Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-02-2018, 09:31 PM   #11
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why is it.................?

Why is it......

That car makers put "style" before safety, even if said "style" is debatable in it's appearance.

I'm taking about lights here - blinkers mainly. In the last week, I've noticed this more & more. One is a new Hyundai 4WD - probably the Santa-Fe, but I'm not 100% sure which Hyundai SUV. Front blinkers are in the outer ends of the headlight housing, half way around the front guard. The blinker section is this oddball shaped end, with an intricately detailed clear lense that has a heap of lines down it - a bit like an old headlight. But waiting at a roundabout, first in line, with it approaching from your right, with the left blinker on, it's almost impossible to see it flashing. However, once it starts to turn the corner, the flashing is quite bright. Likewise if you're a few cars back in the line, so on say a 45 degree angle - it's quite fine there too. But head on, or up to about 30 degrees off axis, it's almost impossible to see if it's flashing.

And then there's the drop-kick "designers" who put them down in the bumper bar where the fog lamps go. Ford Kuga is the perfect example, and the new Hyundai Tucson is similar, but not as bad.

With the proliferation of roundabouts in society, usually planted with some form of small shrubs, flowers, or a low brick structure, you simply cannot see these blinkers. You can clearly see the headlights, and a section at the end that appears like it should have a blinker in it. I wonder how many times drivers of these vehicles turn right at a roundabout and have people pull out in front because they can't actually see the blinker?

Once upon a time we had ADRs that dictated the placement of these things, and the brightness, as well as the viewing angle. I remember being defected for having a VH Commodore that was "too low" with the cop claiming nobody would be able to see my headlights or blinkers over a roundabout. I pointed to the Nissan Gazelle behind me in the RBT line, with blinkers in the bumper, and noted how low they were compared to mine... But these Kugas are down with the foglight. It's pathetic. Whoever signed off on that type approval obviously didn't think to hard about it.

We're seeing more & more of this haphazard & stupid placement of lights, just to be "different" - but not in a good way. Look at a Hyundai Kona, or a Nissan Puke for how stupidly ugly they are with the crazy placement of lights....

Why is it......
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: