Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-04-2007, 03:13 AM   #31
brmckinless

Keep with the known big companies, I did my course through Ch*bb. You will find that most of them run their own accredited course(s) with various levels of Certificate that is recognised by the local State authorities.

The other thing about the big companies, they have a high turnover, and although they will not guarantee you a job on completion, if you are any good they'll tap you on the shoulder, there is as much work out there that you can take, but you have to get that course under your belt.

MHO, keep to the foot/static stuff, mobile sucks and doesn't pay that much more.
Old 25-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #32
ler

I looked on chubb's website I got the impression they wanted you to have your licence before they employ you.

Also Ive seen martial arts questions do they really care? How much do you BS on that. Ive done some kickboxing but that is about all.

Is mobile where you drive round to schools,etc. and put a tag on some doors and say you've checked? Or driving round to atms and collecting cash?
Old 25-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #33
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

I'm not sure how it is now, but when I done my license it was a 2 day course for around $600, now its a 2 week course for about 1200.

If you can, try to get into patrol work (checking businesses, alarm responces etc) I love it, 10hr shifts, 4 days week. I also do bouncer/club work once a fortnight, but it isnt too bad as long as you can talk to people.

A lot of new guards think that by being able to fight they can do club work, in reality i'd rather someone who doesn't know how to fight, but can talk a situation under control, rather then 5 big brawny guys who are there to fight.

Also the baton/handcuff is a seperate 1 day course, once you get your license talk to the person you've done it through and ask when they are holding one, or if they know someone who is. I think mine was $150 for a day course and at the end of it I was able to carry my gear.

Anywho, i'm off to control the drunks playing two-up, atleast its public holiday rates.
Old 25-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #34
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner
I looked on chubb's website I got the impression they wanted you to have your licence before they employ you.

Also Ive seen martial arts questions do they really care? How much do you BS on that. Ive done some kickboxing but that is about all.

Is mobile where you drive round to schools,etc. and put a tag on some doors and say you've checked? Or driving round to atms and collecting cash?
1. Yes they will want you to have a licence before they emply you.
2. Martial Arts is of little relevance to a company like Chubb, they will employ anyone and they don't do any door work anyway which is where you would most often need it. Ofcourse it is handy to be able to look after yourself in any role though.
3.Mobiles is running around after alarms & checking doors etc etc. Static is being stuck in one spot. Cash is working with $$ and Concierge is working on the reception desk of a building and being generally helpful.
Old 26-04-2007, 02:13 PM   #35
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Did you know that some Security Officers carry firearms? Obviously not, it seems Flappist knows the area in question.
Actually yeh Im well aware of that.

So of what types of work listed by lerner...

Quote:
Im mainly looking at lower level stuff like security at toll booths, unis,shopping centres,etc
required guns?

Lets play spot the gun freaks in this thread huh.

The most intelligent posts have been from 84RGE and even he is questioning what is with all the gun q's.

Good luck with it anyway lerner.
Old 27-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #36
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
Well I start my course in may .. 2 weeks full time then I'm on probation for the next 12 mths .. in that 12 mths I have to work with a level 3 if I do clubs/bars
Be sure to keep an eye out for a Lerner looking for a gun shop and having trouble with stop signs and roundabouts
Old 27-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #37
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Actually yeh Im well aware of that.

So of what types of work listed by lerner...

required guns?

Lets play spot the gun freaks in this thread huh.

The most intelligent posts have been from 84RGE and even he is questioning what is with all the gun q's.

Good luck with it anyway lerner.
While we are at lets play "Who is the least knowlegeable antigun nut" too.

The original question asked was about a security guard licence.
The most common question I was asked by people who were interested in becoming guards was what sort of gun they required. Remember I actually used to do this for a living. I used to supply gear to security and police (extra mags, leather etc)
I was also often asked by people who had just aquired a security licence what they needed to do to buy a gun as they were incorrectly led to believe they could by the dodgy instructor they used. Not all of them were interested in firearms but most were.

Therefore, just in case lerner was not aware of the law, I tagged it on the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
N.B. This does not allow you to own gun or whatever.
That was all.

In order to work in security in QLD you need a licence. In order to get a licence you must, among other things, pass a security training course. This course, by LAW contains training on the use and legailties of handguns and shotguns. You must show proficence with them and be re-tested on a regular basis to retain the licence. This is also the LAW.

Even 84RGE had to do it and he has stated, quite rightly, that it is mostly not necessary in the actual day to day working. Like learning advanced maths at school, pretty usesless unless you need it for a particular purpose.

Then of course an antigun nut with no actual knowlege of anything spots the "G" word and blurts out his dogma yet again. You have added no actual information to this thread other than your position on firearm ownership and a suspect that very few really care about that anyway.
Old 27-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #38
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The original question asked was about a security guard licence.
Indeed it was. An ENTRY/LOWER level (as stated by lerner to begin with) type licence for very basic work.

Quote:
The most common question I was asked by people who were interested in becoming guards was what sort of gun they required.
Yeh but you WERENT asked that here.

So why would you bounce into this rhetoric.....
Quote:
First aquire a belt fed weapon, ANM2HB would be good although a little heavy to lug around. F89 SAW will be ok.
Tactical clothing including trauma plates are mandatory as well as MOPP4 gear will be useful as...yadda yadda yadda......
....straight off that basic question from lerner?

Yet you challenge the validity of input from others after you post a tirade like that.

I didnt just spot the 'g word' as you put it flappist - I spotted something worse. A gun freak delving into their quite obviously fantastical world, with talk of lugging around belt fed weapons, suggesting other weapons due to weight etc, etc. Quite disturbing really. Certainly not satirical as I believe you will claim.

Quote:
In order to work in security in QLD you need a licence. In order to get a licence you must, among other things, pass a security training course. This course, by LAW contains training on the use and legailties of handguns and shotguns. You must show proficence with them and be re-tested on a regular basis to retain the licence. This is also the LAW.
As far as such an 'antigun nut with no knowledge of anything' can find is that your basic level 1 course of security training doesnt touch anything to do with guns. As you step into higher gradings yes indeed but again in the context of the query the guy was looking at basic, entry level security work.

Quote:
You have added no actual information to this thread other than your position on firearm ownership.
I would suggest flappist you are guilty of the exact same thing..........and we will exist on opposite ends of the spectrum of firearm ownership.

Lerner and others - apologies for taking this so far off topic. Im expecting some sort of backlash and if this means the end of my time at fordforums so be it.
Old 27-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #39
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
Not exactly how the QLD licence system works. here you get your licence and thats it, off you go.
Same in the ACT/NSW. I did my course, got my license and away I went.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Old 27-04-2007, 03:13 PM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Indeed it was. An ENTRY/LOWER level (as stated by lerner to begin with) type licence for very basic work.

Yeh but you WERENT asked that here.

So why would you bounce into this rhetoric.........straight off that basic question from lerner?

Yet you challenge the validity of input from others after you post a tirade like that.

I didnt just spot the 'g word' as you put it flappist - I spotted something worse. A gun freak delving into their quite obviously fantastical world, with talk of lugging around belt fed weapons, suggesting other weapons due to weight etc, etc. Quite disturbing really. Certainly not satirical as I believe you will claim.

As far as such an 'antigun nut with no knowledge of anything' can find is that your basic level 1 course of security training doesnt touch anything to do with guns. As you step into higher gradings yes indeed but again in the context of the query the guy was looking at basic, entry level security work.

I would suggest flappist you are guilty of the exact same thing..........and we will exist on opposite ends of the spectrum of firearm ownership.

Lerner and others - apologies for taking this so far off topic. Im expecting some sort of backlash and if this means the end of my time at fordforums so be it.
Yeh whatever.
You have added nothing to the thread just attacked me for giving info.

Please put me on your ignore list, I have no interest in you reading anything I write in the future.

Last edited by flappist; 27-04-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 27-04-2007, 03:16 PM   #41
ler

i know more about guns than cars probably. Guns are a tool they arent very interesting imo. Ive shot guns and stuff. btw is there rules if you are in a shopping centre about to empty an atm can you walk in to woolworths and buy some lunch first with your gun strapped to you? or is that the example the person was talking about the regulations that you cant take your guns into certain places.

With the 3 references needed to apply for a security officer licence, do you think they will care if the references are very similar? Like to save my friends time I will write the reference for them and then they can sign it for me. That Im honest,respectful,mature,etc.

Last edited by lerner; 27-04-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 27-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #42
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
btw is there rules if you are in a shopping centre about to empty an atm can you walk in to woolworths and buy some lunch first with your gun strapped to you? or is that the example the person was talking about the regulations that you cant take your guns into certain places.
Yes thats basically what i meant, i was working by myself, so no ATM's and i had a little car, just pubs and things like that, small corner shops and resturaunts, but for lunch i either packed it or i was restricte to hungry jacks drive through

One other thing i think Flappist forgot to say is that there is in fact TWO courses for security, first you must complete the normal security guard / Crowd Controller course which is about 2 weeks long then if you want a weapons licence you must complete a SECOND two week course to learn the ins and outs. best bet mate, do the first course, then ask your instructor any further questions you have, he will be able to help you more then anyone else here.
Old 27-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #43
ler

what's the pay like? like minimum, average,etc. , how long for a raise,etc.?
Old 27-04-2007, 07:27 PM   #44
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
'ang about... you dont even have a drivers license yet and already you want a raise?
Old 27-04-2007, 11:11 PM   #45
HLC
Audi S3

i work at a shooting range and we do weapons training for security guards...

some of these blokes that come through wouldnt have a brain between em. yet they can carry a gun. really makes ya wonder.
Old 28-04-2007, 01:56 AM   #46
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
It varys depending on what you are doing, 13-15 a hour for the no-brainer stuff (Shopping Centres) to 17-23 a hour for Crowd Control (Obviously youll be in the rougher clubs to get more money) and up to 50 a hour for Bodyguard work (dont expect to get that for many years, or to have much of a life either)

The coppers have so many negligant discharges a week its not funny, so many of them shouldnt be carrying a weapon, dont just narrow it down to security!
Old 28-04-2007, 08:42 AM   #47
ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
'ang about... you dont even have a drivers license yet and already you want a raise?
I meant like in some jobs you automatically get raises I was wondering if this was the case. So i suppose at 13-15 an hour the money is to be made working 50 hour weeks not from the hourly rate? What about penalty rates do they appply?
Old 28-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #48
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
Don't confude nightclub bouncers with professional security officers.

As far as the rest is concerned you may find it necessary to gain at least a senior first aid certificate, I know I had to.
So you can do first aid on the guy after his head hits the footpath?, great
Old 28-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #49
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
So you can do first aid on the guy after his head hits the footpath?, great
Everyone should learn first aid. You never know when a cute blonde will need mouth to mouth
Old 29-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #50
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

One thing, guards who have a QLD SG-3 (firearms/restraint gear etc licence) have to be very aware of is to a criminal your weapon is a possible easy score, so if you have one you will need to be fully alert every moment you carry them and well trained to defend yourself and the weapons from some nutter trying to steal it from you, and more than likely do you some harm too. For $25 an hour, it's not worth it.

Take the advise of a nearly 20 year security veteran, just do the normal Cert 2 course, that gives you all the normal work besides weapon stuff. There are a heap of accredited places doing the courses, and at the end you get your certificate and all the paperwork from fair trading to get the licence. Fair Trading get criminal checks done via the police, so if you have a record or are known to the police re violence, you may not get one.
Another word of advice is stick to static guard type work, patrol work can be a total pain especially with some companies you end up working for, and stick well clear of crowd controlling work.
This covers what you refer to as bouncing. Stick away from alcahol related jobs as with RSA (Responsable Serving of Alcahol) there is a truckload of owness on you. And if you get it wrong, YOU can also get hefty fines. Remember you are dealing with drunken people who need to be treated in a very special way.
Crowd Control wise, concerts can get pretty out of control, imagine a big day out event with say 30 guards and 10's of thousands of people. Crowd control work for example is doing Taxi ranks, and you never want to get saddled into that work, doing a car show where you need to monitor a bar or smoking areas etc etc.

Someone above also said it, start looking for a place to work for too. Tunns of people do the courses only to look like heroes, but also a lot do it to work as well. Choose who you work for VERY carefully as there are plenty of trapps and pitfalls out there, and the bigger the firm does not nescessarily mean the better, most good guards work for the smaller companies where they are treated like people, not numbers on a punch card. Get an ABN number if you dont have one, as a lot of the industry is done on Sub-Contract work too.
If you want any more info or advise, PM me.

Roo.
Old 23-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #51
ler

I have a driver's licence now(automatic) so i couldnt drive any security cars that were in manual.

Are they strict on what you can where to work? Because if I was standing in the shopping centre carpark in the sun i would want to wear a hat as well. Also carry a big jug of water which i would drop as soon as i had to chase someone.
Old 23-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #52
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

depends where you are, its' only $100-ish fine if you get caught, no points. in vic..

but if you're fussy, just pay the $60odd to resit your manual license (no need to do computer test again).
Old 23-05-2007, 09:52 PM   #53
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are kidding aren't we ppl...this thread is still alive????????

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 23-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #54
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
depends where you are, its' only $100-ish fine if you get caught, no points. in vic..

but if you're fussy, just pay the $60odd to resit your manual license (no need to do computer test again).
I'm watching you!!...soon to be offended..hehehe

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 24-05-2007, 12:00 AM   #55
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ler
I have a driver's licence now(automatic)
Lord have mercy on us all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ler
so i couldnt drive any security cars that were in manual.
99% are manual, go find another career.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ler
Are they strict on what you can where to work? Because if I was standing in the shopping centre carpark in the sun i would want to wear a hat as well.
This is Australia, you can wear whatever the hell you want to wear. A hat will be fine so long as it's the one with the company logo on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ler
Also carry a big jug of water which i would drop as soon as i had to chase someone.
Oh dear....
Old 24-05-2007, 11:04 AM   #56
ler

Are they strict on your toilet breaks? This is a problem for me as I usually go once an hour or something like that.
Old 24-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #57
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ler
Are they strict on your toilet breaks? This is a problem for me as I usually go once an hour or something like that.
You ARE taking the P1SS out of us aren't you mate??
: : :
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 24-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #58
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Enough is enough..

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Closed Thread