Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-05-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Default why is everything so quite lately?

Hey guys, I just want to know what your opinions are on the economy lately.
In my industry (transport) it seems to have really dropped off in the last 5 weeks, to the point where i am still sitting at home at 10am because we have NO WORK. And if we are quite, it usually means Everyone else is. We are thinking about buying more trucks and putting more drivers on, but i think we will have to wait and see now.
I am just lucky i had saved some coin for my project cars, its been handy paying the bills but this only means my street machines wont be built any sooner than i hoped!!

What industry are you in, and have you noticed the last 2 years have been VERY different from the previous (busy) years? What do you predict the future will bring for our economy, are we going to see more and more Australian company's get swallowed up by all the importers, see more people lose business from bigger company's under cutting smaller business's?

/rant

sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Holy Crap..... I wish it was quiet.

I'm in the Logistics Industry for a major building supply co.. Bricks, Tiles, Concrete, Plasterboard, Windows, Quarry Products...

So far this year we have set a new volume record every month.

Our concret agi drivers are starting most day at 6am till 5 to 6pm..Mon to Sat.

Our business is booming...EASTLink project is working my fingers to the bone.

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #3
anakha

Perhaps a slowdown in the automotive manufacturing sector down Vic way is having a flow on effect?
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

We're still pretty busy. I'm in the earthmoving products/attachment industry. The year started off quiet but got better, a lot of major projects on the go around Melbourne at the moment. Not as full on as it was early last year, late 2005 though. We had 8 week lead times in the factory (normally 3-5). But the company has expanded considerably in the past few years so overall there is more work.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
sfr rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecker73
Holy Crap..... I wish it was quiet.

I'm in the Logistics Industry for a major building supply co.. Bricks, Tiles, Concrete, Plasterboard, Windows, Quarry Products...

So far this year we have set a new volume record every month.

Our concret agi drivers are starting most day at 6am till 5 to 6pm..Mon to Sat.

Our business is booming...EASTLink project is working my fingers to the bone.
interesting!
I bet once the work dries up with Eastlink there will be plenty of people left with nothing to do hey?
Old 14-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The old man is a self contractor and is doing logistic hauls (local work) and the work is out there. I believe its mainly retail stuff but he can do 12-14 hour days with plenty of money to be made.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
Hey guys, I just want to know what your opinions are on the economy lately.
In my industry (transport) it seems to have really dropped off in the last 5 weeks, to the point where i am still sitting at home at 10am because we have NO WORK. And if we are quite, it usually means Everyone else is. We are thinking about buying more trucks and putting more drivers on, but i think we will have to wait and see now.
I am just lucky i had saved some coin for my project cars, its been handy paying the bills but this only means my street machines wont be built any sooner than i hoped!!

What industry are you in, and have you noticed the last 2 years have been VERY different from the previous (busy) years? What do you predict the future will bring for our economy, are we going to see more and more Australian company's get swallowed up by all the importers, see more people lose business from bigger company's under cutting smaller business's?

/rant
Historically when an election is imminent it usually becomes a little quiter
Just consider how you vote when the time comes and if you want even less work then vote for the opposition
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
sfr rob

haha, i usually vote for Donald Duck, this year i might vote for Daffy Duck.

I hope it is really all to do with the election, it should get rather busy ramping up to the end of the year, thats usually when we rake it in, but times like now it gets hairy!!!
Old 14-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i dont even know why you even put this topic up. , cause all the uni students here well tell you you are an idiot . cause johny howard is the priminister , and he is god . we have never had it baetter . dont you know that .
there is that much part time work going on at KFC and Mcdonalds now, it's not funny, you can even wear a white collar if you wish, THE ECONOMY IS BOOMING .
even better if you work really hard and stay back sometimes for nothing , you wont get the sack . heaps of people start bludging a lot too, normally when they turn19 or 20, so they get the chop for not working hard , which creates new jobs all the time .
your an idiot dude . your just not working hard enough . make sure you vote the currant government back in . OTHERWISE THE SKY WILL FALL DOWN .
Opinions and debate are encouraged
Personal attacks are not and are childish!
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 02:56 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXR8BLOKE
Opinions and debate are encouraged
Personal attacks are not and are childish!
it was not meant to be a personal attack . just a bit of sarcasm . i didn't turn this thread political . but the right wing johny howard followers cant help themselves . a couple of threads before mine the post went off topic . these threads normally close down. and most people who argue here get ridiculed by the liberal extremists here . so i'm glad they do get closed down BRING IT ON . laminge "help"!!!!! or casper .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #11
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

My dad is in the transport industry and cant say he has noticed any downturn in business in the past 5 weeks or for a extended period of time over the past 5 years or longer. Business has grown on average over 15% per year for the past 5 years without even trying.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #12
Vdouw
Proud Ford Owner

I am a chippy and i have more work than i can poke a stick at and the building boom is over ... suposedly.
Vdouw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
dan.76
always reading posts

i have that much work on i am turning down government contracts
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im in the meat industry, and in the last couple of weeks since after easter, things have been a bit quiet. Eat more meat people!!!
Old 14-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #15
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Im in the meat industry, and in the last couple of weeks since after easter, things have been a bit quiet. Eat more meat people!!!
Im doing my best you pushy bugger.

and yes it sometimes does go quiet in certain sectors of the economy when an election is looming.

As to Atecs thoughtless fear mongering, leave it out. You arent convincing anyone of anything as most people are already very set in their views, and those that arent are called democrats voters.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #16
sfr rob

LOL @ sourbastard.. gee wizz.
Yeah GTFPV, i know you were pullin me leg, shes right!

I have friends who are chippies and they are FLAT OUT as well. I just find it strange that our (transport) industry is so quite lately, I guess it depends where you fish really hey?

anyway, I didnt want to start arguments, just wanted to see what others thought of the economy etc, and if it really was just me, seems it is!
Old 14-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #17
congo3sr

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i dont even know why you even put this topic up. , cause all the uni students here well tell you you are an idiot . cause johny howard is the priminister , and he is god . we have never had it baetter . dont you know that .
there is that much part time work going on at KFC and Mcdonalds now, it's not funny, you can even wear a white collar if you wish, THE ECONOMY IS BOOMING .
even better if you work really hard and stay back sometimes for nothing , you wont get the sack . heaps of people start bludging a lot too, normally when they turn19 or 20, so they get the chop for not working hard , which creates new jobs all the time .
your an idiot dude . your just not working hard enough . make sure you vote the currant government back in . OTHERWISE THE SKY WILL FALL DOWN .
:
what a ****er well said that man :
congo3sr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

Maccas has been picking up over the last few months.

after the m7 opened, it cut our business (eastbound on the m4) considerably.

but its been picking up as of late.

we are now 24hr, and its real dead between midnight and 4am.
Old 14-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #19
EDXR65SPEED

I am in the Auto repair industry, it was VERY quiet a few months ago, then it picked up again, but has now gone quiet.
Pretty scary really.
EDXR65SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #20
slo351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

auto repair industry is flat out in adelaide. our work is booked up atleast a month in advance..
slo351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 08:19 PM   #21
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im a boilermaker and work has never been busier. Im getting good money now working in a Fabrication workshop 15 minutes from home as to where i was getting less working bush 4 years ago. Its even gotten to the stage where other companies are trying to poach other Boilys.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #22
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Yep, where I work is short on boilermakers (see my post above). Can never get the good ones 'cause the big wigs won't pay enough, and that's if we can get any at all. Retention can be hard sometimes too.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #23
capriv8

Every quarter is a record for our glass and glazing business and it does not look like slowing down, I have no idea where all the money has come from but people are spending big time.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 11:51 PM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm getting busier. Work at a drycleaners and every month is better than last period the year before since my current boss took over. Plus it is nearing our peak season now. More work = more hours = more money.

Making a fair bit of money now so hopefully can mod the WRX soon and have enough for a holiday next year.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 12:04 AM   #25
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I'm in radio, and it is very busy atm, but that is more internal than anything...
Dad's business is booming, and apparently the housing boom is over? not here it isnt...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #26
XzLr8
Banned

in the tech sales industrie down at d.f.o and i dont think we're quiet at all i mean the figures are almost double to what they were last year so im assuming business is still booming. Spose you just gotta be in the right trade, suddenly contracted hours is a good thing :P
XzLr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #27
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

I am in the busness of selling luxury goods. The last 3 months have been the worst 3 months in the last 3 years. For me and many others in my industries the last 2 years have been very poor and average.

At the moment i am quiet.

But in all honesty, without being flamed, after speaking to many in my industry (buyers/supplier/distributors) we all agree that regarding the upcoming federal election, a change in party leadership will be bad for spending. We are worried if the Liberals are out and Labour is in. Thats just my industries collective ideas.....please dont go feral on me because of it.
Old 15-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #28
falzoony
Rockin '67

well im in year 12 and its flat-out!!! but when im not at school im a brick paver. its a family buisness and we have also noticed that everything residential is slowing down, but the commercial work isnt too bad.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post