Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-06-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Magistrates want Tougher Drink Driving Penalties.. what a joke

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...55E661,00.html

How can these limp wrists say this when they are the ones that let drink drivers off when they dismiss cases on things like :

Number of lights on the old Lion Alcolmeters? 3 .. amber, green and WHITE ( the backlight ) . Police officer said two, amber and green, case dismissed.

Colour of light?? Amber - police officer said Yellow - case dismissed.

Spelling of Lion Alcolmeter .. better get that right or it was ... case dismissed.

The Magistrates Court has a long history of letting drink drivers off on a technicality .. now they whine like petulant children that they can't deal with repeat drink drivers properly. Perhaps they can deal with their own system before attacking someone elses. Yes, the maximum penalty of 3 months is a joke ... However, there are a lot of drink drivers and repeat drink drivers that have never been found guilty because of the same people carrying on about the lack of tools, have let them off an a BS issue that had nothing to do with the offence.

:

ahhh... that feels better
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 10:01 AM   #2
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Have to have plenty of loopholes there, how else are these magistrates going to get off when they partake of an extended lunchtime tipple. Its a common theme. :
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have heard that the biggest problem Police have is "the system" after they catch the crim.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The police's job is to technically get the offender to the courts .. after that it's suposed to be Not Their Problem... but the reality is much different. It's hard not to get some sort of involvement in the job you do. I have noticed a lot of long term cops have come to terms with it and really don't care whether they win or lose as long as they do their best. That just wasn't me.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 11:35 AM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

It is not right at all.

Why make jail time longer if the offender will get off anyway?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

What a pity these magistrates don't go heavy on rapists, theives and murderers.

Where are their priorities? They pick the easy targets everytime.
Old 24-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I wonder how many times the maximum 3mths jail has even been used now
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2005, 06:30 PM   #8
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
I wonder how many times the maximum 3mths jail has even been used now
Not often enough I'll bet :(

Sad thing is, there are so many that have the "I won't get caught" attitude that no matter what the penalties are, they'll continue to do it. :(

I know, I know of a guy who got done for driving with a BAC of 0.14, and continued to drive, his attitude was "how are they going to stop me?" _ Bloody idiot!
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 12:38 AM   #9
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's infuriating when a person faces court for not only driving while suspended following a drink driving charge, but actually drink driving to a substantial degree while their licence is suspended. These are the sort of people that should be locked up and banned from getting a licence for 5 years, more for multiple offences.

Driving while suspended is bad enough, but having the arrogance to drive drunk shows zero regard for the law and for the safety of themselves, their passengers, and other road users.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2005, 11:08 AM   #10
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MaDDeSTMaN
Not often enough I'll bet :(

Sad thing is, there are so many that have the "I won't get caught" attitude that no matter what the penalties are, they'll continue to do it. :(

I know, I know of a guy who got done for driving with a BAC of 0.14, and continued to drive, his attitude was "how are they going to stop me?" _ Bloody idiot!
This guy has been caught once again so I heard through the grapevine, last time he had his daughters in the car, not sure about this time. But how fricken irresponsible of people is it to drink and drive with their bloody kids in the car? :SaiyanSmi

Drink drivers are potentially worse than rapists and thieves in my book, drink drivers have a lethal weapon and should be treated as though they are potential murderers. :jab: