Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #31
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandrsxr6
Read the John Daly Autobiography last Nov.

Very good book, very troubled man.
I have never read an autobiogaphy but I want to. Ive been trying to work out which one to start with as there are so many these days. As weird as it sounds, I would like to read the autobio of Oprah Winfrey - I have heard her life has been full on and she is an amazing person. I also would like to read some sportspeople's and some politicians' autobios as well - some of them would be very enlightening I think...

Must do that sometime soon, when I am over the "history phase"... (does anyone else go through phases with the sorts of things they like to read?)

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #32
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Just finished reading Stupid White Men by Michael Moore, not bad at all. I will have to do some research to make sure that his section on how Bush stole the election from Gore checks out, but if it is indeed true, fair dinkum, how different should the last 7 years have been?

Just started The New Ethnic Mobs, which so far has been fascinating.
Old 15-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #33
Miller
It's Millertime!

Just finished reading Clive Cussler's Dragon. I'm quite a fan of Clive Cussler's writings, but I do find that the story lines in his books can get a bit repetitive (sp?).
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #34
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
About to start The Art of war - sun tzu...

i read half of that and it sent my mind into spasms.....things like ethics and beliefs you become aware that your already do these things to a degree but you never really were aware the origin

great book....i put it down because i started going a bit mental from it haha
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #35
hambo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Into Matthew Reilly at the moment - top Aussie author. But I'll read just about anything - too lazy to go to the library though at the moment...
Abosultely love Mathew Reilly books, read every one I can get my hands on. Was a bit dissapointed with his latest one, Hover car racer, didnt grab me like the rest. Contest, Ice station and temple in particular.

For those into the whole fantasy / medieval genre, I recently read the riftwar saga by Raymond Feist, and the farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. Both highly recommended...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #36
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12

For those into the whole fantasy / medieval genre, I recently read the riftwar saga by Raymond Feist, and the farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. Both highly recommended...

another fantastic author and series....

there is so many sagas in that series....i think ive got about 14 books to date from him....and ive read them all at least 3 times each...love his stuff
Old 15-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #37
hambo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
another fantastic author and series....

there is so many sagas in that series....i think ive got about 14 books to date from him....and ive read them all at least 3 times each...love his stuff
Yeah Ive only read the first saga, but will read the rest. Have you read Robert Jordan's The Wheel of time series?
Old 15-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #38
gozza

No i haven't but if its anything like feist i will buy a book for sure
Old 15-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #39
hambo_12

I rate Jordan's first five books in the series better than any I have ever read, they are that good. I havent yet finished them, but there are thirteen books I think in the series, and he hasnt finished yet...
Old 15-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #40
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Must do that sometime soon, when I am over the "history phase"... (does anyone else go through phases with the sorts of things they like to read?)
Yeah, action phase, crime phase, classic phase ect, i really want to get into a history phase as I dont know much about history and would like to learn it.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #41
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Forced to read pathetic novels at high school totally removed any inkling I had to read fiction books. What is it with school curriculums and the pointless, pathetic & archaically dull novels chosen to provide to adolescent students? It would appear that the sole intention of the English curriculum is to ward people away from reading. By no means am I implying that all fiction books are rubbish, however at least providing one “non crap” novel for students during high school would be a good start.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #42
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Yeh I've heard Ice Station is really good but I'm yet to give it a read. Anyone into Stephen King? I also got to get around to reading Thomas Harris oneday, I rekon his books would be awesome.
Old 15-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #43
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
Robert G. Barrett books are awsome. I loved davo,s little something there was some talk about it becoming a movie. But having heard anything lately. And how cool is Les Norton what a life that guy has. Untill my mate put me on to these books I had never read a whole book from start to finish. If you like the good Australian way of life you will like these book with the right mix of humour, romance & punch ons. :jab:
and rooting ))
Old 15-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #44
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupdy do
"Roberts Ridge" (battle in Afganastan) is your standard black comedy featuring the US army such a shame that these guys died for a bunch of rag heads.
illistraights the fog of war

Good reads
Long tan-classic aussie vietnam battle 2500 vc take on a company of diggers (108 men)
Battle of coral- similar to long tan except they keep attcking the base each night the NVA ar brave bastards.
"Gallipoilli" -the new version is great: the turks thought 'B@rstard' was an aussie god
"Kokoda"- can't help but hate the japs after this one our ww2 guys saved our asses
"We were rats" Gallop lawson- will have you cursing like a ww2 digger
"Maverick" US cobra pilot in Nam classic
"Chicken hawk" Us Huey pilot in nam brave MoFo's
"five years to freedom" Nam POW book will have you cheering at the end
THE TRUTH IS STRAINGER THAN FICTION
Can you tell Im a war nut?
I read Chickenhawk a few years ago now, probably the best book on Vietnam from a chopper pilot's perspective, not easily forgotten!
cheers
Bill.
Old 15-02-2007, 07:35 PM   #45
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
I read Chickenhawk a few years ago now, probably the best book on Vietnam from a chopper pilot's perspective, not easily forgotten!
cheers
Bill.
If you liked chickenhawk you'd like "The 13th valley".or Battle cry by Leon Uris, also The Naked and the dead is another
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 07:37 PM   #46
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
There's a new Bob Barrett book out as well, haven't read it yet though
Regards,
Tote
The Telsa Legacy, just finished it last week, not about Les and not as good in my opinion as his other books (read them all)
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #47
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

AC/DC's new book, don't know the exact name, can't be bothered going to look at the cover. It's bloody good though, the first book I've read in about 16 years, no crap (unless you count parts catalogs and Mopar/Ford magazines). I got it for a Xmas gift from a cousin.

I never knew Angus was such a feisty young bugger....... :
Old 15-02-2007, 08:12 PM   #48
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

The Suspect - Michael Robotham

The Lincoln Lawyer
- Michael Connelly

I like all the Patricia Cornwell series.

And a good non-fiction, fairly short but powerful read is Let Me Go - Helga Schneider. It is a lady's story about her mother who left her when she was a young child to join the SS during WWII. She has not seen her mum for 30 years and it is only the second time since she was abandoned that she has met with her.

I love books. Have read so many that I forget the names of the good ones I have read.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #49
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
I am also currently reading a very large "History of Civilisations" book which traces the history of human civilisation back thousands of years to now... sounds boring but it is actually fascinating to hear how all of the religions and cultures got their start..
If you like History Jac try "1421- The year China discovered the world" (non fiction) http://www.1421.tv/ ...an excellent read and if proven will cause most schools to throw a lot history books out of the window.
Old 16-02-2007, 04:17 PM   #50
NA XR6
!!

The Godfather
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #51
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
If you like History Jac try "1421- The year China discovered the world" (non fiction) http://www.1421.tv/ ...an excellent read and if proven will cause most schools to throw a lot history books out of the window.
Sounds very interesting!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #52
Jamesbondage

I read the best book not long ago it was called Finders Keepers...about some guys who found some cash bags that fell out of a security van....true story too!!!
Jamesbondage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #53
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just finished Monster, it's a autobiography by Sanyika Shakur (Kody Scott) a LA Crips gang member. A very full on book, another guy at work read it and found it really disturbing. If you want a good read with plenty of real voilence this is it.
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #54
Flaming Mo

I usually stick to the non-fiction true crime and autobiography sort of stuff. Read one of the best a few months back. "Eavesdropping on Evil" by Melbourne journalist Wayne Howell.

The investigation / court proceedings into the murder of Victorian Police Officers Silk and Miller. A large portion of the book is devoted to actual transcripts of baddies conversations caught by police listening devices. The book also came with a 50 minute CD with the actual recordings on some of the incrimating conversations. A great read about a great investigation. I could put it down - cleaned it up in less than 24 hours (would have been quicker if I didn't have to sleep).

It brings a smile to the face when said scumbags are repeatedly discussing how clueless the coppers are, unaware that said coppers are listening in on every word. Reading and listening to the goings on in the household of these cop killers, this family is the very definition of "lowlife scum".

Highly recommend this book for anyone into non-fiction / true crime or like subjects.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #55
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

I am reading "Consent to Kill" by Vince Flynn ATM. It's a good read. I have all the Mathew Reilly books ready to be read next, I have only read 'Temple' but that was fantastic. He's an Aussie author too.

Absolutely loved The Stephen Kings "Dark Tower" series, "IT" is probably the best stand alone SK book I think, the movies of his films are always crap though.

Clive Barker's books are amazing if you're into horror, especially "The great and secret show" series.

Read all the Dan Brown books, but the formula he uses wore thin.

Read a lot of Clive Cussler's books too.

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #56
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Anything by Smokey Yunick! (RIP ol' buddy)

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #57
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

But then again anything by Terry Pratchett and you cant lose.
I totally agree

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #58
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
I totally agree
Good to see someone else on here has great taste
Old 17-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #59
dan.76
always reading posts