Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 21-04-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Default Drag Racing Tips

I am green as green and just started taking the odd Ford down the quarter mile and thus far with little success. I feel most of my problems are with launching. Just wondering if some of the experienced drivers here can give me some tips for both auto and manual cars, N/A and forced induction (Turbo), as I have opportunities to drive them all.

Old 21-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #2
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

I recently took my car to the track as well, I will cut and paste a post that Rollin made when I asked this same question (for a manual car) it's spot on and helped me to get a 2.0 60' time and it was my first time racing! I think I could improve on that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
Recipe for good 60ft times, according to Rollin

1: half decent tyres - those 235s should be ok.

2: Drop the pressures to about 25psi in the back, any lower and the center of the tyre doesn't contact the track and you loose contact patch. Pressures up to 40 at the front.

3: under 1/4 tank of good fuel

4: drive up to the water trough, stop with the back tyres nearly out of it.

5: out with the clutch and on the brakes, LOTS of rpm. Crawl forewards at walking pace and REALLY turn the tyres, for about a carlength or more, make sure you are well out of the water that other cars have pushed up onto the track, and really grinding that lovely VHT prepared surface into your tyres.

6: stop a little way from the start line and bring the revs up, and do one or two 'mini launches' to get a feel for how much grip the track has - it should be a fair bit if you have done a proper burnout and the track isn't wet.

7: stage as shallow as possible - crawl forewards and AS SOON as the second light comes on, stop.

8: bring the revs up - generally you will be able to use twice as many as on the street - I when my car was N/A I was near-dumping the clutch at 3500 and doing 1.9 60s, no traction problems on street tyres.

9: on the last yellow, let the clutch out hard as you smash the throttle to the floor. If you get it right the car shouldn't wheelspin or bog down much, just take off like a cat with a boot up its butt. (the nose of the diff might hit the floorpan if you are lucky)

10: don't lift very much on the 1-2 shift, pay a lot of attention to the 2-3, and flat shift 3-4.

The exact intricacies of step 9 depends on each car - Start at 3000rpm and let the clutch out quickly, if the car bogs, use more revs nect time, if you get wheelspin, let the clutch out a little slower, etc.

OED - you are soft! MORE REVS ON THE LAUNCH!
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I am green as green and just started taking the odd Ford down the quarter mile and thus far with little success. I feel most of my problems are with launching. Just wondering if some of the experienced drivers here can give me some tips for both auto and manual cars, N/A and forced induction (Turbo), as I have opportunities to drive them all.
In the BA's Redrum the best people to speak to is Chris and Craig (you know who Im taliking about). But people can tell you everything under the sun but the end of the day its up to you to learn the feel to achieve good launchs, especially in a manual. Practice man practice!!
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
debacle-racing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

spot on wade,
track time will cure all problems, practice, practice, practice.
and keep it fun.
cheers, justin.
debacle-racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
In the BA's Redrum the best people to speak to is Chris and Craig (you know who Im taliking about). But people can tell you everything under the sun but the end of the day its up to you to learn the feel to achieve good launchs, especially in a manual. Practice man practice!!
I am so wanting to practice, but my wheels still awaiting new clutch and work cars I get very limited access. I have this bug to drag race and get it all right!!

Needforspeed, thanks for post, I will give that a go next time I launch my manual.
Old 22-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #6
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Jase, your new Textralia clutch will be different from anything else you've ever experienced from a clutch, especially in a drag racing situation.

These clutches are designed to be ridden or slipped from the startline, no more drop the clutch and off you go, this helps performance and preserves the rest of your driveline.

The key to running quick ET's is in the first 60 - 300 feet, once you have this area sorted the rest is easy.

As someone said practise practise, people say drag racing is easy, well it is if you drive an auto......LOL.....

Look forward to playing teacher when we go out with your car.

Cheers Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post