Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-06-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Search Bar

I need a program where I can kill the annoying search bar that appears on IE everytime I'm in google or I'm on different web sites. If i search on something in google, it pops up in a frame in IE on the left hand side. I have to keep hitting the X to close it. Any ideas on suitable programs for searching and destroy it?

I've tries Adware and Spybot and neither of those destroy it

Thanks in Advance
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Its called firefox or even better use mozilla 1.78 and stop using IE and outlook :o)
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Here you go: http://www.mozilla.org/
Old 11-06-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm downloading Mozilla now. I already have firefox, but I didn't like it. So I uninstalled it. IE does everything I need so I just stick with what I know. But I'll give mozilla a go.

I'm still keen to get a fix for removing that search bar.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yea im kinda gettting the saem problem though, i use firefox, but i keep getting these goddamn annoying pop ups there called aurora or something and they come up all the time, whats your fav adware/spyware removing programs
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2005, 10:20 AM   #6
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Ad-aware from lavasoft is the one I use.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:20 AM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm on Mozilla now. I tested google and the popup search bar has stopped. Yay Looks very much like Netscape. Not keen on it loading the mozilla web site each time I fire it up. Under IE I could have a blank page come up. ANyway, might have a play with it.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:29 AM   #8
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

You can change your start page to what ever you like, even a blank page.
Everythink you want is under Edit -> preferences

Oh and the thing i like the best is the tabs.
Try it press ctrl T
Old 11-06-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado
You can change your start page to what ever you like, even a blank page.
Everythink you want is under Edit -> preferences

Oh and the thing i like the best is the tabs.
Try it press ctrl T
Thats very cool. Just gave it a go.

Thanks for your help, think I might stick with mozilla
Old 11-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #10
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

or if you have a mouse with the scroll button in the middle, you put the mouse cursor on what you want to open & press down on the scroll button, it will put it into a tab. I love the tabs on Mozilla!

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #11
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I need a program where I can kill the annoying search bar that appears on IE everytime I'm in google or I'm on different web sites. If i search on something in google, it pops up in a frame in IE on the left hand side. I have to keep hitting the X to close it. Any ideas on suitable programs for searching and destroy it?

I've tries Adware and Spybot and neither of those destroy it

Thanks in Advance
These search bars seem pretty harmless, but its a great idea to remove them, rather than just switch browsers. Some run resident programs that can track everything you type, right down to your netbank sign on details. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

There are a few options, you can choose for free that save a lot of hassle.

Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) <-- Excellent for beginners. Automated updates and scans. (Highly Recommended)
Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition <-- Great for beginners, scans result in wide range of spyware hits. (Highly Recommended)
HiJack This <-- very good, can remove ANYTHING, but not for beginners.

As someone that fixes these threats for a living, i recommend running the Microsoft version and the lavasoft one. Then if you're confident you've got something that these two programs won’t pick up, use HijackThis.

If you're running Windows XP, install Service Pack 2, as that will help avoid a lot of the problems, with its increased security.

If you don’t have a program like Norton Internet Security or Norton AntiVirus, I recommend getting it. Some web sites have reported that it takes an unprotected system a few minutes online to become infected with a Virus/Spyware. (This seems obvious, but some people are unaware their version is out of date or has old virus definitions - 4 days without an update to the virus definitions can expose the machine to viruses)

I'm glad i can give something back to the FF community. I can help if any members that may be worried about their security/privacy online, just PM me, and ill help as much as i can for free.

Dan
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #12
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

A great program which i have recently started using is Starter

As a primary purpose, Starter allows one to view and manage all the programs that are starting automatically whenever operating system is loading. It enumerates all the hidden registry entries, startup folders' items and some of the initialization files, so that the user could choose to temporarily disable selected entries, edit them, create new, or delete them permanently.

Secondary purpose is to list all the running processes with possibility to view extended process' information (such as used DLLs, memory usage, thread count, priorities etc.), and to terminate selected process (even a Windows NT service, having enough access rights).

Starter is a real Freeware and is not crippled in any way among the similar products. The user interface is pretty simple and has a lot of options that are self-explanatory.

Click here to download

Full information can be found on the Starter Home Page
Old 12-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #13
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

You could try the Mozilla email client also, Thunderbird, I use it for my gmail its really good.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2005, 01:44 PM   #14
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
You could try the Mozilla email client also, Thunderbird, I use it for my gmail its really good.
I just use mozilla which is the browser and mail client in one, unlike firefox which is just the browser and thunderbird which is just the mail client.