Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default NSW Numberplates, keeping 1?

Ive just ordered a replacement set of numberplates for my car as my current ones are chipped and damaged. The content is the same and the new ones will look exactly the same as the old ones.

Im wondering though, can I keep one of the old plates? I'd really like to keep one of them and use it in a bit of a display in my garage. What are the odds that the RTA will let me do this, and what would be likely to happen if I took the old plates back to the RTA to collect the new ones, and told them 1 was stolen? Will I be unable to use my plates?

Thanks for any help

b2tf

Old 09-03-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Ive just ordered a replacement set of numberplates for my car as my current ones are chipped and damaged. The content is the same and the new ones will look exactly the same as the old ones.

Im wondering though, can I keep one of the old plates? I'd really like to keep one of them and use it in a bit of a display in my garage. What are the odds that the RTA will let me do this, and what would be likely to happen if I took the old plates back to the RTA to collect the new ones, and told them 1 was stolen? Will I be unable to use my plates?

Thanks for any help

b2tf
not sure about the 'telling it was stolen' technique, not sure what they'd say. But in melbourne, the only way Vicroads let you keep the plates is if you promise to destroy them yourself. I've 'promised to destroy' quite a few of my old plates! Give them a call and ask if you can 'take care of them' yourself.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

like crackers said, just tell em you'll destroy them yourself, i kept both of mine after i traded in my last car. i have them hanging in my room!

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Odd, when I replaced my standard plate with the slimline Vicroads told me to just keep the old one if I wanted it. Do you guys up there have to register 6x4 trailers or is it like down here where you just paint the number plate of the tow vehicle on it? If it's the same as here maybe just say you want to keep it for your trailer.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Kryton

if you say one of them was stolen, they will cancel the rest of the plates and they will be useless to you.
as for keeping them, you can only ask.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Odd, when I replaced my standard plate with the slimline Vicroads told me to just keep the old one if I wanted it. Do you guys up there have to register 6x4 trailers or is it like down here where you just paint the number plate of the tow vehicle on it? If it's the same as here maybe just say you want to keep it for your trailer.
guess it just comes down to how much of a rats backside the phone operator could give at the time, as to what they tell you to do with the plates..
Old 09-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackersINC
guess it just comes down to how much of a rats backside the phone operator could give at the time, as to what they tell you to do with the plates..
Ahh there's the difference. I went to the office.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Not bloody likely, we have to register pretty much anything with wheels up here. I dont like my chances of promising the destroy the old plates either, I might call and ask though.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
if you say one of them was stolen, they will cancel the rest of the plates and they will be useless to you.
as for keeping them, you can only ask.
Thats what I thought they might do.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

In QLD you get to keep them, but thats QLD, so I'm not even sure why I am telling you!!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
In QLD you get to keep them, but thats QLD, so I'm not even sure why I am telling you!!
well that's the thing though. There's fine print on new plates saying that they remain the property of vicroads even though you've paid for them, it's essentially a lease. In spite of this, they basically let you keep them anyway, so it's not gunna hurt asking.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #12
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

When I got coloured plates for my AU, Vicroads never even asked for the old plates, they just told me that when the new plates come put the new ones on my car, and what I do with the old one is up to me, this was about two years ago.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #13
xbcool
dazed&confused

b2tf, unfortunatly you live in nsw so you will no doubt be screwed over.
I had my plates remade 12 months ago due to damage and was told to return both plates regardless of condition.
I'd love to try and claim 1 of the xb's plates were stolen to get one for the shed wall but I'm not prepared to have them cancelled.

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #14
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

They were not fussed when I didn't returm the plates on my car when it came to re-registration...still have them downstairs although one is supposed to return them when A) the vehicle is no longer registered and B) when the plates are replaced or changed in NSW.

Due to really annoying new legislation, I have to pay $500 per annum for my personal plates- prior to this, if you had personal plates, I believe that they incurred a one off price- the LTD I purchased has LTD 75 plates- will I have to hand these back or are they my property given that they were bought years ago?

Sorry, not trying to steal this thread!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
coolelxr
Starter Motor

I used to have NSW Bicentennial number plates on an XF. When I swapped them for personalised plates, the RTA officer suggested I hand one in and report the other as "lost" (the originals were a limited release). Not sure how it would work in your case though, as you're getting the same plates re-issued. I'd say its worth a shot and good luck.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #16
TadKa
Wait? What?

In Tas when I changed plate style they were very strict on surrendering plates. quite harsh penalties applied.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #17
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

When I handed in my NT plates, I only took one. Told them that Skippy had claimed the other. They charged me $20, and I got to keep one of the plates.

Ended up framed on my wall! :P

Not much they can do about it, just say it fell off!

Cheers
Old 09-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #18
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Say one was destroyed in an accident, hence the reason for ordering new plates.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #19
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolelxr
I used to have NSW Bicentennial number plates on an XF. When I swapped them for personalised plates, the RTA officer suggested I hand one in and report the other as "lost" (the originals were a limited release). Not sure how it would work in your case though, as you're getting the same plates re-issued. I'd say its worth a shot and good luck.
I had the same bicentennial plates replaced in a different design and got to keep one of them after the lady at the RTA suggested I keep one. Also I kept a sentimental plate of a write off when I went to the smash repairer to get my personal effects. I took it off the front bumper and the smash repairer just said he didn't see anything LOL :
Old 09-03-2008, 11:08 PM   #20
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If one of your number plates fell off and you need a new plate, they would remake them and make you hand the remaining one in and give you a new set to stick on your vehicle until the new ones arrive. You would then get a letter advising you that your remade plates have arrived, you would need to go to the RTA and swap the interim plates for the remade ones.Oh, of course there is a fee.
Regards,
Tote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #21
Binnie
EB11 falcon GLI

Just tell then you want to keep an old one to use on a bike rack or something as you can have additional ones made for this purpose i don't see how they can stop you.

FORDS IN THE PARK

FTF Car Club of NSW
Binnie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #22
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Just claim one was stolen. My olds live in NSW and had the front plate stolen off their 4x4. They reported it and the RTA just punched out another one with a bill of $37 thanks. The plate is the exact same as the original.
The plate that was stolen has been used in their area stealing fuel from servos and no one cares. Just report one stolen and all is fine. You just need to sign a bit of paper when you go in to the RTA.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #23
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

Just tell me where your parking the ute tonight, I'll take care of the rest.

I'm drinking Jack Daniels at the moment........ :evil3:

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #24
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

I got new plates on my
focus, kept the old ones, just had to put them on the car when i sold it.

Those plates are now on my XR too
Old 10-03-2008, 06:06 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Bakes
Just tell me where your parking the ute tonight, I'll take care of the rest.

I'm drinking Jack Daniels at the moment........ :evil3:
If Jack is at your place you'll probably try and take off the whole front bar :

The ute is not in town at the moment anyway.........
Old 10-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #26
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really did loose a plate a few years ago, it rattled off on the dirt roads ;)

RTA replaced it without a question, well I had to fill in a form & pay a small amount from memory ..... easy pease :P
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf

Thanks for any help

b2tf
Austin, we did the same 'stolen' thing when my pop passed away and we sold his car we told the RTA that one of the plates were stolen. They never said a word
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post