Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Swaytan
Swaytan

Default Nitrogen in Tyres

Hey all,

Just went & had a wheel alignment done & a wheel rotation. They pumped the tyres with nitrogen.

Anyone done this before?

Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #2
scotty3d
Starter Motor

Yes, I've had that before on my Mini Cooper when I had one couple of years back. Did they give you the red valve caps too ? I loved those.

Last edited by scotty3d; 21-02-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: missing word
scotty3d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Howd the wheel alignment go? Any issues?
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 10:50 PM   #4
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaytan
Hey all,

Just went & had a wheel alignment done & a wheel rotation. They pumped the tyres with nitrogen.

Anyone done this before?
Never had Nitrogen put in, usually costs a bit more than plain old air, supposed to stop the tyres from going down so quickly I think?........holds the pressure better and more evenly across the tyre, is that right?
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

its LAUGHABLE, just a scam to get more dollars out of ya.
Firstly unless your a V8 supercar driver hitting over 200km most of the time, you'll not see one once of difference in handling or braking under extreme conditions. Secondly it doesn't improve the life of the tyre by penertating the rubber (thats just plain silly) or the stuff would leak straight out. Thirdly it won't get you any more life out of your tyres then running them at the correct pressure as recommended by the TYRE manufacture, not the vehicle manufacture. Fourthly, the air we breath is 70 odd percent nitrogen anyhow (22 % oxygen and a mixture of a few others) and when they pump your tyres up they don't pull a vacumm after the tyre is beaded up on the rim, before they do the nitrogen fill and therefore can't gurantee a 100% nitrogen anyway. And lastly, every tyre shop and every servo would have it' if wasn't just a money making scam. :

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab

Last edited by Bundy; 21-02-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...light=Nitrogen
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 07:29 AM   #7
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty3d
Yes, I've had that before on my Mini Cooper when I had one couple of years back. Did they give you the red valve caps too ? I loved those.
Nope, neon green ones, which matches my modded Ford logo & Fusion decal!
Old 22-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Howd the wheel alignment go? Any issues?
No issues other than the fact that I was really due for one...
Old 22-02-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybloke
Firstly unless your a V8 supercar driver hitting over 200km most of the time, you'll not see one once of difference in handling or braking under extreme conditions. Secondly it doesn't improve the life of the tyre by penertating the rubber (thats just plain silly) or the stuff would leak straight out. Thirdly it won't get you any more life out of your tyres then running them at the correct pressure as recommended by the TYRE manufacture, not the vehicle manufacture. Fourthly, the air we breath is 70 odd percent nitrogen anyhow (22 % oxygen and a mixture of a few others) and when they pump your tyres up they don't pull a vacumm after the tyre is beaded up on the rim, before they do the nitrogen fill and therefore can't gurantee a 100% nitrogen anyway. And lastly, every tyre shop and every servo would have it' if wasn't just a money making scam. :
Right, next time, plain old 100% air will be fine for me, thanks!
Old 22-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #10
Stepwah
Starter Motor

I agree is a scam. Everytime I go for tyres or alignments they always try and sell me the nitrogen. One time they used it without askin, I refused to pay as didn't want it.
Stepwah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 09:24 PM   #11
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

The best thing about Nitrogen is that it makes a lot of money for tyre shops. We have it in my shop if people really want it, I really can't try to sell people something I don't beleive in- as a result our nitrigen bottle has lasted over 2 years.
Some people swear by it, others swear at it.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #12
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
Some people swear by it, others swear at it.
Haha! that's a good quote.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #13
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybloke
I agree that they can't assure 100% nitrogen, however pumping pure nitrogen into a tyre will ensure more nitrogen content than using air. The more nitrogen in your tyres the less ambient temperature related pressure changes your tyres will be subjected to and hence a more stable pressure. It is a known fact that the correct pressure in a tyre will lead to better fuel economy, better tyre performance, better tyre life. The degree to which nitrogen will affect your tyres performance is debatable but without back to back systematic testing you can't really discredit the claims.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Alot of motorbike riders fall for this BS but I can see how it would draw them (particularly track day whores) more that car drivers.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post