Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
BabyJ
Slow Learner

Default Calling all Stuart Macgill fans!

Hi,

Just watching the replay of the Aussies test against the Windies and I came across the question:
What use is Stuart Macgill? or more to the point: WHY send Stuart Macgill?

Now, I realise that the Aussie selectors have been spoiled by having Warney as their #1 spinner for the last decade and Macgill has been a poor stand-in ( at best! )when Warney was unavailable.
But why have him as Warney replacement????
There are a heap of Young, talented spin bowlers in the Domestic comp to choose from let alone Michael Clarke!
Stuart Macgill is a third rate bowler at best. He's not a team player, bats worse than Phil Tuffnel and is no better in the field than a wet towel! He bowls way too many full-tosses, half-trackers and general sh.1te and most of his wickets come from batsmen error!

Why not send a young, up & coming spin bowler? Its only the Windies for goodness sake, not India at home, and with Macgill knockin 40yrs on the Door, they would have a future in the side!

Please tell me the selectors point of view...

BabyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJ
Hi,

Just watching the replay of the Aussies test against the Windies and I came across the question:
What use is Stuart Macgill? or more to the point: WHY send Stuart Macgill?

Now, I realise that the Aussie selectors have been spoiled by having Warney as their #1 spinner for the last decade and Macgill has been a poor stand-in ( at best! )when Warney was unavailable.
But why have him as Warney replacement????
There are a heap of Young, talented spin bowlers in the Domestic comp to choose from let alone Michael Clarke!
Stuart Macgill is a third rate bowler at best. He's not a team player, bats worse than Phil Tuffnel and is no better in the field than a wet towel! He bowls way too many full-tosses, half-trackers and general sh.1te and most of his wickets come from batsmen error!

Please tell me the selectors point of view...
It depends if you're a stat-whore. When MacGill and Warney played together, Stewey took more wickets for less runs. When MacGill played without Warney, he also did well.

MacGill's SR is better than Warney's and his average is only a couple of runs above his.

If you want me to defend his position in the team? I won't. If you want me to agree he's a third rate bowler, I can't. His success trumps my opinion.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Now is the time to at least have a younger spinner in the team as an extra or 12th man, just to get them used to touring with the team but not having to rely heavily on them.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

wasn't magilla the fourth quickest bowler to get 200 test wickets
also until recently he had man of the match in his 2nd last test
and probably deserved man of the match in his last test (aust v world 11)

he is no shane warne but may consider himself unlucky. if anyone had to name the 3 best leg spinners australia has had, they would have to be warnie, richie and magilla. he is a little unlucky to have been one of the few that is so good, only to have perhaps the best bowler of all time competing with him. of course without warnie, maybe no one would have cared about leg spin and magilla may have been forgotten before he even started
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
BabyJ
Slow Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
It depends if you're a stat-whore. When MacGill and Warney played together, Stewey took more wickets for less runs. When MacGill played without Warney, he also did well.

MacGill's SR is better than Warney's and his average is only a couple of runs above his.

If you want me to defend his position in the team? I won't. If you want me to agree he's a third rate bowler, I can't. His success trumps my opinion.
True... but his success was only because of or on "spin-friendly" wickets, therefore giving him a good average. He was always up for selection when the Aussies played at the SCG. He might have bowled well in tandem with Warne but Warney always brought out the best in the bloke bowling at the other end. Thats because he put so much pressure on the batsmen that they saw the other bowler as a chance to score off.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
bingoTE50
Steve

I'd like to see Cameron White in there. He needs to work on his bowling and develop a true wrong-un , but is a future captain and can bat in the top six .A better allrounder option than Shane "the tampon"Watson ( in for one out for four)
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #7
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Macgill retires

thought this is the best place for this news item.

Farewell Stuey!
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
BabyJ
Slow Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
A better allrounder option than Shane "the tampon"Watson ( in for one out for four)
Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #9
B-Series

Macgill was a good bowler in his prime but age is catching up. His average of around 28 for most his career is very good for a spin bowler. It's now gone up to 29 though, due to recent poor performance.
B-Series is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
GT 4eva

macgill as a great leggie, but warne is the greatest spinner ever!!!. you just have to look at the wickets taken in the 14 test since warne retired, its shocking. we were blessed to see him in action. but the aussies will find a good spin option though its just he might not be able to bowl us to test victories like warne did.
GT 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post