Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #31
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Anyone else here endure the torture of ITIL evangelists on a daily basis? Common sense anyone?
That's part of what I was referring to. ITIL is fine in guideline form, although there is a growing number who seem to feel that Service Desk, Desktop, and Server Support areas are in such disarray that ITIL needs to be adhered to as some sort of gospel that will save us all.

Anybody here work in an ITIL environment who can actually quote any of it?
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #32
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

IT certs are never a hiring criteria for me. Anyone can get them if they spend the money, but you can't buy experience or talent.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #33
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalpunk
I am beginning a new I.T job in 2 weeks and went on a few interviews, every single interviewer was impressed that I was ITIL certified, it didn't matter if they were from H.R or the I.T department, they all wanted ITIL certification.

I even received a call from another company (after I accepted a job) to interview me in regards to a position of Change Manager and System Support which paid $70K.
Never even heard of ITIL, is it the 21st century A+?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #34
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOL 'admit she is no computer whiz" ??? I am surprised she even has enough brain power to tie her own shoes in the morning.
I work in the IT Industry and believe me some people already here, and fairly high up at that, *don't* have enough brainpower to tie their own shoes. :
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #35
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Ahh work for a tertiary education facility like me . No I already have a partner but when did uni students start becoming good looking???
When you now practically need a degree to do modelling or fashion?
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #36
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Never even heard of ITIL, is it the 21st century A+?
It's a set of procedures and protocols on how support staff should do thier job.....nothing particularly ground breaking for anyone who is already in that field (as long as they already do it right). It has absolutly nothing to do with A+ hardware practicalities.....or even software itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
IT certs are never a hiring criteria for me. Anyone can get them if they spend the money, but you can't buy experience or talent.
You and me both. Contractualy, most outsource organisations are, however, bound to provide support staff certified in the relevant environments and applications (and then there are the financial bonuses from software vendors and developers...such as Microsoft).
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums

Last edited by Quasi; 09-08-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #37
FDG 220
Confused lil guy

Just for those who don't know what she looks like

FDG 220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #38
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no bewbs, no care
Old 09-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #39
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
You and me both. Contractualy, most outsource organisations are, however, bound to provide support staff certified in the relevant environments and applications (and then there are the financial bonuses from software vendors and developers...such as Microsoft).
Yeah, that's true - I know a few guys who are cert happy who've done well moving to Canberra where there seems to be a demand for them of late.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #40
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
It's a set of procedures and protocols on how support staff should do thier job.....nothing particularly ground breaking for anyone who is already in that field (as long as they already do it right). It has absolutly nothing to do with A+ hardware practicalities.....or even software itself.
Ugh, sounds horrid. I thought A+ was a joke when I did it about 12 years ago but that sounds even worse.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:53 PM   #41
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
Yeah, that's true - I know a few guys who are cert happy who've done well moving to Canberra where there seems to be a demand for them of late.
I just left there for the Brisbane/Gold Coast area. I moved to Canberra in 1974 and after 33 years it had lost it's appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickXR
Just for those who don't know what she looks like

Looks like jailbait to me. WTF has she got to do with IT again?

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 AM   #42
honer
Back to N/A land

Quote:

While I have limited knowledge of ITIL, its a little more indepth then a "set of precedures for support staff"
honer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 01:43 AM   #43
NatashaED
Still Waiting!!

I work in the IT industry, I work for the schools, and all the tech meetings i have been to i have been the only chic and these are regional meetings... like Barwon south western region, it covers about a 5th of victoria... it's weird girls don't seem to like IT, round here... and i get funny looks from most of the guys, coz i have cleavage i think, they keep looking at that and the fact i wear High heels.... i watched that cyber show the other day and she really doesn't seem to intelligent.... so not sure why they using her as a poster girl, most girls that want to get into the industry are not going to be thinking that she is doing them any favours...
NatashaED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #44
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
I just left there for the Brisbane/Gold Coast area. I moved to Canberra in 1974 and after 33 years it had lost it's appeal.
So you won't be scutineering at Summernats next year? I'd like to move up that way as well, better weather and theres a growing industry there.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:20 AM   #45
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaED
I work in the IT industry, I work for the schools, and all the tech meetings i have been to i have been the only chic and these are regional meetings... like Barwon south western region, it covers about a 5th of victoria... it's weird girls don't seem to like IT, round here... and i get funny looks from most of the guys, coz i have cleavage i think, they keep looking at that and the fact i wear High heels.... i watched that cyber show the other day and she really doesn't seem to intelligent.... so not sure why they using her as a poster girl, most girls that want to get into the industry are not going to be thinking that she is doing them any favours...
The female distribution is pretty thin but I can assure you that you're not the only one out there.

I visit quite a number of sites in Sydney and I would say the distribution would be around 85/15 male to female in the work I do. I'd suggest about the same ratio also exists for people who don't have a clue to people who do.

There is one site a visit, and I won't mention any names, that the whole IT department is female and it's one of the few sites that I know when I get a call there, I'll be looking at a real problem and not just the site being lazy.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #46
NatashaED
Still Waiting!!

yeah, well that's sydney... sorry but i've lived in geelong for too long.... half the girls here seem to think the best career is to get pregnant and see how long you don't need to work for... [sorry to any girls down this way that don't think that way, i'm just cynical] My sister did it, she's 2yrs older, and hasn't worked a day in her life... and she looks at a ford and says it's a holden [she drives an EA and doesn't even know what it is, she has no idea which one of our cars is older, and mines an ED, i thought the alphabet would have made her have an educated guess]... she looks at a computer and asks how to turn it on... i wouldn't mind seeing that all female company, it would probably boost my spirits about my choice of career...
NatashaED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post