Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 AM   #31
tbearz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
I havent done it before and im not scared of needles... but for free? naaah.

Saw an ad on TV and it said that more blood donors are needed. Well give me money i'll give u my blood. Nothing's free.
That's bloody unaustralian mate and a stupid attitude. Enough said
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 07:46 AM   #32
crossingover

I give blood im upto 16,I am also an organ donor.I decided to be an organ donor after losing my dad on 7 january 2006,His kidneys were donated one to a 34 year old lady on a dialises machine and one to his brother who was also suffering kidney disease.Im so proud of him as he was able to ad life or asist another persons quality of life.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #33
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to give blood once in response to an appeal and they said there was a 2 hour wait. Unfortunately I didnt have a spare two hours but I believe they got all the blood they needed for the train crash victims.
To the guy who is scared of the needle, what's wrong with you? My wife and I went through IVF recently. We both had multiple blood tests and I helped her inject herself in the stomach morning and night. If you can't handle a needle how do you handle life?
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #34
MarkAW

Used to - 30+ donations but I'm now on medication and they will no longer accept it.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #35
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Used to give regularly, the max is every 10 weeks, but then I moved and now Im no where near any of the red cross places. Dunno how many donations Im up to probably 15 or 20 or something. Havent given any for over a year now.

Its a very good cause.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 10:52 AM   #36
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

If they could just test to see whether I have the bloody Mad Cow disease then I wouldn't have a problem giving blood.

I don't get it, my mum and dad were giving blood for years then they went in again for the usual and were told they can no longer do it. What do they do in the UK, ban everyone except for foreigners?! :P

I'm registered as an organ donor, but i cannot imagine that they would be able to use my organs for the same reason they cannot accept my blood now. Or is that different?

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #37
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
I havent done it before and im not scared of needles... but for free? naaah.

Saw an ad on TV and it said that more blood donors are needed. Well give me money i'll give u my blood. Nothing's free.
Umm. I wish to remind you that if it was a joke, there would be something in your statement that gives it away. I took this statement as serious, as did other people.

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that you were serious and due to a poor reaction, you suddenly decided that you weren't serious.

Regardless, the Red Cross uses thousands of units per day to sustain the lives of people who do not donate.
Australia is dependent on the generosity of people who are willing to undertake a little bit of pain. Fact remains that a little ***** in the arm isn't quite as bad as a person who requires blood after having triple heart bypass surgery.

It's a case of perspective.

* Ok. The ***** is actually P R I C K, as in, ***** my arm with a needle. Not the adjective.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 01:48 PM   #38
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was one of those that never got arround to it, then some one at my work organised a mobile blood bank so I started then every time it came I donated, singed on to the bone marrow donors register etc I have changed jobs since then and I go every quater now. I just make the appoint ment for the next one as I go.

I figure you keep makeing new stuff so why not and I also like to think if other people do it and I stuff up and need a few pints I can get it.

Ford boy, just ring and check I think you can donate at 16 with parental concent

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #39
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
I'm registered as an organ donor, but i cannot imagine that they would be able to use my organs for the same reason they cannot accept my blood now. Or is that different?
I guess they wouldn't if they can't accept you blood. They can have my organs but doubt they will be of any use as I'm a smoker, eat unhealthy, and drink quite a bit.

Generally an unhealthy lifestyle hence why my blood probably wouldn't be any good.

Lungs- stuffed
Liver- stuffed
Heart- stuffed
Kidney- probably stuffed too :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #40
HLC
Audi S3

I've donated blood twice...

the first time was really good.

the second time, they treated me like **** and were trying to get people through as quick as possible. and i ended up passing out. they took the needle out, i was still bleeding, sat me up and tried to get me to get up and go straight away. didnt happen.

really turned me off the whole thing. maybe i'll be able to go again oneday.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #41
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My post went missing.

I am unable to give blood to a cholesterol/blood condition ... and also due to the medication I have to take as well. So it's a no-go from me unfortunately.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 03:49 PM   #42
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
I guess they wouldn't if they can't accept you blood. They can have my organs but doubt they will be of any use as I'm a smoker, eat unhealthy, and drink quite a bit.

Generally an unhealthy lifestyle hence why my blood probably wouldn't be any good.

Lungs- stuffed
Liver- stuffed
Heart- stuffed
Kidney- probably stuffed too :
You know, you could stop smoking and eat more vegetables.

I know this sounds quite meager, but I was a nail biter for 20 years. Started on the nails, but it got to the point where I would also eat my skin. But about 2 weeks ago I just stopped. Haven't bitted a nail since. The temptation is there, but I just haven't done it.

With no durries, you'll live much longer and feel better.

And eat more vegetables!
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #43
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Yes I bleed every 3 months or so, whenever the mobile unit calls by work.

It's a good deal, I get out of the office for a while and a bit of a lie down while they take some blood that I don't really need and I also score a bottle of water, fruit juice and a piece of cake, wooohooo
Old 17-02-2007, 12:02 PM   #44
belz82
two goldfish & a balloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
Are you for real?????????

Thats a pi$$ poor attitude to have....
yeah, i agree scottsman, i'm quite happy to take an afternoon off work and toddle on down to the blood bank to donate... have also recently started donating plasma which is a different experience altogether...

i do it in the hope that if anything ever happens to myself or my family, there might just be some of my blood there to help.... fingers crossed we never need it though...
belz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post