Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What do you do when you enter roadworks?
Always slow down and do the limit. 68 54.40%
Slow down a little bit to avoid getting a fine. 28 22.40%
Only slow down to the new limit when I see workers. 23 18.40%
Only slow down a bit, regardless of whether there's workers. 4 3.20%
Never slow down, keep driving at the usual limit. 2 1.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
axe

Default Do you obey Roadwork speed limits?

Prompted by my experience driving the M1 roadworks near Wyong every day of the week i'm interested to know what other people do when they come to road works.

Every day when i'm on the road about 50% of vehicles are doing well (20+) over the roadwork limits. I usually set my cruise control to the limit (+ a couple of km to account for the error) and just relax for the 10km but a lot of people don't seem to slow down or only slow a few km/h.

What do you do when you come to a road work zone?

XF Ute, ED XR6 sedan, AUII sedan, BF XR6 sedan, FG XR6T sedan

Now

Ford FGX XR6 Sprint, FG MkII XT EcoLPI
axe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: Do you obey Roadwork speed limits?

if there are workers on site, then yes 100%. in the middle of the night on a PH when they haven't bothered to take the signs down then possibly not. And I think that's the issue here that so often there is no reason that people ignore it.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
roKWiz
Cabover nut

always drive at the posted roadworks limit.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
when they haven't bothered to take the signs down
I actually complained to the minister and RTA about this on the Monaro Hwy a few years ago, where they resurfaced the road through the week and left the signs up over the easter long weekend after they were finished.

apparently because there were some loose stones on the road after sealing it, they decided it was enough of a hazard to leave a 40 work-zone in a 100 zone in the middle of nowhere while no one was working for 4 days straight.

I wasn't impressed with that excuse, but the real question is "why are newly sealed roads left in a 'dangerous' state?" (anecdotal answer is RTA are sh~t at building roads)
Old 04-03-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
I actually complained to the minister and RTA about this on the Monaro Hwy a few years ago, where they resurfaced the road through the week and left the signs up over the easter long weekend after they were finished.

apparently because there were some loose stones on the road after sealing it, they decided it was enough of a hazard to leave a 40 work-zone in a 100 zone in the middle of nowhere while no one was working for 4 days straight.

I wasn't impressed with that excuse, but the real question is "why are newly sealed roads left in a 'dangerous' state?" (anecdotal answer is RTA are sh~t at building roads)
Many industrial type businesses have rules that state that all vehicles used in 'dirty' parts of the property must be hosed or washed before leaving the property to head on a public road.
Construction crews leaving rocks and dirt everywhere is negligent.

Drive down any country road and you will find gravel driveways that have been spread most of the way across a 100km/h zone.
Not to mention where farmers let cows cross the road. I know someone who crashed into a ditch because they hit cow muck on a rural road in the rain.

If roadwork crews are more messy than cows after their job is done maybe they need to retrain or put in 15 minutes on clean up afterwards.

I like the roadwork crews near my home, they throw up the 40 signs when they are out working and take them down when they leave. They leave the road in good condition so there is no need for the slow speed on a main arterial road.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If their are people working, I slow down to whatever the limit in the Roadworks is (normally 40km/h)...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep.

I'm yet to see a Victorian slow down though.
I think it's a state sport, same as never waiting for the lights to stop flashing at railway crossings.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #8
Mainforcepatrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Yep.

I'm yet to see a Victorian slow down though.
I think it's a state sport, same as never waiting for the lights to stop flashing at railway crossings.
I obey the speed limit through road works Mercury but yes many Victorians do not slow down and they like to tailgate and i once had one tooting me and almost sucking my tailpipe he was that close and i pointed to the speed sign and he was itching to get past and as the road went to 2 lanes then blasted past me giving me the finger while hurling abuse.

Just off topic i come across this quite often in Melbs nth west in that the road is perfectly fine with no potholes or any other issue and then without warning you cop a heap of stones hitting the guards the next morning as the road has been resurfaced overnight with tar and loose stones.Does this occur in other cities in Aus or is it a Melb thing.
Mainforcepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #9
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainforcepatrol View Post
I obey the speed limit through road works Mercury but yes many Victorians do not slow down and they like to tailgate and i once had one tooting me and almost sucking my tailpipe he was that close and i pointed to the speed sign and he was itching to get past and as the road went to 2 lanes then blasted past me giving me the finger while hurling abuse.

Just off topic i come across this quite often in Melbs nth west in that the road is perfectly fine with no potholes or any other issue and then without warning you cop a heap of stones hitting the guards the next morning as the road has been resurfaced overnight with tar and loose stones.Does this occur in other cities in Aus or is it a Melb thing.
It was in jest....sort of.

An interesting one I came across 12 months ago was coolgardie to southern cross.
200km+ of roadworks sign posted at 80.
I sat on 100 (otherwise it would have taken forever) with an unmarked car behind me the entire time. He just paced me and waved as he went past in merredin when I stopped for fuel.
200 km at once is a bit rich.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #10
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainforcepatrol View Post

I lived in Victoria untill early 90's and after coming to Sydney, was amazed at the difference in driving attitudes. The tailgating is a big problem here, esp combined with phone users, sad to hear that Vic appears to be following suit. Regarding the roadworks, I experience what your talking about more on side streets or single roads. The major roadworks tend to be quite clean from recent memory and I think it makes a difference which Government is picking up the bill. Talking about damage to bodywork, one of my personal gripes is petrol blowers & whipper snippers. So many operators have no idea what these things to do a cars paint. I have seen garden contractors 'blowing down' cars parked where they have been mowing etc to get the dirt & debris off them...
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I drive at my usual tolerance. If speed zone is 70 or under, I sit at an indicated 5-10 over, if speed zone is 80 or over, I sit around 10 over. If the speed zone is 100 or over, I might nudge 15 over. Never been bothered, and passed numerous cops in the process. If only the cops came out and said we're not going to ping anyone going 10 over, then traffic might actually flow a bit better and driver's would stress a little less on the roads (and you'll see less brake lights on long, straight motorways).

Drove the M1 roadworks the other week, sat at 90 in the 80 zone. If there were cops around, they'd be pulling over those that were still overtaking me at 110 or tailgating others (or so I hope).
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #12
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this gets my goat when drivers will do 95 in a 100 zone while in the right lane so its painfull to overtake then when its an 80km roadwork zone they will still do 95 and go straight past me...then i have to do it all again

there is one near me now in a 100 zone, its an 80 construction zone and it just means people go from 115 to 105 so they do slow down a bit but not much...traffic it pretty heavy so you just go with it
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #13
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After a race weekend I treat them like a pit entry / exit
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 04:26 PM   #14
Seasoned One
Seasoned One

I find that everyone passes me when i do speed limit through road works, which as a previous poster said, frustrates them when everyone doing under the limit under normal circumstances passes me back , usually showering you with stones etc, then catch them up hogging right lane doing under limit a few ks further along..... Also, find it frustrating when there is no one actually working and signs still up, but the powers that be obviously have their reasons..... maybe?
1967 xr Falcon ute 289
1966 xr Fairmont 289
Seasoned One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #15
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Monash Freeway in Vic has had 80kph limits for a long time now on the widening project.
the Majority of the time there is no workers in sight and we are talking about a freeway 4 lanes in each direction.

I like many was doing 90 the other day in the Right hand lane, passing a few cars doing 80
When a guy in a white sprint passes on one of the middle lanes doing about 100.
hes tooting and flapping his arm out the window for people to move left..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP

Last edited by Vesper Martini; 28-02-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Yes; always
Old 28-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #17
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

At night when no road workers are present I do the usual speed limit,but otherwise I do the 40 posted speed.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #18
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I go with traffic flow but I don't jump from one lane to another hoping to get 50 metres ahead.

If just me and there's workers around always at posted limit.

If just me and no-one around usually over by whatever I reckon is a fair thing.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #19
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find it absurd that they have limits of 40 or less when the workers are behind concrete barriers. We happily drive at the posted limit alongside footpaths/pedestrians, but as soon as someone dons a fluroro vest, they turn into sacred cows.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 06:36 PM   #20
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I find it absurd that they have limits of 40 or less when the workers are behind concrete barriers. We happily drive at the posted limit alongside footpaths/pedestrians, but as soon as someone dons a fluroro vest, they turn into sacred cows.
im really struggling to think of some footpaths beside some 100k zones. the barriers also arent anchored like the permanent ones.

try working beside a rd with traffic flying past, really fun when you can't see traffic coz your head is down working but you can hear cars going past 700mm away
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 06:57 PM   #21
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
try working beside a rd with traffic flying past, really fun when you can't see traffic coz your head is down working but you can hear cars going past 700mm away
Exactly, 60km/h past me when I'm whipper-snippering the edges.

Then some P-plate moron thinks it's fun to swerve at you - despite being up on the footpath. Best part was watching his d-head mate hanging out the back window whack his arm on the pole - the bloodcurdling scream all the way down the street told me that was more than a bruise.

I reckon roadworkers would cop it all the time. I've seen maccas drinks chucked at lollipop people too. Nasty.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #22
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Exactly, 60km/h past me when I'm whipper-snippering the edges.

Then some P-plate moron thinks it's fun to swerve at you - despite being up on the footpath. Best part was watching his d-head mate hanging out the back window whack his arm on the pole - the bloodcurdling scream all the way down the street told me that was more than a bruise.

I reckon roadworkers would cop it all the time. I've seen maccas drinks chucked at lollipop people too. Nasty.

Interesting fact on the old lollipop bird.

They are now almost entirely female as they have found that men will sit there and wait when there is a lady there but if it’s a bloke blokes will get up them and ignore them.

When I did my traffic control course I was one of 2 bloke in a class of 30 Irish birds. (That’s another tip if for the yong blokes)
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 09:16 PM   #23
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Voted the top one because it was the closest choice for me of the bunch. Unfortunately most if not all will gradually sneak up over the limit here and there if it's a longish work section . I think basically most of us with any brains try our best to obey the speed displayed even if no one around. Ya just never know who might appear from nowhere if you're speeding.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #24
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Quote:
im really struggling to think of some footpaths beside some 100k zones. the barriers also arent anchored like the permanent ones.

^^^ This man knows
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #25
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AFAIK too if they haven't placed a normal speed limit sign to observe after the roadworks for that road (a lot of times they don't), you are bound to not exceed the work area speed limit til you pass the usual speed limit sign for that road, and that can be kms down the road.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
AFAIK too if they haven't placed a normal speed limit sign to observe after the roadworks for that road (a lot of times they don't), you are bound to not exceed the work area speed limit til you pass the usual speed limit sign for that road, and that can be kms down the road.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You forgot to mention where you are.

But in NSW it's until you get past the 'End Road Works ' sign.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #27
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
plenty alongside 80 zones, and you'd have to be going pretty damn quick to move a non-anchored barrier from any glancing-angle collision. you may be tempted to argue a truck could, but again, if we dont care about trucks travelling next to footpaths where kids are walking with zero protection, why is it suddenly a major safety issue if someone is paid to be there?

Quote:
council workers do so with no speed limits beyond what's posted, at least not here (NSW).
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #28
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I'm buying a Beemer so i don't have to worry about inane stuff like this.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2018, 02:25 PM   #29
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
I'm buying a Beemer so i don't have to worry about inane stuff like this.
Great quote. My wife regularly says people who drive European cars seem to believe they don't have to indicate or give way etc.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #30
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slow to new limit if there are workers or if there is a traffic hazard (e.g., dug up road yet to be resealed), and accelerate once clear regardless of "End Roadwork" sign.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post