Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
andrewts
White Car Driver

Default Moving to Vic from NSW

G'day guys.

I have a question related to my driving licence when moving from NSW to Vic.

The Vicroads website says that you have to be 18 years of age to apply for a licence. At the time of my moving, I will be only 17, but on my P1 licence in NSW. It also says that you can only drive around for 3 months before you must change it. After three months I will still not be old enough, meaning I would have to hand the Ps in for a set of Ls again.

If I were to leave my registered address as a NSW one (meaning I would have to vote in NSW etc) whether I could keep my licence on the basis that I am on a 1 year "holiday" (one in which I find a job, perhaps take up a TAFE course etc) and then change it all around when I turn 18?

Also, the rego for the car runs out in May, so would I have to hold a Victorian licence to register it with a Vic plate, or would I have to redo it in NSW? (Even though you can supposedly only have it on for 3 months - I know people that have done it for 8 months+ no worries).

Cheers for any advice you can give me. Of course the advice "Don't move", whilst it is appealing, is not an option. :P

andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Why would you want to move to victoria? why not go north to queensland?
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
XRNIL8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose

Nah mate ... it ain't all it's cracked up to being .... come down to Vic ... you'll have more fun

Am pretty sure that they will just change you over to P1 ..... will make a call for you tomorrow if you like .... but yeah ..... should be all good. They recognise other states licencing .... when I changed over from Qld to Vic ...was a straight swap and no cost ... but am well and truely on opens ... hahaha!

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
The new home of Motorsport in Central Victoria
XRNIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
andrewts
White Car Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
I'd rather not leave NSW reaaally, but I've got some family in Vic that I can stay with for a while until I get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRNIL8
Am pretty sure that they will just change you over to P1 ..... will make a call for you tomorrow if you like .... but yeah ..... should be all good. They recognise other states licencing .... when I changed over from Qld to Vic ...was a straight swap and no cost ... but am well and truely on opens ... hahaha!
Yeah I suppose I could give Vicroads a call (if you get bored at work tomorrow feel free to do so on my behalf haha), but this page has me worried, because it seems to imply that I'll need to wait before I can do it.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #5
XRNIL8

sorry mate, the link didn't work

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
Old 05-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #6
andrewts
White Car Driver

Quote:
sorry mate, the link didn't work
Bloody computers!

I meant this one: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...rsLicences.htm
Old 05-12-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
XRNIL8

yeah, weird! Will follow up for you tomorrow.

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
Old 06-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #8
AusM
AusMotorsport

Look forward to cheaper rego (our 3rd party compulsory is much cheaper in Vic), no forced yearly roadworthies for 3+ year old cars (just random checks and RW on sale) and twice as many speeding fines!
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
andrewts
White Car Driver

Haha yeah there certainly are plenty of Family Photo opportunities down there in Vic! I'll just have to learn to control myself.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewts
G'day guys.

I have a question related to my driving licence when moving from NSW to Vic.

The Vicroads website says that you have to be 18 years of age to apply for a licence. At the time of my moving, I will be only 17, but on my P1 licence in NSW. It also says that you can only drive around for 3 months before you must change it. After three months I will still not be old enough, meaning I would have to hand the Ps in for a set of Ls again.

If I were to leave my registered address as a NSW one (meaning I would have to vote in NSW etc) whether I could keep my licence on the basis that I am on a 1 year "holiday" (one in which I find a job, perhaps take up a TAFE course etc) and then change it all around when I turn 18?

Also, the rego for the car runs out in May, so would I have to hold a Victorian licence to register it with a Vic plate, or would I have to redo it in NSW? (Even though you can supposedly only have it on for 3 months - I know people that have done it for 8 months+ no worries).

Cheers for any advice you can give me. Of course the advice "Don't move", whilst it is appealing, is not an option. :P
Vicroads will not issue you with a drivers licence unless you are 18. No if's or buts. You will be issued with a learner permit and if you're lucky, they may waive the minimum amount of time you have to hold it for.

Keep your NSW licence because it will exempt you from demerit points accrued in Victoria and it will allow you to keep driving. As long as you're sensible, anything under 3 or 4 points will not be reported or recorded, despite literature stating that it can.

You can also hold a car registered in Victoria with a NSW licence, so register your car in Victoria and change the garaged address to your Vic address. So hand in your NSW plates to Vicroads before hand and just transfer it over.

Any other q's, just shoot.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #11
andrewts
White Car Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak
Vicroads will not issue you with a drivers licence unless you are 18. No if's or buts. You will be issued with a learner permit and if you're lucky, they may waive the minimum amount of time you have to hold it for.

Keep your NSW licence because it will exempt you from demerit points accrued in Victoria and it will allow you to keep driving. As long as you're sensible, anything under 3 or 4 points will not be reported or recorded, despite literature stating that it can.

You can also hold a car registered in Victoria with a NSW licence, so register your car in Victoria and change the garaged address to your Vic address. So hand in your NSW plates to Vicroads before hand and just transfer it over.

Any other q's, just shoot.
Cheers for that mate, sounds like it shouldn't be too much a problem to hang on to the NSW licence.

Having a NSW licence but driving a Vic car, would I use the NSW (red on white) or Vic (white on red) P Plates?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #12
XRNIL8

Shounak has answered the question just as it was given to me from Vic Roads staffer today .... can't add any more really.

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
Old 06-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #13
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewts
Cheers for that mate, sounds like it shouldn't be too much a problem to hang on to the NSW licence.

Having a NSW licence but driving a Vic car, would I use the NSW (red on white) or Vic (white on red) P Plates?

Thanks
You would always abide by the conditions on your licence. So you would display the White on red. Not the Vic ones.

However, you would face the speed restrictions imposed by your NSW licence. Although most Vic Cops would have no idea about that and you will have Vic plates, which will not attract undue attention.

Even though it's technically not allowed, I would suggest putting up Vic P plates. You're going into the nitty gritty of legislation here and it will keep you out of trouble.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:01 PM   #14
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They cannot book you for doing the Victorian sped limit for P Platers. There is no legislation covering the 90km/h thing in Victoria, so if there is no legislation/law you can't break it.

I have had heaps and heaps of arguments with people on here about this, but I am right.

Shounak is absolutely spot on with his information BTW.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:08 PM   #15
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
They cannot book you for doing the Victorian sped limit for P Platers. There is no legislation covering the 90km/h thing in Victoria, so if there is no legislation/law you can't break it.

I have had heaps and heaps of arguments with people on here about this, but I am right.

Shounak is absolutely spot on with his information BTW.
Well when you're travelling interstate, you're always held to the conditions of your licence. I just assumed Vic Pol would hold you to those conditions.

Another interesting question would be on motorbikes. In Victoria, motorbike restrictions are based on cc's. You can't ride anything bigger than 260cc.

But NSW restrictions are based on Power to weight and an approved list of bikes.

If you were riding a powerful bike with a Victorian licence, you're not breaching any NSW laws because you're not held to Power to weight. You're only breaking Vic laws, however there isn't any NSW legislation outlawing riding over 260cc.

I wonder what would happen.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #16
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

go north. vic sucks. i know, i live here =(

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #17
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well when you're travelling interstate, you're always held to the conditions of your licence. I just assumed Vic Pol would hold you to those conditions.
They can't, there is no law in the State of Victoria to cover exceeding 90km/h on NSW P Plates. And Victoria Police do not have the power to prosecute NSW Law - sorry. You can only abide by the laws of the State you are in. Bit like in the old days when NSW had a speed limit for trucks/buses of 90km/h. Drivers could do 100km/h in every State, but had to abide by the 90km/h in NSW.

Quote:
Another interesting question would be on motorbikes. In Victoria, motorbike restrictions are based on cc's. You can't ride anything bigger than 260cc.

But NSW restrictions are based on Power to weight and an approved list of bikes.

If you were riding a powerful bike with a Victorian licence, you're not breaching any NSW laws because you're not held to Power to weight. You're only breaking Vic laws, however there isn't any NSW legislation outlawing riding over 260cc.

I wonder what would happen.
Same rules as above, the reciprocal powers to prosecute overs borders does not exist. That is why for criminal law, people are held pending extradition to the other State, very similar laws as in getting extradition from overseas.

If you don't believe me, go and ask a Traffic Police person.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #18
andrewts
White Car Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
go north. vic sucks. i know, i live here =(
Haha, Vic's not all that bad. The weather is absolutely miserable compared to NSW though, and that I will miss. Sunny, warm, happy days!

Quote:
Shounak has answered the question just as it was given to me from Vic Roads staffer today .... can't add any more really.
Excellent, thanks for ringing them mate.

Quote:
They can't, there is no law in the State of Victoria to cover exceeding 90km/h on NSW P Plates. And Victoria Police do not have the power to prosecute NSW Law - sorry. You can only abide by the laws of the State you are in.
That answers that question. ;)

So it sounds to me that I'll be fine just as long as I obey the rules of Victoria, and that having Vic Ps and number plate won't really matter, especially if I'm just "borrowing a mates car..."?
Old 07-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #19
Shounak

Quote:
They can't, there is no law in the State of Victoria to cover exceeding 90km/h on NSW P Plates. And Victoria Police do not have the power to prosecute NSW Law - sorry. You can only abide by the laws of the State you are in. Bit like in the old days when NSW had a speed limit for trucks/buses of 90km/h. Drivers could do 100km/h in every State, but had to abide by the 90km/h in NSW.

Same rules as above, the reciprocal powers to prosecute overs borders does not exist. That is why for criminal law, people are held pending extradition to the other State, very similar laws as in getting extradition from overseas.

If you don't believe me, go and ask a Traffic Police person.
Fair enough. Makes sense.

On another note, interstate plates are known to be cop bait. My uncle in the army who was always travelling interstate said that the interstate car would always be the first to get nabbed. I was travelling with a whole bunch of cars all going 125kmh in a 110 zone, but because I had Vic plates and P plates, I was the one who got pulled over.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #20
theunfairadvant

Sometimes i see a group of Harley bikers about 30 of them and there is a few
P plates on them all doing 120km/h in a 110km/h zone, the cops did not even
pull them over at all they just follow them for a distance and back off.

So traveling in a group does help as well esp with Harley's bikes
& the leather jackets.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post