Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Changing NSW rego to Vic

Quick question i'm hoping someone has tackled before.

My parents have come down from NSW. They are leaving at the end of the week to go to Thailand to live. They have current NSW licenses, and their car is registered in NSW. I'm going to sell it for them after they leave.

I asked them to change the rego to vic rego to make it easier for me to sell. Is there any way of transferring the current rego from NSW to VIC, or to we have to cancel the NSW rego and re register it in VIC?

Other thing, if we have to cancel the NSW, do we then have to get a RWC and have the car inspected at Vicroads the same as if i'd just bought an unregistered car?

Because the next problem is, you cant register a car in your name in vic without a vic license yeah? So they'd have to change their licenses over first would they not?

Selling with no rego is looking better by the day!

Any info would br great thanks.

Cheers
Ben

schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 12:48 AM   #2
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Youll end up selling it with no rego.

1. To transfer the rego from one state to another you will need a RWC AND pay all the fees and stamp duty.

2. You CAN register a var in Vic with an interstate licence. People do move around.

I recently bought a car from NSW with a few months rego, i figure its easier to just drive around till it runs out then do the transfer.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

yep new RWC required from my knowledge.

also, you don't neven need a learners permit to register a car in Victoria ironically. Anyone can do it!

Give Vicroads a call tomorrow and they'll sort answer the questions you have.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

you don't need a license in vic to register a car, you just have to be atleast 17 years old.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
Hally

I have just been through this process, and this is my experience:

1. Change of licence, NSW to VIC, was just a form and a photo, no charge, Victoria used the same expiry date as the old NSW date.

2. Transfer of rego - I waited to do this a few days before the NSW ran out and all I did was rock up to Vicroads with the old rego papers and number plates, paid a full 12 months rego. No RWC was required. It is my understanding that you can get a refund on the balance of NSW rego when you transfer.

Cheers,

Andrew
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
I'm going to sell it for them after they leave.
Way to go Ben. After they've gone you can tell them you could only get $20 for it and you used that for the taxi home from the buyers house!