Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Default 84 BMW E30 318i - anyone had one?

Hi All,

I know this is a FORD forum but hey, someone must've had one at one stage!

Came across an immaculate 1984 E30 BMW 318i today. Manual, with RWC & long reg, for peanuts.

I'm looking for a temporary daily driver and either myself or my brother will definitely be buying the car. We know the owner and he leant my dad the car for a week to see if we like it!

Has anyone owned one of these or had any experience with them? Overall condition was great and it drives really well, but I'm just a bit concerned about the cost of maintenance & parts on an old Euro!

Thanks,

Justin.

private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

couldnt comment but they are awesome cars the E30's.. my mate had a red 318 4 door, dumped it on its ***, 17's(look big on the E30's) remus exhaust.. it looked awesome
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
couldnt comment but they are awesome cars the E30's.. my mate had a red 318 4 door, dumped it on its ***, 17's(look big on the E30's) remus exhaust.. it looked awesome
Thanks, I don't mind the look of them either! Not too concerned about the looks, it's really only a temporary daily and then I'll probably chuck it at one of my siblings (I've got a few nearing 18!)
Old 25-03-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

an old G/F had one many years ago, was a manual totally gutless although they loved to rev hard BUT was great for kicking HSV **** on winding roads.
parts are a killer
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc
an old G/F had one many years ago, was a manual totally gutless although they loved to rev hard BUT was great for kicking HSV **** on winding roads.
parts are a killer
Yeah, certainly was gutless, but handled quite well. Do you remember if it was reliable? Any memory of exactly how bad parts were?

Thanks,

Justin.
Old 25-03-2007, 11:27 PM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my friends was reliable.. or atleast i never heard it broke down or anything.. although he was a mechanic apprentice at pennant hills BMW
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it was 100% reliable,could flog my mates new HSV and anothers 308 Torana on certain winding roads. Parts wise cant remember exactly but I was used to buying Ryco Z9's ect and couldnt belive the price of regular service items.
Give a few spare parts places a call and get prices on filters plugs ect.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
my friends was reliable.. or atleast i never heard it broke down or anything.. although he was a mechanic apprentice at pennant hills BMW
He he, sounds like he had a bit of an advantage being a BMW mechanic!
Old 25-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc
it was 100% reliable,could flog my mates new HSV and anothers 308 Torana on certain winding roads. Parts wise cant remember exactly but I was used to buying Ryco Z9's ect and couldnt belive the price of regular service items.
Give a few spare parts places a call and get prices on filters plugs ect.
Will do, thanks mate!
Old 26-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I had one as a first car when I was 15, my only complaint was that it was too slow, managed to get about 6.5l/100km out of it though. Parts in NZ are everywhere and cheap (dunno about Aussie). Not much to go wrong with em tho, they are very reliable and **** easy to work on if they do bugger up.
The biggest thing to look out for is rust in the fire wall, under the battery and by the rear strut towers/wheels arches/under the boot trim. Mechanicals are all good usually.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Yeah I had one as a first car when I was 15, my only complaint was that it was too slow, managed to get about 6.5l/100km out of it though. Parts in NZ are everywhere and cheap (dunno about Aussie). Not much to go wrong with em tho, they are very reliable and **** easy to work on if they do bugger up.
The biggest thing to look out for is rust in the fire wall, under the battery and by the rear strut towers/wheels arches/under the boot trim. Mechanicals are all good usually.
Thanks for that! Not a spec of rust anywhere, all original panels and paint. It was a very original unmolested car. Only thing I could criticise about the condition was the air con needed a regas and there was a bit of an oil leak.