Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-06-2005, 08:33 PM   #1
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Default Ya Gotta Do It Once

Hi folks, i have just got back from Alice Springs, after a couple of weeks off.
I have driven trucks all over Australia, but never had a chance to drive a car on "de restricted" roads.
The drive from Melbourne to Port Augusta was pretty boring 110 - 120 kph stuff, after Port Augusta i was cruising a fair way above the legal limit in S.A, but by using the UHF radio on the truckies channel 40, you get a fair idea of what is going on.
I didnt see one police car in 535k's until i saw a divvy van in Coober Pedy.
Its quite an interesting drive, various different colour landscapes and some beautiful wild flowers, salt lakes and some great photo opportunities.
Fuel prices varied, the more remote, the more expensive.
I paid $1.59 per litre at Glendambo road house (95 ron not 98 ron !), and about $1.25 at Alice Springs.
Once you cross the S.A/N.T border it is open slather for speed ! I was cruising at around 190 - 200 kph on cruise control, and occasionaly took it up to 240 - 250 kph, bloody awesome if you like that kind of thing and all perfectly legal !
From what i actually witnessed, most people sit around 130 - 140 kph, which does make sense, as my fuel consumtion was around 19 litres per 100 k's at 180 kph, and the Pursoot was wandering a fair bit over 230kph, and the roads are not quite "Auto Bahn" smooth. Also look out for eagles eating "road kill" as they wont move for anything, even 140 tonne road trains !
Here is a snap shot of the speedo, pretty hard to shoot straight, trying to hold the car on the road with one hand at 230 plus !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cnv0078.jpg (27.4 KB, 398 views)