Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
jlef5

Default Roof top camper

I was looking around on ebay before got bored so started looking at camping gear. and came accross a roof top camper for a 4 wheel drive. This is a link to one of them. Has anyone used one and know if they are any good. Looks like it would take a few seconds to set up be good idea i think.

jlef5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

What link??
Old 03-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
jlef5

Sorry fella's this was the link meant for first post
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-ROOF-TOP-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Seen these heaps up north, great for keeping away from snakes, goannas, pigs, dogs, spiders, drunk locals etc...

Just dont forget about where you are when you get up to go to the toilet in the middle of the night
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

not too sure how i'd trust them on the roof of a falcon, i know they mount to the gutter rail under the rubber, but im not sure i'd be a fan of putting that much weight on the roof.

IMO buy a camper trailer, or pitch a tent
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
jlef5

No this will be going on the roof of a patrol and its for when we go up north with the inlaws later this year and quick fishing trips on the weekend. I was only worried about the weight on people on the floor when half of it isn't supported at all.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

ah ok, perhaps you could put a few roof rack bars across under it, for extra support.

the actual floor of the unit should be up to the task though
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
fmc351
let it burn

If all you want is rain shelter and a place to sleep, theyre perfect.

They take maybe 5 minutes to setup. The window flaps are held up with spring metal shafts to keep it aired. The whole thing pops up as you open the flap that hangs off the car. Its those metal shafts and the ladder that take the most time. Theres even a skirt like piece you can get to hang round the ladder giving you a place to sit, dress etc.

There are some really good ones though, they have an opening that aligns with one of the doors of the car so you dont have to venture outside to get dressed etc as theres no storage room in the tent.

The one in the listing, I couldnt tell you about its quality though. Ask him if theres a weight limit to the floor.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #9
aye you
The Origional, The Best

so i take it you can retract the ladder while ur in there? how much weight can the over hang portion hold up?
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #10
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
so i take it you can retract the ladder while ur in there? how much weight can the over hang portion hold up?
Nah. The ladder is two piece so it can adjust to different height roofs and ground levels. The ladder stays ......you hope.

Not sure of weight.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:24 AM   #11
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

That can not be serious?? I thought it was a joke. Good Luck trying to get a woman up there!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #12
jlef5

Hey the missus agreed to sleeping in the back of the Maverick Wagon this thing will be alot better.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

hey i bought 1 for my new patrol off ebay for 600 for bathurst last year as we camp a bit and its great the wife had no probs getting up top its almost queen size the catch was the roof racks to mount it were the same as purchase price
Old 04-03-2008, 01:26 PM   #14
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

i was thinking about making something similar to the one on the ebay link for my F100, but I do like vanmans tent..
I'd say the ebay one can take a reasonable amount of weight, but i'd be making a couple of support poles for the overhanging part, just for piece of mind
Old 04-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #15
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

when we turned up at bathurst peoples whole camps were getting blown over tents tarps you name it. we just flipped it over no probs , people kept asking where i got it from,had friends sleep in bottom also with queen blow up mattress its made quite well, you would be surprised,and it comes with support poles if you wish to use them , and as for weight it will hold im 110 wife average no probs got 4 rhino racks under it that hold 150 kg each , went overboard there but safe better than sorry. i modified it a bit they had screwed from the frame into the ply , i redrilled and doubled the screws from ply into steel sweet as . good luck
Old 04-03-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
... im 110 wife average ...
So much tact.