Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2005, 12:23 AM   #1
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy My first run at calder

Well...thought I'd take the leap and join the 1/4 mile club.......
Took the ute (BA XR8 MK1 man) down to calder tonight. What can I say? It was awesome fun!!

My first run (which was my worse) was an embarassing 15.48s @ 100.25MPH :togo: . hmmmmmm
Second run (which was my best) was an mediocre 14.47s @ 102.01MPH.
Trouble is I don't know what I did differently!
I had 6 runs in total.

My 60' leaves a lot to be desired, averaging 2.6s with the worse being 3s LOL!
(Anyone got any tips on how I can improve this? I kept loosing traction)

Most distracting thing was the helmet...it muffed out all the sound and made it very difficult to "feel" the car to get a good take off. Another distracting thing was my heart pumping at 200bpm lol.

I ran the car as I would drive it everyday, with spare tyre still on and crap like melways, emergency toolkit, water bottle, CDs, coins tucked in the car. Also left the tornaue cover on.

PS. Apart from "show" what is the purpose of ripping a burnout before making a run? All 6 times I just drove to the staging lights without doing the burn out. Would doing a burn out make your tyre stickier?

PPS. Do most people change into 4th gear before crossing the finish line? I found that my 3rd gear hits the rev limiter just a tad before the finish line.

T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post