Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #31
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAWagonWheels
why is it a Harley Davidson motorcycle can get away with its VERY LOUD exhaust noise but a V8 gets scrutinised?

Different rules, due to how they are imported I believe.
Old 21-12-2006, 09:08 PM   #32
XR_Lightning
Riding The Lightning

man the EPA sucks balls, cant even remember what my car sounds like with a stock exhuast, must be wierd for you Braden, ed_roars here on the forums used to have a 3" exhaust on his car and he had to get his exhaust tested and it was around 115db, sounded like **** though and had very minimal power, but man was it loud
Old 21-12-2006, 09:26 PM   #33
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

different rules for different types of transport, buses, trucks, cars, motorbikes...all different.

im not sure if its 1988 but its around there somewhere, i remember him saying 198something in november. he said if my car was an XE i'd get away with it, how crap is that!

it is weird not hearing the exhaust!!! ah well, maybe i shoulda recorded the exhaust note and put it on cd, then i could play it off the sound system! it'll be back to normal wednesday anyway so thats ok! at the moment all's i can hear is a combo of the engine/drivetrain and the damn clutch fan! uurrghh yuk!

hmm this reminds me i better send of the test to the EPA now!

i just think its rediculous that some nit wit can stand on the side of the road and just because he thinks a car is too loud, wheather it is or not, he can get there rego and get them to get a test, not only that but then you have to pay $35 each time you get it tested! imagine how much more you'd be ****ed if your car passed and first time without you touching it!

extractors, hi flow cat and a cam!, one day when i do these mods i should go around to the EPA and rip a skid on there bloody front steps!
Old 21-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #34
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

Quote:
why is it a Harley Davidson motorcycle can get away with its VERY LOUD exhaust noise but a V8 gets scrutinised?
Well we've got a pretty loud Harley and before we got it, I used to ask the same question - as a few guys told me 'loud pipes save lives' - on a bike in an accident with a car most drivers say "i didn't see it," well on the fatboy they'll surely hear it.
On a side note, the rego guys tested my XY 3 times on the same day not believing it was 0.4db under the legal limit, they accused me of running plates in the flanges, i handed them a spanner and told them to unbolt the exhaust and take a look - they wouldn't. I told them take a close look - there are 4 mufflers under that - not enough for ya? d*ckheads. But some people like em louder, my mate had had a torana that got done for a 122db on idle, needless to say he garaged it after that defect and it hasn't seen the light of day for the best part of 10 years.
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 09:47 PM   #35
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

[QUOTE=ratman ....as a few guys told me 'loud pipes save lives' - on a bike in an accident with a car most drivers say "i didn't see it," well on the fatboy they'll surely hear it.
[/QUOTE]

haha i like that one! its safety reasons, thats why its loud! at least drunken idiots in town can hear me coming if there too BLIND to see me!!
Old 21-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #36
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

bout 12 months ago, i got an EPA notice. my car was 105DB

put a standard exhaust on and it was 88DB

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #37
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

and the pre-88 ruling is due to cat's being put on cars around that time. a cat will lower your exhaust niose noticibaly.

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 12:04 AM   #38
UNEZED
CLUB STOCKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_Lightning
man the EPA sucks balls, cant even remember what my car sounds like with a stock exhuast, must be wierd for you Braden, ed_roars here on the forums used to have a 3" exhaust on his car and he had to get his exhaust tested and it was around 115db, sounded like **** though and had very minimal power, but man was it loud
damo mate it was actually about 120db with extractors, an empty cat and no mufflers.
Then the 2.5 exhaust with muffler and resinator was 87db
EPA sux
96 EL XR8 - SLMDXR R.I.P - 2 defects
09 FG XR8 - Current Daily - 1 Defect
96 EF Fairmont - Getting there
UNEZED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #39
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_4.0
and the pre-88 ruling is due to cat's being put on cars around that time. a cat will lower your exhaust niose noticibaly.
it was 88 was it? i know the month was november. there was also an exact date but i'm not sure of that. i'm not sure but maybe some very early EA's could get away with it up to 96Db. you'd have to find out for sure.
Old 22-12-2006, 01:56 AM   #40
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

who cares how loud your exhaust is untill you get defected, i have had my new exhaust for around a year now and its a 2.25 with a hotdog lukey extractors and a hiflow and i havent been picked on yet. so go as loud as you like. well i do live in SA though,

and 122 on idle how do you get it so loude, do i take the hotdog off
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 02:05 AM   #41
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not '88. Cats and unleaded fuel became mandatory in 1986. Which is the same time the noise limits changed.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 02:34 AM   #42
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Its not '88. Cats and unleaded fuel became mandatory in 1986. Which is the same time the noise limits changed.
oh 86!! yeah i couldnt remember the year! that all makes sence! well i dont see why the limit has to change but the dates match up!
so would i be correct saying cars built after November 1986 have to be under 90Db?
Old 22-12-2006, 07:57 AM   #43
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
You walk up to a bikie and tell him his bike is too loud!!

I hate that ricers are louder than most V8's!

But you do not need a loud exhaust to gain power. Poeople think the louder it is the more power you will have.

I want to quiet mine down, but then the blower will sound louder! :yeees:
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 10:11 AM   #44
Simmo
White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
while a jumbo jet taking off is around something like 110dba. Threshold for pain is 130dba
my mates both work at an electronics shop and i went round to use their super schmick sound tester that's the same unit they sell to cops. we tested mine from 1.5m behind at a 45degree angle like the cops should. and i got 96 at idle and 113 revving her out. people said my car hurts their ears and now i'll actually believe them. fear my jet engine/exhaust.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #45
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

i'd hate to imagine what readings some of the cars up at springnats would read! there was a WB or similar ute in the burnout comp and the exhaust note on that when he unleashed really did hurt! i can take a fair bit but i had to block my ears for that!! how much do sound testers cost simmo?
Old 22-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #46
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
different rules for different types of transport, buses, trucks, cars, motorbikes...all different.

im not sure if its 1988 but its around there somewhere, i remember him saying 198something in november. he said if my car was an XE i'd get away with it, how crap is that!
I think it was November 1985, same time Cats became mandatory. But most say 1986. If your looking at a turbo from that era eg Mitsu Cordia, you get something like 20 extra KW by getting a 1985 model over a 1986. It also allows you to have 3" straight pipe from the turbo back with no restrictions
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #47
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Sound tester or DB meter as they are called, dick smith have one for around $100

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 12:26 PM   #48
LTDHO
The one and only

Also you may want to note that there are 2 'weight's used to measure sound level.

I'm sure EPA use B
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #49
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
Sound tester or DB meter as they are called, dick smith have one for around $100
i might get myself one, use it then return.......(im cheap!).

and as for noise, it really gets attention around the city/suburb areas. Everyone looks when you give it a bit, so its kind of a good feeling. I was at lygon last night and this really was the first time i have taken my car into the city after putting the extractors and cats on. Chuck into first gear and stroll around the traffic, alot of fun with a V8 and the looks you get.

Its also possible to get sound and performance too? You can tell the difference between a proper 6cyl zorst job and a crappy one. Do it the proper way and you will have a nice note as well as performance, its a win win situation (unless financial reasons disagree).

SVT8
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #50
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wondered about this so I checked the regs in NSW.
There is an interesting offense that can be applied to any modification that makes the car noisier than when original:
from http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/no...hiclenoise.htm
Offense: "Removing, altering or rendering less effective the noise control equipment of a motor vehicle (clause 18)"
Penalty for an individual: $200
More info: "Defective mufflers
Vehicle owners and operators should ensure that their vehicles are not fitted with defective mufflers (referred to as 'noise control equipment' in Clause 18 of the Regulation). Defective noise control equipment is defined as:

equipment that allows the emission of more noise than the original noise control equipment fitted by the vehicle manufacturer, or
equipment that has been modified in a way that makes it less effective than it would have been without the modification, or
equipment that allows gas to escape from a place other than the intended exhaust outlet, or
if the equipment concerned comprises a system of mufflers – the system contains fewer mufflers – than the original system fitted by the manufacturer.
Listen to the exhaust system when buying a vehicle. If the vehicle sounds noisier than unmodified vehicles of the same make and model, its system may have been altered. If in doubt, make inquiries. The system should be replaced with a quieter system when:

the exhaust system has been replaced with an excessively loud system such as a sports system, or
the baffles have been altered or removed from the muffler so the vehicle is noisier."

Seems that, if they want to, they can get you for anything that is louder than the original system.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/vi...2000+first+0+N
"(3) For the purposes of subclause (1) (b), defective noise control equipment includes:
(a) equipment that allows the emission of more noise than the original noise control equipment fitted by the vehicle manufacturer, or"

Some other weird laws:
from http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/vi...2000+first+0+N

"15 Use of motor vehicles on residential premises

(1) A person must not cause or permit a motor vehicle to be used on residential premises in such a manner that it emits noise that can be heard within a habitable room in any other residential premises (regardless of whether any door or window to that room is open):
(a) before 8 am or after 8 pm on any Saturday, Sunday or public holiday, or
(b) before 7 am or after 8 pm on any other day.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units in the case of a corporation, 50 penalty units in the case of an individual.

(2) A person is not guilty of an offence under this clause unless:
(a) the person has, within 7 days after causing or permitting a motor vehicle to be used in such a manner, been warned by any other person not to cause or permit the motor vehicle to be used in that manner, and
(b) the person causes or permits the motor vehicle to be used in that manner within 28 days after the warning has been given.
(3) A person is not guilty of an offence under this clause merely because noise is emitted from the motor vehicle while the motor vehicle is entering or leaving residential premises."
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 01:22 PM   #51
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez, if you fitted an exhaust system louder than the origianl it's an offense to sell the car:
"Selling your vehicle
Under section 136 of the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997, you must ensure that the exhaust system and other noise control equipment of your vehicle are not defective before selling it.

Under clause 6 of the Regulation it is an offence to sell a motor vehicle:

with a louder exhaust system than the one for which the vehicle was originally designed
with a horn or intruder alarm that exceeds noise limits prescribed in the Regulation."
Old 22-12-2006, 01:37 PM   #52
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

ha i bought my car with this exhaust on it! the guy did say it was a tad louder than the limit.
i just reakon theres too many rules and regulations these days. one day its gonna be like that episode of Family Guy when everything is sensored!!! :

i dont want to have to get a permit to take a crap! the way it's going tho we're all gonna have to!

ha in that article it says 1 in 5 people get affected by road noise wheather it be exhaust, brakes, sound systems etc. so what do they mean affected, what they get sick or they die because a car that just went past was a whole 6Db over the 'so called limit'!
Old 22-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #53
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

these rule and regulations are so damn tight!!!
Quote:
i dont want to have to get a permit to take a crap!
I that day is not far.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #54
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ha i bought my car with this exhaust on it! the guy did say it was a tad louder than the limit.
Theoretically, if they choose to enforce it (in NSW anyway, havent' checked other states), he has commited an offense.

The noise from car stereos is an interesting one. "offensive" can mean any low frequency sound coming from the sound system that can be clearly heard outside the vehicle.

So, it seems that while there are dB limits on everything they have a backup - if your exhaust is louder than standard or they can hear boom boom then you can get booked - NSW.
Old 22-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #55
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

so with sound systems thats why your best to overload your floor and doors with that sound deadning stuff!
Old 22-12-2006, 04:15 PM   #56
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
i dont want to have to get a permit to take a crap!
if that day comes, i will dump a **** on their door step without a permit
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 04:44 PM   #57
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

great to see the discussion being constructive
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #58
Simmo
White Lightning

Quote:
how much do sound testers cost simmo?
the one we borrowed from the showroom cost like $600. definitely more accurate than a dick smith job.

whenever i revved it to 5000 then let off, my car does 2 nice bangs on the overrun everytime. we revved it out 3 times and each time we get these 2 sick bangs/pops. the funny bit was those bangs hurt my ears the most but didnt register louder than the zorst at full noise.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #59
XR_Lightning
Riding The Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed roars
damo mate it was actually about 120db with extractors, an empty cat and no mufflers.
Then the 2.5 exhaust with muffler and resinator was 87db
EPA sux
my ears are still ringing from the 3" eventhough you havent had it on there for like 6 months
Old 22-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #60
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
great to see the discussion being constructive
haha yeah sorry mate we got a bit of topic there! :