Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Default Model Aircraft - mixing your own fuel??

I'm about to re-acquaint myself with an old childhood hobby of mine. I just bought a Cox .049 engine and a kit is on its way home. I've got a starter kit with the fuel etc but I'm wanting to mix my own fuel later down the track. Can one tell me where to get the ingredients(NSW) and how much I'm in for? I've only got small engines here, the largest being a .15.

Old 14-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #2
richardxr8

Methanol/nitro/oil is what you need !
Most good hobby shops will have this, or try some speedway racers (or nearest VP fuels distributor) for cheap methanol. VP has nitro also as well as 'racing castor oil'. Methanol is maybe $1-$2/litre. Nitro maybe 15-25, and oil around the same as nitro. Its always cheaper to mix your own fuel, but remember that methanol is hygroscopic (like brake fluid, it 'sucks' the water from the atmoshere and becomes 'wet', so it needs to be stored and poured carefully) and is a known cumalative poison (builds up in your system - cant get rid of it)
Oil can be castor or synthetic. Castrol M or Shell Super M (M is for methanol solubulity) is fine. Klotz and coolpower are well known synthetics that work with methanol/nitro.
Whereabouts in lower Hunter are you ? Your local model aircraft club will surely have some members who can help out. I know of clubs in Singleton and Muswellbrook - there are plenty more.

http://www.modelengines.com.au/New_South_Wales.html has alist of some NSW Hobby shops.
http://www.maaa.asn.au/ is the Model Aircraft Asociation of Australia site and has hours of links.

I have bought ingredients from here before, but its Southern Sydney, and they usually distribute to your local hobby shop:
http://www.hhq.com.au/store/cart.php...ategory_id=731
Not sure if they ship/post - give em a call !
richardxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Thanks mate!

I've sussed out a couple of clubs in Cessnock and Maitland and when I get the proper RC stuff, I'll join up. I've only got CL stuff at the moment as this is the little step before venturing back into RC.
Old 14-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #4
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

me and a friend used to mix our own fuel back when i was racing rc cars.
used to have people thinking what the hell went past them down the straight. we used to run arond 45% nitro in the mix, added to a heavily modified motor, i could only ever run in outlaw lol.

as said, storage is the most important part, we didnt close the methanol properly once, and it was in the bin the next day
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
GORDZ
OMGORDZ

ducted fan jets ftw =)

BA XR6 Ute, twin throttlebodied blueprint.
GORDZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
richardxr8

I only have C/L stuff ! (well, a few RC planes, but RC is really only a sideline !!) There are still a few CL'ers round there (just a handful...)
Control Line is sorta like drag racing - The same people who just dont understand "what - just race for 400M ? no corners ? " also dont understand the fun and competitiveness in "what - they just go round and round on 'strings' ?)
The only advantage I see in RC is the proliferation of ARF stuff (Almost Ready to Fly)
The 'hardcore' RC planes still require the same effort as CL planes.
Enjoy the hobby/sport - whether you want to build/engineer/tinker or just fly !
There is a nice friendly event call the Hunter Valley Championships - usually on the first weekend in March in muswellbrook. Look it up if possible - fun event with CL and RC (some FF sometimes) on the same field.
Water in methanol is bad casue what happens when water boils ? Steam right ? LOTS of steam ! water boiling -> LOTS of steam. = compression is not optimal - usually detonation, even though steam slows the rate of combustion and cools the burn.... 2 strokes remember....
If you want go really high nitro, (70+) lemme know as there are a few tricks, but there is much power to be had, but the risks are greater... things turn blue quite quickly. If everything is perfect, plugs will last ok on 70+. if things arent perfect, it will likely heat damage the head/piston and possibly the sleeve.. : just ask the top fuel guys !
richardxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
ducted fan jets ftw =)
Hmm no thanks mate, I have a half built 66mm home built miniature turbine for a Salamander I was building. I'll get it going one day..

Thanks for the info Richard. I used to have a few mates that were all into contol lines but have moved onto RC and other things in life. I used to have a fair few of the old Aeroflyte control line stuff but all that remains from those is my old you beaut Aeroflyte lines and handle and a lonely OS 15. I'll look into the Muswellbrook meet and try and get some practice in. Thanks again.
Old 15-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDZ
ducted fan jets ftw =)
I made a nice hovercraft with one of those attached to an OS 46 engine. 4" duct, 7 blade...forget how much boost....2hp @ 32000 rpm!! The thing was scary...had no drag and no brakes. Stopping involved flipping the rudder to full lock, gunning the engine to swing a 180, straightening the rudder and holding it flat in the opposite direction till it slowed up, then killing it. The setup used the one fan for both cushion and thrust. Wind and slopes are bad.

I put it on an airboat later but it would launch skywards and flip at the slightest ripple or sharp turn. Must get that thing going again one day....

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

been 049-.15, they'll barely drink any fuel... may as well just order pre-mix as storing nitro, methanol and the oil for long periods of time is not the best idea.

nitro is fairly expensive, we get 4L for $65 usually

methanol we use Shell A (i think, i'll double check on that tomorrow)

oil, we use coolpower, but do you know if you need to run castor or synthetic with the engines you have?
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post