Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mini choppers

Hey guys me and my 12yo cousin want to do a small project and he's getting into motorbike's and harley's and even the jap cruiser/choppers scene so I suggested we build him a nice mini chopper to I was wondering if anone on here has built such a beast did you use a kit or did you buy a built one and then strip/custom paint and use custom parts to build it back up I have done some limited research on the internet on the subject but thats about it so if anyone can give me any info would be great as our hands are itching to build something together plus I don't spend much time with him due to me being much older and would be a great bonding exercise I think as all he does is play computer games or watch tv and it pee's me off plus I can teach hi a skill for life to fix stuff or even better might peak his intrest in mechanical thing's instead of the answer he gave yesterday I said what you going to do when it beaks he said I'll just take it to a shop and they can fix it

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #2
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mini choppers

Not a chopper, but probably the best place to start out is with an ex-postie bike...available cheap, plenty of aftermarket bits and knowledge, can be fixed with some wire and a hammer, and they look unbelievably good when customised as several shops are now doing...

Go here and drool for a while and get some inspiration...
http://www.pmmc.com.au/
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

That's a big sentence, with very little punctuation, and some poor spelling!

Anyways, I think building a bike would be a great idea. I have done a PeeWee with my then 9yo. He loved it. Gave him some appreciation of his "new" bike, and also some skills for when a mates bike gave trouble on the trails to help bring them home.

I have rebuilt and customised many dirt bikes, and you can see a link in my post below. Make sure you join the Bike community here at AFF and do a thread to allow us all to enjoy your journey and learn from you. Some of us may also offer advise where required!

Looking forward to it.

Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buying a kit seems OK but not much effort, not cheap and built in a couple of weekends, which will result in little satisfaction.

Building a full custom to me seems the other extreme and alot to bite off for someone just getting into the scene, expensive and if the result is ordinary impossible to recoup any money.

I'd buy an older small simple cheap bike and rebuild/restore, maybe modify a little. If interest is there sell the restored one and build something more substantial.

My opinion

EDIT: What's with the FF.com.au spelling bee? Did I miss a memo?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like anything for kids, don't spend too much,within a few months the fad will go away
Ive a mini chopper,and in the hands of an inexperienced rider,they are scary
Don't let the small 48-50 cc think they are slow,these things scream there lungs out, they even have pod filters
Very quick of the mark, ive punted it against,(for giggles) the ministers low K,early 70s CB100
The mini chopper nails the bigger bike
Id be inclined to steer towards quads,bit more stable on 4 wheels
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

I have a chinese chopper, a 50cc quad and a peewee 80 for the kids.
the chopper will get me going at a fair pace. I prefer Mr 7 & Mr 9 on the chopper as it has a low centre of gravity. they've stacked it a couple of times, got up, laughed and jumped back on.
The quad is pretty easy to pick up a wheel around a corner, dont think it would take much to tip it over. Miss 12 loves it.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
burnz
VFII SS UTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skt6CDtLDhA
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mini choppers are AWESOME fun!

We may or may not have been overtaking cars at ~80km/h back in the day on the back streets when the parents weren't home

I picked mine up in bits for about $100, but I've seen assembled ones go for as much as $700 so if you're handy with the tools it's worth your while.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96 View Post
That's a big sentence, with very little punctuation, and some poor spelling!
I'm sorry we're not all rogue scholars like you but english is my second language and I can hardly read it let alone spell and grammar but thank you for your input and suggestion on the bike forum

Also what are some good bikes around the 1000 dollar mark to buy his dad is a welder buy trade and making jigs and welding won't be a problem he is not a bike person so doesn't really want to join in but will do all the welding to make sure it is safe

Last edited by Boza; 31-03-2013 at 09:49 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
yakcam
I drank what?

Rhodes scholar... Not trying to be a smart ***, but I thought that it was appropriate, considering the topic... Rhodes his bike...hahaha ha ha ha ahhhh... OK maybe not....
Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakcam View Post
Rhodes scholar... Not trying to be a smart ***, but I thought that it was appropriate, considering the topic... Rhodes his bike...hahaha ha ha ha ahhhh... OK maybe not....
I's really funny I can speak ok but when it comes to read pronuciation and grammar spell check is my friend

when I read I totally misinterpret words and it's a bit had for me when I go to the shops or ask for something I speak well but when I start to pronounce words totally wrong might do another ESL course
Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
I's really funny I can speak ok but when it comes to read pronuciation and grammar spell check is my friend

when I read I totally misinterpret words and it's a bit had for me when I go to the shops or ask for something I speak well but when I start to pronounce words totally wrong might do another ESL course
You would do the world of good if you only added a . every time you end a sentence.

Point taken with the language barrier, but better to try, and get better, than nothing.

And I am sorry for being the spelling nazi.

Anyways, back on topic.

Something like this.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YAMAHA-DT...item4d0af58fe6
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96 View Post
You would do the world of good if you only added a . every time you end a sentence.

Point taken with the language barrier, but better to try, and get better, than nothing.

And I am sorry for being the spelling nazi.

Anyways, back on topic.

Something like this.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/YAMAHA-DT...item4d0af58fe6
It might help you sleep easier at night but I doubt it really matters in the scheme of things the guy asked a simple hounst question I really don't see any benefit in **** canning the guys spelling and punctuation well I suppose it makes you feel like a rocket sceintist but as for the thread it adds nothing so in reality your not sorry for being a spelling nazi infact I believe you are getting your jollies by pointing it out I personally am crap at spelling and I make no apologies for it but this guy has english as a second language so I recon he's done well to get his point across o and BTW I have deliberately left out all punctuation just cause I know you'll appreciate it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah that bike was perfect we have a few to look at but want to make a start on the school holidays