Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
rhysy_boi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default who else works with aircraft?

i'm just curious what othe rmembers on this forum work with aircraft for a living and what they work on and what they do with them?

personally i am a second year apprentice work at pearce airbase for a contract company who maintain the airforce's no.2 flight training school fleet of pilatus PC-9s. i cover experience in my apprenticeship there of scheduled servicing, deeper maintenance, sheet metal work, hydraulic and wheel bay, flightline and on line maintenance.

Rhys

here's a piccie.

rhysy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

The company I work for is a small avionics contractor to BAE Systems and the RAN/RAAF.
We maintain test equipment used to test Navy's S70B-2 Seahawk electronic components, black boxes etc...

We are also involved with the JSF project in designing test programs for some of the internal aircraft wizardry.
Old 25-08-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
XBCoupeGuy
XBCoupeGuy

I also work on Aircraft. I am ex RAAF (did 9 years) and now work for a large aerospace company as the Team Leader of the F-18 Hornet Maintenance Team at the RAAF Aircraft Research and Development Unit.
Our company's role there is similar to yours where we provide all the maintenance support for the RAAF's aircraft at that unit.
We operate Hornets, PC-9's, Black Hawks, Iroquois and shortly Tiger Helicopters.
XBCoupeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
mad machs
politically incorrect

7 Years working for Her Majestys Royal Air Force.

Refuelling & ASMT, great job but the base is closing next year so I'm being made redundant :
Old 25-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
old_mate
Smash the Boost

used to work for Qantas as a AME-Avionics.

now, cross training to electrician. Already on more $$$.Do miss the planes though

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
aye you
The Origional, The Best

dont work on them, but in them ;)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
AusM
AusMotorsport

Ex-RAAF photographer:

Good experience and the days in the plane were certainly fun, but quite rare... can't complain though!

Some more pics here >
Surely you lot must have some good airshow pics to share?
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

some great photos there PDdesign.

i`m thinking i would like your old job.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Work for Virgin Blue as ground crew loading/unloading aircraft and have just been signed off to pushback aircraft also.
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
rhysy_boi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBCoupeGuy
I also work on Aircraft. I am ex RAAF (did 9 years) and now work for a large aerospace company as the Team Leader of the F-18 Hornet Maintenance Team at the RAAF Aircraft Research and Development Unit.
Our company's role there is similar to yours where we provide all the maintenance support for the RAAF's aircraft at that unit.
We operate Hornets, PC-9's, Black Hawks, Iroquois and shortly Tiger Helicopters.
we do abit of work with your PC-9's also. all of the tradesmen get sent to our base for the aircraft type courses.

also we had to do a wing change of aicraft 22, hit a bird up north and peeled up the end of the wing.
rhysy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 01:09 PM   #11
ReGiE
Yeah Rite

i work for qantas a a mechanical engineer.. have been since 2003 out at Mascot
Old 26-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilracer_01
Work for Virgin Blue as ground crew loading/unloading aircraft and have just been signed off to pushback aircraft also.
I've been thinking of taking up this sort of work once the Engine plant closes, whats involved in getting one of these jobs -training, skills etc, and whats the pay like?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #13
burnz
VFII SS UTE

yep worked for hawker retrenched bye boeing
worked for pratt whitney/mc donald douglass subbie work for raaf (pig)
now doing engine work for garry rogers.(subbie)
and cnc proggaming
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not myself, but ive been lucky, my old man was a flight enigneer on C-130 herc's for 22yrs, then did 8yrs with JAL on 747s up untill last month, he now has retired so no more free flights :(

But alas i have a lot of good memorys flying round in the hercs, and many other aircraft. As far back as i rember!

When i worked on the cattle station i tried to get into flying but didnt get into it enough or have the funds to follow threw to get my own license!So instead deceded to come back to old syndey town and gte married haha.
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 06:45 PM   #15
aye you
The Origional, The Best

macca, just go RAA, heaps cheaper than full PPL, plus theres an abundance of RAA schools in NSW/Sydney
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #16
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I've been thinking of taking up this sort of work once the Engine plant closes, whats involved in getting one of these jobs -training, skills etc, and whats the pay like?
Gday,

Ive been with Virgin Blue for a little over a year, you need to register through the jobs section on the Virgin Blue website job title is Pit Crew, you need to keep a regular eye on the site for when they are having recruitment days.

When you got a recruitment day depending on how many jobs they need will determind how many they put through to the interview stage in the afternoon, during the recruitment day they you will have several interviews and group activities, they will ask you questions on what you know about the company. If you goto a recruitment day let me know prior and I will help you out further.

If you progress you will then have a fairly lengthy interview that afternoon, if you are successful through that stage you will then have an interview with an Airside Manager and HR person at Melbourne Airport and you will also do an airside tour with a team leader, progress through that stage and you will then be sent for a medical (you have to pay for that) and then success after that and you will be offered a job, it sound daunting and a bit lengthy but I think the hardest step is the recruitment day for example at my recruitment day there were around 70 people and only 12 got an interview in the afternoon.

As for the job, once you start you will go through three weeks of training, have exams to pass etc.

The job itself is very easy, relaxed and not stressful, pay is good and there is heaps of o/time if you like doing o/time, roster is six on three off, and well working for an airline the perks are endless.
Old 27-08-2007, 11:09 AM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilracer_01
Gday,

Ive been with Virgin Blue for a little over a year, you need to register through the jobs section on the Virgin Blue website job title is Pit Crew, you need to keep a regular eye on the site for when they are having recruitment days.

When you got a recruitment day depending on how many jobs they need will determind how many they put through to the interview stage in the afternoon, during the recruitment day they you will have several interviews and group activities, they will ask you questions on what you know about the company. If you goto a recruitment day let me know prior and I will help you out further.

If you progress you will then have a fairly lengthy interview that afternoon, if you are successful through that stage you will then have an interview with an Airside Manager and HR person at Melbourne Airport and you will also do an airside tour with a team leader, progress through that stage and you will then be sent for a medical (you have to pay for that) and then success after that and you will be offered a job, it sound daunting and a bit lengthy but I think the hardest step is the recruitment day for example at my recruitment day there were around 70 people and only 12 got an interview in the afternoon.

As for the job, once you start you will go through three weeks of training, have exams to pass etc.

The job itself is very easy, relaxed and not stressful, pay is good and there is heaps of o/time if you like doing o/time, roster is six on three off, and well working for an airline the perks are endless.
Cheers mate. Do they require any sort of qualifications bar year 12.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Cheers mate. Do they require any sort of qualifications bar year 12.
Nothing at all, just show you are happy to do shift work are flexiable and adaptable and you will be as right as rain.

We have a good mix of guys from all sorts of backgrounds ex police, chefs, tradesmen etc.
Old 28-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #19
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where can I get Avdel rivets like the smaller blind rivets that can be seen in this picture:
http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0189vo7.jpg
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2007, 01:24 PM   #20
Scott

Not in the industry but I do my share of passengering lol. 72 flights in the past 12 months, I guess that's about 250 hours. If you blokes could add a little more shoulder room I'd appreciate it!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post