Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-12-2016, 03:55 AM   #1
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Digital Billboards - Traffic Hazard

Hi,
Recently some large digital billboards have been erected above the Perth (Mitchell) Freeway, and I find it quite distracting to drive past these.
Clearly the billboards are made to attract the drivers attention, and distract from the task of driving. It's illegal to check text messages on your phone, but it is encouraged to view video or rapid changing advertising messages on these electronic billboards. Great achievement by the advertising lobby groups

Here are some articles discussing digital billboards as a hazard for drivers
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-m...b_5563176.html

http://www.screens.ru/en/2012/7.html

In Perth, one display is located near the South street overpass bridge (northbound). It covers the full width as 3 lanes of the freeway.
One display is located on the roof of a building where St.George's Tce crosses the freeway, direct sight by the cars. The worst thing is that there are merging lanes not far from these locations.
I understand there has been digital billboards for some time in other states. Unfortunately the crash data are often unclear, and I guess no one collects and researches the crash data for these locations properly. Also, the billboard advertising companies worldwide and in AU seem to spend money to develop and publish skewed 'research' papers, similar to the 'Smoking is harmless' campaigns by the tobacco industry some time ago.

I guess these new advertising billboards are here to stay, and probably more to come.
Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: