Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
GTS_300_Coupe
Mandy Moore FTW!

Default Where did these silly superstitions come from?

Like walking under a ladder, a black cat crosses your path, breaking a mirror.

I've done all these on numerous occasions... nothing bad has ever come of it. :

GTS_300_Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

done them too and nothing.. Damn black cats.. there is one down the main street that you always see..

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I think the Black Cat one was because people thought they were witches in disguise.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 09:46 PM   #4
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I think the cat one is witch related. No idea on the ones like mirrors and ladders etc.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

These are really old world notions. As far as I know,

Walking under a ladder is really a safety thing. Its bad luck when the handyman up said ladder drops his hammer etc while youre walking underneath it.

Mirrors once upon a time were extremely costly. The maids etc would need to work 7 years to pay for one if they broke it.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 02:09 AM   #6
stiddy
Banned

If you sleep with socks on you go blind! lol thats probably the stupidest one ive heard.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 02:17 AM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS_300_Coupe
Like walking under a ladder, a black cat crosses your path, breaking a mirror.

I've done all these on numerous occasions... nothing bad has ever come of it. :
Are you sure nothing bad has come of it? You do own a Holden. j/k
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 02:54 AM   #8
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
If you sleep with socks on you go blind! lol thats probably the stupidest one ive heard.
well if you sleep with them on your face you will be blind till you take them off

but as for the braking a mirror .... load of rubish i did one the other day and didnt get 7 years bad luck , i got me self a good lawyer and he got me of with only 3 years bad luck :

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a few things my muum told me would send me blind.
Guess she was wrong tho!
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
Theres a few things my muum told me would send me blind.
Guess she was wrong tho!
Your muum? Sounds like she wasn't too far off the mark. :P
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Your muum? Sounds like she wasn't too far off the mark. :P
His eyesight is probably OK, that was the hairy palms.
Old 28-09-2007, 06:52 PM   #12
red_hotxr6
Banned

As you say that make sure you throw the salt over your shoulder for good luck..lol
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I dont no where they come from, but i no walking under a ladder aint ever hurt me!, im a painter and im always going under them! lol!
Old 28-09-2007, 10:27 PM   #14
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

The Ancients attributed mystic powers to any reflective surface, solid or liquid, because the reflection was considered part of the soul. Heavy taboos were laid on the act of disturbing water into which a person was gazing because shattering the image meant danger to the soul. Hence the similar taboo on breaking a mirror, now said to bring seven years' bad luck.
Old 28-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

My mum thinks the ladder one has something to do with the fact that a ladder leaning on a wall makes a triangle with the wall and the ground and that the symbol of a triangle represented life in some historic culture. Walking through 'breaks' the triangle and that means it is 'breaking' life.

Or something like that. You know what... Google would probably help here. If I could be bothered I would look it up to check. :

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #16
Scott

Some of these are really true and have given me bad luck....
I've walked under a ladder and had a car crash;
I've broken a mirror and had a nasty fall at work;
A black cat has crossed my path and my first car was a Holden;
I've slept with my socks on and the missus has beaten the crap out of me for it;
I pulled a silly face when I was young and have lived with it ever since :
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #17
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
My mum thinks the ladder one has something to do with the fact that a ladder leaning on a wall makes a triangle with the wall and the ground and that the symbol of a triangle represented life in some historic culture. Walking through 'breaks' the triangle and that means it is 'breaking' life.

Or something like that. You know what... Google would probably help here. If I could be bothered I would look it up to check. :
Masons are big on triangles - Washington, Canberra and Paris IIRC complete the global triangle with each point being reflected at the other two.... spooky. The White House, Parliament House & the Eiffel Tower make up the all seeing eyes...... apparently.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 11:45 PM   #18
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Masons are big on triangles - Washington, Canberra and Paris IIRC complete the global triangle with each point being reflected at the other two.... spooky. The White House, Parliament House & the Eiffel Tower make up the all seeing eyes...... apparently.
Ok then i will buy some of your pills, How much are they ? Only joking. Seriously if you read to much into this crap it will send you loopy.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #19
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Opening an umbrella inside.... Well I can see it potentially causing damage, maybe that's the bad luck ingredient?

Crossing knives.... My Mum hated that one.... Maybe this could be contibuted to dualing with swords, and an inevitable death?
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 12:44 AM   #20
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
The theory has truth Im guessing, not that Im saying there is any point to it though. The Burley Griffiths who designed Canberra put a large central piece in a church they designed too which was a large collection of triangles making larger triangles, it was on SBS a day or two ago, some Architecture program, they commented on the masonic connection to the triangles.
Old 29-09-2007, 02:29 AM   #21
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Yeh, they're a sick bunch the Freemasons (the one's above the 33rd degree that is)...have a look at the US dollar note, it's got the pyramid (all-seeing eye) on it aswell. Coincidence??

Here's the story behind Friday the 13th...a bad day for the Knights Templar who were kicked out of France, then tortured/killed by King Philip because they had become too powerful through money creation back in 1307.

Did anyone catch the news lastnight about a US Navy building that look's like a Nazi swastika when viewed from above, apparently they're going to 'renovate' the building now...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2007, 06:22 AM   #22
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogInASock
The Ancients attributed mystic powers to any reflective surface, solid or liquid, because the reflection was considered part of the soul. Heavy taboos were laid on the act of disturbing water into which a person was gazing because shattering the image meant danger to the soul. Hence the similar taboo on breaking a mirror, now said to bring seven years' bad luck.
you need my lawyer he'll get you off with less years , i only got three

and stop pickin an the Freemasons all
i was a Freemason till i realised i was worth more now im an expensivemasons : : : :

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post