about.
Erm, no, there should be a bolt below the leaf aswell? (Two bolts even!)
ie As per "Instructions, C2094" here

Last edited by Gammaboy; 10-06-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Gammaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #9
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeh your right my bad, misread what you said, I see what you mean two bolts go under the spring as well.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

on the slidealinks there is a bracket (not bolt) which runs from one side to the other and sits below the spring. It does not fit if there is multiple leafs in the mounting area, so normally it is cut out. The holes you see are its securing holes

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #11
MR GTP-UTE
BARTOS racing

Quote:
Thanks guys that web site sorted me out,now i no where to start the pre load on them.
cheers

[QUOTE=Bluepower]