Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-06-2015, 01:47 AM   #1
Peterwl

Default New Car Options and Observations

I am looking to upgrade my 2009 XR6 Falcon to either a Commodore SS Auto or another FG II Falcon. I want to buy a full sized car built for Australian condition ( bad roads ) and that does not have Start Stop technology. This essentially means a Commodore or a Falcon.

When Ford and GMH start importing the replacements for these, they are bound to have the Start Stop Technology mandated for them.

I am also concerned that my 5 speed auto transmission will fail one day, and I also have 2 damaged rims and cannot buy any second hand replacement.

I recently test drove two new VF Commodores back to back. The first one, an SV6 auto and the second an SS V8 Auto.

The V6 was a little noisy and not as nice a drive as my 2009 FG XR6 5 speed auto which has 64000 Klm on it. (Yes I know this is heresy ) Yes the Commodore has a nicer interior and a better sound system, and better air conditioning.

I then drove the SS.

It is much quieter that the V6, but with poor low speed torque, it is not that much quicker than the SV6 in under 110 Kph driving. You really have to rev it to get its better performance. You should not have to do this for a 6 litre motor.

After driving both at the Holden dealership, I got back into my much maligned 5 speed FG Falcon and came to the conclusion that my Falcon sits on the road better and has more usable performance that the SV6 and only slightly less that the SS V8.

I also test drove an FG II XR6 auto with 8,000 Klm on it. Definitely quieter that my 2009 but less performance. The audio was no better either but I senses the air conditioning was a little better than mine. I did not feel any awe or reverence for the 6 speed transmission either. It did a few sloppy shifts.

If I am going to have a long term keep / weekend drive, it may as well be a 2014 / 2015 model instead of a 2009 one.

A lot of Ford dealers still have FG II’s at good drive away prices, under $30,000. The SS is a lot dearer, with drive away prices I have been quoted from $41,000 to $44,000.

While I will be happy with a newer / better Falcon XR6 of G6E, the Commodore V8 is tempting from a mild modification aspect. Holden warrant the Walkinshaw packages.

Maybe I should also try the Falcon XR6 Turbo, but the thought of frequent diff bush replacements and noisy low profile tyres are a turn off.

Appreciate any informed comments,

Cheers all

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
2002 VX II Commodore Equipe 3.8 Auto
Peterwl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post