Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Default USA Update - The adventure is OVER

Well after almost 11 months here, the adventure is over, the economic changes and bullsh!t that the USA are going through have lead us to a post haste exit from the USA, with Lara pregnant the company was expecting me to travel 4 days a week from the East to the West coast...and that could be for the next 3 years...with Lara already feeling somewhat lonely..we decided it was a omen and time to head back to Australia...it sucks somewhat..as we are now responsible for our our way back to Aus...but all going well we estimated we still MADE MONEY whilst we are here and are coming back with a nice profit in the pocket...thats after almost 20k in expenses to get home...Currently sitting in a hotel in Hawaii (5 day break on the way home) and we should be home and back on the Employement hunt Wednesday....

I guess I put it down to experience but all in all so glad we took the risk and had an EXCELLENT adventure and time whilst here.....

Thanks to everyone that took an interest in our adventure to the land of the free and morons with automatic weapons in every street..

Cheers

Craig, Lara, Lachlan and soon to be Georgia.....

For those wondering why we left, with my wife being 5 months pregnant and if anything went pear shaped I would be stuck in a country with NO earning potential and unable to travel back to australia for approx another 8 months...so we took the safe and really only option available to us...

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Craig, sorry to hear about your situation but will be great to have you back!! At least you got to have one last Xmas in the US of A
Old 24-02-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Scott

Life comes first - sounds like you made the right call. Besides, it's not really a bad thing to have to move to the greatest place on earth where all your friends and family are is it??
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Yeah its all good, enjoying the sun in Hawaii on the way home, and well its sad but really we only were going to spend another 12 months here at best...so we are happy and excited to be coming home, also the area and space in which I work is still booming in Australia so its all GOOD...and Lara and Lachlan are happy to be heading back to Australia..Oh and LOL we already have like 15 invites to parties...drinks...dinners...nights away...baptisms....and everything in between...so we are happy..at the end of the day its ONLY Money...and its not that important.

Craig
Old 24-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Couldn't agree more...the best things in life...are not things!!

Be good to have you back...what state you moving back too?
Old 24-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Couldn't agree more...the best things in life...are not things!!

Be good to have you back...what state you moving back too?
Good Question.. Have been offered a job in Perth as a partner...got a contract opportunity in Queensland..a couple in NSW and 2 in Melbourne....so I really dont know YET!!...But will probably base out of Vic..and see what happens...

Craig
Old 24-02-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Must say Thanks mate for sharing your adventures and pictures . Most enjoyable.. An awesome experience to be able to do what you did...
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
XRQTOR
Banned

It seems alot of people are selling their toys atm with the economy the way it is over their, plenty of bargins to be had thats for sure.

What line of work you in.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

sorry to hear about your the interuptions to your plans but then again the best thing about having a plan is that you can change it to suit the situation at the time.

good to hear that you choose to put your familly before the $$$.

you can always look back on the last year as a great adventure that few people get to experience and you would have learnt heaps while you were away that will help you in the future (both job wise and in life generaly). sounds like you wont be on the job search for long.

anyway it was good to read your stories about the real usa , intead of the ones from the media/ travel agents/ etc who all have a agender that they are trying to push.

welcom back
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #10
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome back mate and thanks for the insights. Best wishes for mum and bub.
Regards,
Tote
Old 25-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #11
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Craig, sorry things didn't work out in the US for you. Congrats on the wife being pregnant! At least the health care is a lot better in Australia, so you won't have any troubles with the birth.
Welcome back to Oz mate and thanks for sharing your time over there with us.
Old 25-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
Duke
The Duke

Congrats on the move back to Oz, I'm sure it'll be the start of a new and exciting era in your lives.
Any man who has a pregnant wife, I consider to be amongst the luckiest blokes alive.
Best wishes for the next little Aussie too.
Old 25-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Sorry to hear Craig, at least you gave it a shot not many people get that chance. Hope all goes well on your move back 'down under'.
BTW come up to the Sunshine state mate its the best place on earth
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 12:48 PM   #14
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Thanks for the all the nice replies guys...Someone asked what line of work, I am a SAP Functional Consultant...here is plenty of work all around the world at the moment, we just chose to come home. However if the better half was not expecting, we could have gone to..Germany, England, and also Dubai....the world can be your oyster if you are willing to take a chance, we are so thankful, we have had the best time here ever and learnt so much about ourselves what we TOOK for granted back home and just how different yet the same things can be...Dont know many people that effectively got a 11 month paid holiday and come home with something else...

Its been a fantastic journey and all this means is we are recalculating the route we are taking...So much happier to be having an Australian Citizen as a daughter as well...

Craig
Old 25-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #15
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Mate, atlease it would have been one hell of an Adventure
Have a safe trip back and a relaxing time in Hawaii
Old 25-02-2008, 05:14 PM   #16
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

You made the right choice: the USA is one place I would not want to be in need of any health care. Even if you have insurance I would hands down rather have any health events in Au.

Welcome back to the lucky country!
Old 25-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #17
Campo81

Thanks for sharing your adventure mate. Hope all goes well with returning back to oz and your birth
Campo81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 06:50 PM   #18
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

They say that aus is the 53rd state of america so your not really going anywhere lol!, welcome home dude!
Old 25-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #19
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Mate Aus is so far removed and better than the US its not funny, I cant wait till I get on the big bird and come home......mmm dim Sims and proper food are just small things on the list..

Craig
Old 25-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #20
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

So would you now say living in the states for 12mths is a great expereince but you could never live there long term. I just remember your oringinal posts when you had been there a few weeks, almost had my bags packed and on a plane. Well not really but it did sound good. Also we are only getting brief reports on whats happening over there. We know their having economic troubles and the housing market stinks but how is affecting the man in the street?

Thanks for the updates and pics, its been a great read.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

So your coming back Craig when I'm about to leave for Sing. We'd all better have a drink up when you get back!
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #22
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Good move mate, apparently wealthy people are leaving the US in droves, something to do with their economy going down the toilet...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #23
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what an adventure! I have a friend in NJ who is a owner/driver, hasnt had any work for 6 weeks.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #24
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc
what an adventure! I have a friend in NJ who is a owner/driver, hasnt had any work for 6 weeks.
Ask him if he wants a load from Kansis to L.a, how much.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 08:26 PM   #25
Sloth

I enjoyed reading your posts about living in the US. Too bad it didn't work out but you've made the right choice by the sounds of it. It will be good to be home anyway.
Old 26-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #26
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what an adventure though, must feel great ! ... i loved reading/seeing ur posts/pics about the USA!!

EDIT: Time to buy your VY SS back ? lol.

Correct my stupidity if im wrong, but was the VE out when you left ?
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #27
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

its been a blast and am now back in Melbourne, so happy to be back...No VYSS for me I dont think, I might and see what I end up doing for work before making a choice for a car...We never sold our Corolla before we left so its all good....

Daniel Sure mate let me know when and where I am up for a drink ALWAYS...

Someone asked about the climate over there and how its affecting the man in the street, its affecting him/her more than ever...cause now so many more people are actually livin in that street....its pretty bad lots of people losing jobs, cars and walking away from Million dollar homes every day as they cant meet there repayments or know they wont recoupe the losses they already have suffered..its a pretty ordinary place at the moment.

Craig