Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanrz
That "MPGe" figure is there because the car runs on ethanol, so the extra "e" on the end signifies the energy equivalent to a gallon of regular gasoline.
So 100 MPGe = a reality of 80 MPG of normal fuel.

And this is bad???

I mean sure it's not the 100 but 80 is still a hell of a lot better than what's out there at the moment.

Even at a decent 10l/100km you're talking about roughly 40ml/gal so then 80ml back to km is around 5l/100km on par with most of the current Direct Injection Diesel engines out on the market at the moment.

Hey Dan I'm not arguing with you about where the Ethanol comes from but what by product of corn is used, the sugar beet and cane is the pulp but what pulp from corn and wheat (just asking)?? The flip side of that is that the cane growers/ethanol producers in particular are getting subsidised to produce Ethanol, so essentially we still pay the difference in the end.

As for tolerances, not sure but I would have thought that the tighter an engine runs the more efficient, I mean F1 engines are all hand built so as to be able to run minimum tolerances. Sure they get rebuilt quite regularly but that could also be because they rev at around 12-15,000rpm.

There are other technologies that could be used and if this guy is an electrical engineer then there is one other way that I can think of that I actually put to an engineer many years ago to which he said it could work. Essentially it's a wasted fuel burn off set up but rather than just burning off remaining fuel in the cylinder you would actually fire two cylinders simultaneously. This would work best in a V8 as it essentially runs the engine as a twin bank 4 cylinder engine, but because you fire two cylinders at once you'd need less fuel in each, in theory half as a minimum but with proper tuning and timing you would use up to half that again. So you would have roughly a 50% fuel saving but with little to no drop in torque which is where the real power is due to the simultaneous firing of 2 cylinders this would make up for any losses in a single cylinder fire system.

Think about it, it would work.

just to add: I think the Revenge article pretty much tells the story, the big boys look at everyone as a crackpot first, expecting them to do their own R+D then look at it again if it actually works. Revenge have essentially bought into the rights so that when they show it does work and the demand from the consumer is there they have a big stake in the rights buy out when the big boys want in. On the upside they have a great economical engine that they can plonk into their own production model that saves fuel and gives you outstanding peformance at the same time, plus the US Government is giving huge subsidies to companies researching and promoting "Green Tech", so they are making money from all sides. Smart people.

Last edited by XRQTR; 08-06-2009 at 01:03 PM.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post