Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #91
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm just back from following Targa Tasmania for a week and I got to look over Bana's car very closely and I also got to see it in action.

In summary the car looked a lot faster on the paddock then on the road. It had a very nice roll cage, the dry sump oil and fuel plumbing in the boot looked like touring car stuff. The motor was a tall block windsor with Dart heads and a Edelbrock Victor manifold. Apparently it was stroked. Electric water pump. Oil cooler, but not a stacked plate design. 3" twin exhaust. Sounded nice at idle. Suspension looked pretty standard. Koni shocks and a watts linkage. It ran a RRS rack and pinion, with the pump ran off the back of the drysump pump. Wheels looked to be 17 x 9" and 17 x 11", which aren't allowed in the new 2007 rules, but may have been allowed with the transition rules. The brakes were massive. Gearbox looked to be a Tremec. All of the sound deadening material had been removed.

On the road, the Bana coupe looked disapointing and was slower than most of the other X-series Falcons. I'm not sure how much of it was the driver and how much the car. The car looked too stiff in the rear end. The **** end of the car would sink down into the bumps, whereas better tuned cars just rode over them. The car didn't seem all that powerful either. Other X-series Falcons seemed to accelerate just as hard or harder and the Toranas were in another class again. Bana's driving appeared to be very hesitant and it left a lot to be desired. I wasn't at all surpirsed when I heard that he had crashed. At Georgetown he was the only driver that I saw get off the power and then back on to it again when approaching a corner. At other stages he would often drop back a gear when there was absolutely no need. Hopefully his driving will improve with some more seat time.

Each night I was surprised to see that the Bana coupe was always being maintained, since all of the other X-series Falcons were parked with nothing needed to be done to them. I believe that the cam on Bana's coupe was being chopped out, hence they had to adjust the tappets every night. This would explain why the car didn't seem particulary powerful.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #92
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
I'm just back from following Targa Tasmania for a week and I got to look over Bana's car very closely and I also got to see it in action.
Excellent write-up, thanks for sharing.

I hope he can up his skill level and get the car working right. I suppose he'll never be a Jim Richards, but at least he's out there having a go, more power to him.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #93
Ringo
I see you....

Lets face it.....he's doing what we would all love to.

Throw money at a coupe and go do Targa.....I'm green with envy. Its fixable...thats the main thing.

Love the story about the fwucked Porsche.....Targa will do that.

There is not more dangerous form of motorsport than rally in my opinion. The accident he had was a simple error that on a race track would have you mowing lawn or eating sand but no damage done....at Targa the same thing happens and you hit trees!
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #94
HOON69
Banned

in service area
obviously before the crash.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 06:46 PM   #95
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Actor Eric Bana has crashed out of Targa Tasmania after his 1974 Ford Coupe left the road and hit two trees on the challenging Cethana stage just after lunchtime today.

Bana and his close friend and navigator Tony Ramunno, who had been running in 53rd place outright in the Shannons Classic Competition out of 115 starters, were unhurt.

However, Bana’s previously immaculate Falcon coupe, which he has owned since he was 15 and was recently the subject of hundreds of hours of a total restoration to V8 Supercar standards, was battered and bruised.

Initially it had been hoped that the car could be repaired to continue the final day of Targa tomorrow from Burnie to Hobart, however a closer inspection by his support crew revealed that the front right hand steering and suspension were too badly damaged for a safe repair in time.

The accident occurred 25.7km into the 37.7km Cethana stage south west of Sheffield in Tasmania’s North West as Bana was travelling downhill through a series of right bends.

“We had been having a great day until then,” Bana said.

“We were still being cautious but we had found a fairly comfortable rhythm and were really starting to enjoy ourselves as we got used to the car.”

“But I misjudged a tight left hander and we went in a little too fast – the car understeered off the road and got onto the gravel and we went into a couple of trees at a fairly low speed.

“The car is a little battered which is a real shame, as many hours had been spent re-shaping its original panels to get it just right.”

“However the real problem is that wed damaged the front right hand steering and suspension and the steering is broken.”

“It’s a real shame, but that’s motor racing.”

: : :jab:
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #96
Rollin
Banned

Q: What do tennis, football, soccer, ice hockey and cricket have in common, that they don't share with motorsport?

A: You only need 1 ball to play.

So sad to hear the car copped a hit :( at least he has the cash to fix it. I wouldn't mind lending a hand reparing it and attempting to sort the suspension for him
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #97
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember when Banner played Poider in Full Frontal? I remember an episode where Mark Skaife took him for a spin ( I think round Phillip Island). They get outta the car and Skaife asks "so waddya reckon?" Poider goes, "it was **** mate getta Falcon if ya really wanna tear up the track." Poider walks off, comes back with his trusty old 6 cyl. Falcon drops a few huge doghnuts arm out window with a stubby and a ciggie in his mouth. "This is how it's done Skaifey, this is a real car!". Naturally Skaifey was spewin..
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #98
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboz
Remember when Banner played Poider in Full Frontal? I remember an episode where Mark Skaife took him for a spin ( I think round Phillip Island). They get outta the car and Skaife asks "so waddya reckon?" Poider goes, "it was **** mate getta Falcon if ya really wanna tear up the track." Poider walks off, comes back with his trusty old 6 cyl. Falcon drops a few huge doghnuts arm out window with a stubby and a ciggie in his mouth. "This is how it's done Skaifey, this is a real car!". Naturally Skaifey was spewin..
That wasn't skaifey...it was a very young baby faced lowndsey....its a ripper...its on you tube.

Poida asks the then 'red lion' lowndsey if the would ever drive for Ford.

I don't know about that says lowndsey...it would have to be a very good offer.....

Priceless....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #99
XA_GT351
Supreme Machine!

Here--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cplj5QAlnZA

1960 FB Holden Wagon, Yellow, 192, 4spd,

My XA Build-Up
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=10&pp=25
XA_GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #100
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

The other day Eric was on 3AW talking to Neil Mitchell and he kind of hinted that the XB was pretty stuffed and that he wasn't really in a rush to get it fixed.
Top bloke, Top car!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 08:58 PM   #101
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

LMAO at POITER, what a ****er, wow... 17 inch rims! lol
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #102
XA_GT351
Supreme Machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
The other day Eric was on 3AW talking to Neil Mitchell and he kind of hinted that the XB was pretty stuffed and that he wasn't really in a rush to get it fixed.
Top bloke, Top car!
It's a shame.. she looked pretty hammered from images i saw, right hand rails bent, rear quarter was all munched behind the rear wheel, i would emagine them quarters would be near impossible to source.

1960 FB Holden Wagon, Yellow, 192, 4spd,

My XA Build-Up
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...&page=10&pp=25
XA_GT351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post