Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default High Quality Car Covers?

Hi all.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to garage my BOSS BF, but there seems to be sufficient airflow to ensure that within a day or so after cleaning the car has a layer of dust and soot etc from the air & roof area of the garage.

So, does anybody know of a brand of car cover that's designed purely as a dust cover, and that isn't going to sctatch the hell out of black duco whilst slipping it on and off? I don't mind paying good $$$ if its a good one, just not a cheapie.

Thanks.
Brent.

Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How long are you going to be garaging it for, as other Preparation steps may need to be taken?

or are you simply parking it overnight and just want to put a car cover on it to keep it clean?

If the second one I would be more included to rent a Industrial vacuum for the day and climb into the ceiling and vacuum it out and fill any holes that are there at the same time.

But if you still want 2 do the car cover thing, then get a good qualit one and not a plastic one, Easy rely spend some $$ and you will get a good quality one, go cheap and you will just get chit.

Also I wouldn’t put a car cover on dirty paint.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a weekend car. Gets garaged during the working week, then comes out to play for the weekends. Its an old garage with a pretty high corrugated iron pitched roof, so lots of airflow comes in under the roof lining etc, thus causing dust to come in. The cover would really only serve the purpose of keeping the dust off it for about 5 days per week.
Old 21-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

couldn't you just put a bed sheet over it?

A little ghetto I know, but if its only for during the week then who cares, plus it gives you an excuse to wash it every weekend.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #5
Bax
Projecting

I'm with polyal, bed sheet would be the best, the top of the line car covers with the soft fabric underside usually have breathers that allow air in, so if its breezey enough the dust will come straight through, I'd be tempted to leave it sit and then wash the dust off at the end of the week.

I just dont like car covers whatsoever
Bax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #6
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

I got a nice cover from autobarn with a soft lining in it.Around $120 for X-LGE.I can check the brand for you if that's what you're after.
gregaust is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 12:41 PM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is what you want. An inflatable car capsule

http://www.rdent.com/pages/carcap.html

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #8
MarkAW

Brent
I own a garage with a similar roof type. My garage is used for wood projects which usually require dozens of lacquer coats. In the end I found it more worthwhile to seal up the roof than try to stop the debris from falling down.

For the eaves I had some sheet colour bond (150 x 3000) made and nailed to the rafter ends - between the gutter and wall. For the ridge cap I just used expending poly foam to fill the gaps.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Mark.

Yeah, it looks like I might have to do a bit of work to put some sheeting/wood linings around the gaps. The expanding foam filler sounds like a good idea as well for the roof area.
Old 21-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #10
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
This is what you want. An inflatable car capsule

http://www.rdent.com/pages/carcap.html

Seen that one - It's a riot! But it probably makes good sense to someone with too much money, a car collection and white polished marble floors in the garage. Or to someone with an auto-immune disease or Obsessive-Compulsive cleaning disorder.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 05:53 PM   #11
MarkAW

Best part was I stopped the ********* Indian Minors (birds) from nesting in the roller door.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #12
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

In my old house I had the problem with the corrugated iron roof letting the leaves and dust in all over my car restoration project.

I got a roofing contractor to remove the roof iron, put Sisalation (silver coated paper) over the roof, ensuring the centre part and edges of the roof are sealed, then replace the iron with roofing screws.

This worked a treat, and also kept the garage a bit cooler in the hot weather.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #13
BlackBa

Chuck a cheapo false ceiling in it!
BlackBa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post