Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-03-2005, 12:09 AM   #1
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Default Ford Discovery Center

I was staying in Geelong for a few days this week as I was attending Avalon with the work.
I decided to go see the Ford Discovery Center while I was there.
What a dissapointment!
I was expecting it to be much bigger.
Ok there is quite a bit of history and information crammed in there and some bloody flash cars, but it just didnt do much for me.
I was hoping to at least see an EL GT in the flesh! But Noooooo.
Even the gift shop had a **** poor selection of stuff...what a let down...

Was I expecting to much or do other people think the same?
Old 21-03-2005, 12:35 AM   #2
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

They do change their displays from time to time,so it dosent become boring.
At least Ford have a display as for Holden i'm not too sure if they do.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 01:14 AM   #3
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

A member on here works there I believe. Atleast you have a Ford Discovery centre there....
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 08:38 AM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

'Discovery' on the forums works at FDC.

I think alot of Ford is packed into the FDC. You do realise why the display is in that location and not in a massive wharehouse???
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Even though that may be your experience, I don’t really agree with you.

The FDC has a wealth of history and it’s really what your expectations were before going.

As most said, it’s not a big area, the cars do change, but each car has its unique history.

Even though its good to stroll through maybe a guided tour would have been more of a benefit.

Merchandise numbers where down last time I was there as well, but I just put it down to change in team colors etc.

Last edited by Laminge; 21-03-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh i thought it was pretty good. There's heaps of wacky concepts to drool over (mmm 351 EA GT). I dunno what else they could put in there that was of much interest to anyone! Apart from maybe a real v8 supercar.

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Well I did a day trip to Geelong from Melbourne while I was down that way 2 weeks ago, and I beg to differ.

The Ford Discovery Centre was excellent, and I spent the best part of a day going through all the displays.

The most amazing parts of the displays I saw were the ones that had cars sectioned to show many of the hidden components.

Anyone with an engineering / mechanical background would really appreciate the work that has gone into each of these cars.

Of particular interest was the emphasis placed on the Ford Territory, and the development it has taken to bring the car into fruition.

I asked to see Flick but she was in a meeting, so I didn't get to say hello.

The day at the Ford Discovery Centre was one of the main things I wanted to see while in Melbourne, and I'm glad I did. :sm_headba

A big thankyou to all the people involved with the Centre, I really enjoyed myself.

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 03:04 PM   #8
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When compared to the opposition - it does fall down!! :yeees:
Old 21-03-2005, 03:05 PM   #9
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmCee
When compared to the opposition - it does fall down!! :yeees:
outta interest, what is the opposition? Might make a visit ;)

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 04:26 PM   #10
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HOLDEN (The Opposition) The National Motor Museum {Birdswood} (Discovery Centre) equivalent :yeees:
Old 21-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #11
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmCee
HOLDEN (The Opposition) The National Motor Museum {Birdswood} (Discovery Centre) equivalent :yeees:
Does Holden actually have an interest in running the Birdwood Museum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong

Last edited by smciner1; 21-03-2005 at 06:54 PM.
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 06:43 PM   #12
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its Birdwood btw :P... and i think Holden do have some money involved but it isnt mainly Holdens either! There are Fords and other makes there too!
Old 21-03-2005, 06:44 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On my first visit, I thought the FDC was pretty good. There was a few highlights for me. It was a buzz to see the only EA GT in existance. And the best part for me, was leaving my details asking if they had any AU 3 and XR brochures as I bought my car 2nd hand and never got that information. Within a week of getting back, a brand new brochure turned up as I requested. That was pretty good of them to do that from their archive section.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 08:23 PM   #14
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

I really enjoyed my visit. You can see all the effort and time that's gone into it. There's a lot involved in just setting up what you see there. Moving cars in and out of there ain't a simple task. Where else are you going to see Henry's own table?

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 10:03 PM   #15
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

lol

guess ive just been shot down!

I do appreciate a lot of hard work has gone into it, i did love the cut away sections in the cars, was very interesting to see the inner workings. And the Falcons with the Territory suspension fitted for testing...thats an excellent way of testing!
Unless I missed a whole room or something, i really couldnt have spent more than a couple of hours in there though. I guess it would be different if it was a UK Ford Center though. I dont appreciate the Aussie Ford history the same was I do about the UK division. Im only really interested in E-Series onwards.
Old 21-03-2005, 10:15 PM   #16
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

When I was there last which was back a few month's, I couldn't get past my jaw on the ground after seeing the non restored vermillion fire XY GTHO III,mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, gimme, gimme.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 03:25 AM   #17
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
The most amazing parts of the displays I saw were the ones that had cars sectioned to show many of the hidden components.

Anyone with an engineering / mechanical background would really appreciate the work that has gone into each of these cars.

Of particular interest was the emphasis placed on the Ford Territory, and the development it has taken to bring the car into fruition.
Not a truer word said. I could never look at any Falcon (particularly the AU/BA) in the same light again.

From my visit about a month ago, I learnt a lot on the history of Ford Australia and also a lot of the development stuff - which to me was a spinout.

It's a great little gem, worth visiting if one hasn't.
Old 22-03-2005, 03:15 PM   #18
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

As already said - tis quite an amazing display - though to anyone unaware of the significance of some of the vehicles that are on display, they can be forgiven for thinking it to be somewhat 'uninspiring'
For me part the 2 visits that I have had has been exceptionally valuable in terms of the insight gained considering the historical significance of some of the vehicles on display.
A few of the things you may or may NOT have overlooked, that were still on display (or were on display a couple of weeks back)
Apart from the few cutaways (going back OVER 40 odd years)
or the attributable prototype territory vehicles, giving insight into how a vehicle such as the terri comes into being - the silver proto with the raised turret section with different dash, & terri windscreen is well unusual to say the least (vehicles such as these are usually consigned to the burned bashed & buried NEVER to see the light of day once theyve been used & abused on the construction trail)
The orange R7 proto concept that was 1st revealed at 2003(?) mms was on display - don't know whether many others are aware that this is basically a plastic skinned car.
The design studio area (which is run seperately by the design studio themselves) provides a good idea of the processes that go into designing new pieces - & some of the possible design options theyve knocked back are interesting.
The concept / display vehicles they had on display also had a lot of history, ALL with a story of their own to tell. I guess my only real criticism (if you could call it that) was having a way of 'discovering' the secrets these vehicles had to tell. Can't sit there & read page after page of information (eventually gets boring - no matter HOW exciting the content), Can't expect to have someone sit/stand there & fill me in about every fine point.
Truth be known - I could go on for HOURS about the knowledge just a short period of time spent in there revealed to me - yet I know I didn't even scratch the surface.....
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 03:27 PM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I haven't been there in a while but last time I was there I couldn't get past the EL predator...mmm supercharged gorgeous looking beast of a thing
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 05:48 PM   #20
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman
I dont appreciate the Aussie Ford history the same was I do about the UK division. Im only really interested in E-Series onwards.
That's probably why it sucked for you, the center is mostly about Ford's heritage (i.e cars before the E-series)
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 11:07 PM   #21
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Racer
That's probably why it sucked for you, the center is mostly about Ford's heritage (i.e cars before the E-series)
/me points out E series onwards = 1988 - 2005, or inperspective 17 years of Ford Australia's 80 year history (btw - happy birthday FoMoCoAus for 31st March!!!! - anniversary of their Incorporation as an Aus company)
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2005, 11:33 PM   #22
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

For a privately run place I think its worth a look..
Ford has a discovery centre to show many years of fame.
All Holden have is the hall of Shame..lol..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 02:19 AM   #23
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
'Discovery' on the forums works at FDC.

I think alot of Ford is packed into the FDC. You do realise why the display is in that location and not in a massive wharehouse???
Is it becasue Deakin uni Bought the warehouse thats over the road from FDC? :
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2005, 03:59 PM   #24
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
I guess my only real criticism (if you could call it that) was having a way of 'discovering' the secrets these vehicles had to tell. Can't sit there & read page after page of information (eventually gets boring - no matter HOW exciting the content), Can't expect to have someone sit/stand there & fill me in about every fine point.
I went there with a bunch of other Ford Freaks from another forum and we were lucky enough to have Felicity (Discovery) talk us through the whole place, giving us all full info and history of each exhibit. I found it very interesting. I did think though that it wouldn't be anywhere near as good without Felicity's informative commentary.

We went there before the Territory was released so didn't get to see the displays mentioned above. Will have to try and get back there again some day. The Birdswood Museum sounds interesting too.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post