Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Default Tonight either on ACA or TT - young driver deaths

Caught a glimpse of an ad for one of the two programs, I don't know which, that tonights episode will have parents of deceased teens killed on the roads, calling for action.

Not getting into a slanging match about the shows.

ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Not sure which one it's on.

hope it's not like all the others...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 07:16 PM   #3
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Im guessing its going to be the same 'ol story about grieving parents who want to wave a magic wand and stop all the carnage.....my 2 cents anyway......But i'll still watch it!
Old 28-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

Same old same old, except now the morons are scratching their heads trying to explain why P-Plate deaths have doubled in NSW since the introduction of their idiotc restrictions.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Same old same old, except now the morons are scratching their heads trying to explain why P-Plate deaths have doubled in NSW since the introduction of their idiotc restrictions.
yeh true true at the moment those restrictions havent seemed to be doing anything to the young road toll
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

TT done, now awaiting ACA.

Roosendaal met with mother and father Wells today, he is calling for 'defensive driver training' and passenger restrictions.

The first falls in line with the National Driver Training Scheme under dvelopment.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 28-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
TT done, now awaiting ACA.

Roosendaal met with mother and father Wells today, he is calling for 'defensive driver training' and passenger restrictions.

The first falls in line with the National Driver Training Scheme under dvelopment.
Perhaps the Government need to look more at the parent side of things rather than placing knee jerk restrictions on p platers. I'm open minded as to what benefit a parent of a deceased child would have, can't imagine the poor guy being too open minded, but if he has good ideas that will improve the quality of training young drivers receive then it will be justified.

Bottom line, especially form personal experience, its not so much the lack of skill but more the thought process where things go wrong. Like Dr Phil says, our brains don't fully develop til we're in our early to mid 20's.

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

I concure Nobbystang and others.

Government can however give us additional tools that might be of use in our road going careers; triangle, vest, by adopting these 'standard measures' used OS in Europe and expected by all drivers in that market. The ACA program had one family I know who would have benefitted.

I will be discussing NSW P2 to full license, (DQT) test 'management' and 'program'. I am not satisfied with some of this content, indeed one question demands you give an incorrect answer to pass.

I'd suggest 'full' passenger restriction will not be the go, BUT we could restrict the P plater to two passengers only, typically preventing an additional two passenger deaths in a five seater, a 'balanced' approach to this.

I do suggest that rather than relying soley on INTERNET Pdf access to the NSW Road Users Handbook, NSW's key driver manual, that parents actually fork out the $10 cost and buy it. Much of what is inside in content, aside from highlighting legal requirement, is in fact practical on-road advice and offers much 'defensive driving' tutorial. RTA have sized this so it'll fit into the glove compartment.
Old 28-11-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a main meeting about this tomorrow in NSW. One member of the panel is a father who recently lost his young son in an accident. Suggestions so far include restricting P-plate drivers to one passenger unless the passenger is over 25 and licensed and limiting new P-Plate drivers to 2 litre vehicles.
the minister hasn't committed anything yet but there will be changes for sure.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
IIV8II

Oh goody - they can all go crash in Sigmas and Lasers instead
IIV8II is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #11
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIV8II
Oh goody - they can all go crash in Sigmas and Lasers instead
Im with you...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #12
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1XR2C
Im with you...
Same here, doesn't matter what kind of car it is the only factor that changes is how long it takes to get to a speed that can kill the driver/occupants/other road users.
Old 28-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #13
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I look at the parents, the government does not control everything 100% black and white, and if you can't make your kid buy a lesser vehicle and stay alive on the roads (according to those parents), how can you just blame the government. Far to many people want to cop out of responsability. Parents of those kids take a long hard look at yourselves not the government.

EDIT: 2L Sigma or 6cyl commodore, 100k's an hour and a tree dont mix, plain and simple facts.

rant over.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:49 AM   #14
Mutley

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
I look at the parents, the government does not control everything 100% black and white, and if you can't make your kid buy a lesser vehicle and stay alive on the roads (according to those parents), how can you just blame the government. Far to many people want to cop out of responsability. Parents of those kids take a long hard look at yourselves not the government.

EDIT: 2L Sigma or 6cyl commodore, 100k's an hour and a tree dont mix, plain and simple facts.

rant over.
Do you have Kids?
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 02:14 AM   #15
King Nothing
He has, the Knack..

This arguement has come up time and time again, and will keep on doing so as long as kids keep having accidents (i.e. forever)

The solution IMHO is better driver training. Say they limit the number of passengers. Fine. Kid still doesnt learn how to drive properly, and will still end up crashing when it could have been avoided. Only difference is, he only kills himself. But is that good enough? Why should anybody die in an accident at all? Driver training is a far better solution than just putting more restrictions on P platers.

I did a driver training course, and in less than an hour had halved my braking distance and seriously changed my attitude towards driving. This was when I had just gotten my P2 licence. How this is not taught or tested by the RTA is disgusting. Seriously, if the government was to subsidise these driver training courses like what has happened overseas, the trainers would charge less due to the increased number of clients. And kids dont even need all day. If the government was to supply 1-3 hours of driver training per student in year 12 say, teaching the basics of braking in the dry, wet and some basic skid control, I beleive the p-plate road toll would fall drastically. Some theory could be taught in classrooms.
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 04:10 AM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA

rant over.
Bingo,
you wanna make parents wake up and take responsibility.
Let em know that when the coppers arrive on the door early one Sunday morning with bad news, they will take a broom and shovel and ask if they are ready to help clean up THEIR mess.
Shocking, ..maybe, necessary, ..definately.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 04:52 AM   #17
aufairy
Starter Motor

this subject has always been flogged to death as long as there is cars there will be fatalities better driver training yeah sure. but its still going to happen what about suicide rates they are double the road toll but we cant make money out of that and dont want everyone to know how bad the situation is
aufairy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #18
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Not getting into a slanging match about the shows.
No need, the programs are indefensible :->
Old 28-11-2006, 08:37 PM   #19
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Less passengers just means more cars, (more "hoons") and more polution...
Old 28-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, many morons in many cars rather than many morons in one car. That's how I see it. Since they have introduced power restrictions, hasn't the road toll gone up?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 09:38 PM   #21
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Exactly. And all the kids will be driving home drunk and the nerd who doesn't drink won't get invited to the party as the designated driver becomes redunant.

Too many people turn to the government for a solution to their bad parenting skills that start with: 1.Dumping the kids in front of a Wiggles (or similar) DVD to be babysat.
2. Putting a TV (and phone) in the kids bedroom
3. Buying them Playstations where crashing is part of the fun and you never get hurt.
4. Not being allowed to discpline the kids.
5. Supplying the teenagers with alcohol so "at least they know what they have and how much"
etc etc.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 08:38 PM   #22
Miller
It's Millertime!

As stated above, with a little persuasion, a hyundai excel will do 120kmh, only difference is that it takes half an hour longer than a new falcon or commodore. Doesn't matter what the car is, people are still going to be able to do stupid shit. Dick Johnson "Don't ban high performance cars, ban low performance drivers"
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 08:47 PM   #23
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do the parents always call for action after the kid kills himself or herself on the Road, but never before, it’s always after the event they decide something needs to be done?

Humm maybe emotions are running there thoughts and not sense, defensive driver corse well OK but why dose it need to be law, You and you kid both could of went out and done one, in you own free will, why do you need it to be made a law befor you do it??

Power restrictions> Once agene 90% Of the time the parents will control what car the P Plater drives.

Then you look at it and think will any of what they are saying should be changed stop what happened from happening agene, and the Answer is most probably not most of the time, Just the same way most of the Laws they have brought in over the last few years have done very little, Yet people believe bringing in even tougher laws will fix it, WTF.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #24
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Same time next year the same rubbish will be on. Less tv ratings, more action may help.
Old 28-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #25
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

--Sigh--... wanna know the answer?

50kW maximum + 3000rpm rev-limiter + 60kph max speed = stupid accident rate goes down drastically.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 09:29 PM   #26
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
--Sigh--... wanna know the answer?

50kW maximum + 3000rpm rev-limiter + 60kph max speed = stupid accident rate goes down drastically.
No......, but you can still die at 60kph?
Old 29-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
No......, but you can still die at 60kph?
Sure can ... just like the P-plater showing off to mates in Glendenning, NSW the other day.

speed wasn't the factor and neither was fatigue ... it was put down to driver in-experience.

Trying to duck across an intersection against a Give Way sign and getting collected by a truck. The poor truck driver that was involved.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #28
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

bit off topic, but dont you think that no booze in your system while on your p-plates, is just pretty much saying if your going to drink- get wasted???
Old 28-11-2006, 10:03 PM   #29
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
bit off topic, but dont you think that no booze in your system while on your p-plates, is just pretty much saying if your going to drink- get wasted???
No
Old 29-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #30
XFshep
Bodysnatcher

Quote:
i kind of wondered about their logic on this matter, i would like to know the realistic detrimental effects 2 standard drinks has on an average persons ability to drive.
XFshep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post